Battery tray

Raspy

Looking closer at my rollout battery tray I began to see a couple of things I don't like.  BTW, I have the (4) T-105 battery option.

First is the catch mechanism.  It has about 3/4" of play that allows the batteries to roll out and in just enough to hammer the catch while driving.  Second is that the batteries pinch the wires against the back of the battery cabinet.  With the wires crossed back there, there will be a short eventually.

I fixed this with a 5/8' thick piece of wood dropped in front of the catch to take up the play.  It's about 3" X 15 3/4" and fits nicely.  Then I slid some split loom over the wires and routed them over the top of the batteries as I pushed the tray back in.    This should make the battery box much safer and less likely to break the catch.

Check yours out to make sure it's OK.

• Thanks 8

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

John,

I just stumbled upon this forum post and I will take a look at those wires in the back.  I believe that the "catch" on my tray is already in good shape, but, I'll take a look at that too.  I have noticed that when moving the tray in/out that one must be a bit careful to not pinch the wires that are on the side(s) on the batteries.  I'm guessing that the "split loom" solution will also take care of this.

Thanks!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 3 months later...

Hi this is Craig, (Ollie 176), have you any suggestions on a battery disconnect switch in the battery bay.  I would like to stop all drain on batteries (Trojans) while not being used.  Unhooking the battery cable is time consuming and possible shock hazard.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Wow, John, to me this is a defect and quality control at the Oliver plant should have caught it.  For sure there should not be any play in the battery tray while in transit.  Can you imagine 300# of batteries lying out in the street or highway as you make a turn?!!!  Thanks for bringing this to our attention and it will be one of the things I make sure I check when picking up my Ollie.  These Ollies cost a lot and I believe the components are high quality and so should the workmanship be.

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

Hi this is Craig, (Ollie 176), have you any suggestions on a battery disconnect switch in the battery bay. I would like to stop all drain on batteries (Trojans) while not being used. Unhooking the battery cable is time consuming and possible shock hazard. Thanks

Craig,

Just installed a knife switch on the battery post, top of a battery that breaks negative connection to the trailer. Believe there can be a safer way other than reaching over batteries. I make sure I don't have metal rings or watch on when close to terminals/connections or working on batteries. This switch is rated at 250 amps continuous, and 750 amp surge at 12 volts, as per the seller. The Ollie Barker Jack's highest current draw is 30 Amps per jack, but normally less as per Barker.

Would like to eventually mount a different master disconnect switch, but have not had time to work on it, yet. Thought about putting the switch on a check list before connecting TV to trailer, but after thinking about it, cannot operate the tongue jack until the switch is flipped on anyway.

If someone is aware of a problem using this switch, please let me know. I don't have solar panels and have two 27 series batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20128-Battery-Disconnect-Terminal/dp/B000CQFWLY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481123444&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+knife+switch

LE2