Oliver Rock Guard

GaryJona

Hello I just wanted to post what we had done to protect the front of the Oliver from the Belly Band down. We were going to Alaska for the second time the first was in 2012 in a Casita and I had lots of little rock chips in the front section from all the gravel and roads under repair, I knew I had to come up with a solution. It had to stops the rock chips, the road solution that they use and all the course mud in the rain and watered down road sections.  I put it on as we started the ALCAN and left it on till I was well back into the states. We traveled the AlCAN up and the Cassiar down into Washington state. I used closed cell foam with non-residue duct tape and it all lasted more than a month of freezing temps, rain, heat, and many many miles. Here is a Pic of what I did at least this is a alternative for the question that pops up on line often. Thanks Gary

icda3fpd5qzubwgx1kn3aqwfwwbjmxhv.jpg.19557c9f07c359fee18574a36fb35ba1.jpg

• Thanks 9
  • Like 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

The Oliver performed on an outstanding level the solar and 4 Trogan batteries is a must for us as we used a lot of state, County, Provincial and National Parks when possible and many are dry. We never needed to be overly conservative on use even when using the Furnace when it worked as I will speak to later. If you are going to be in cold weather as we were in the Canadian Ice Fields and camped at the visitors center across from the Columbia Glacier when your furnace decides to stop working have a back up that does not include electric . We used the Mr Buddy Heater and worked well, heated the camper up quick before we went to bed and when we got up in the morning leaving a window open when using Gas of course read directions ( my Disclaimer ). We cooked most all the time outside and use a clam if weather is not conducive. The multi directional TV antenna worked well when station available, Microwave on Inverter was great, extra plugs in cabin we added we enjoyed the ease of use and the team at Oliver are always great Anita, Tommy, Jason & Dustin could not be better. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

So, did you get much chipping around the edges of your guards?

Have you considered getting the vulnerable areas sprayed with a commercial quality bed liner instead? Your choice of a soft material has the benefit of dampening the ricochet effect of stones, so they don't bounce off quite so hard.

How did the frame and axles hold up to all that gravel? I have thought about hanging two or more 1/8 inch rubber (mudflap material) strips right across the width of the frame, in several locations, to knock down airborne stones.

I have not heard of non-residue duct tape, can you elaborate?

How do you think a Stone Stomper tongue net would have worked in your situation?

Did you get much damage to the back of your truck, or see much gravel on top of the bumper?

Sorry for all the questions. I am on a never ending quest to reduce gravel damage to both TV and trailer.....

Thanks for the commentary.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Well after the trip we and our friends Lee & Teri also Oliver owners did the same foam application who traveled on the trip with us also did now he had a home made form of mud tamers as well on his truck and I did not. He probably slowed down some of the rock activity some but not all, the bouncing from your tires as well as who you pass pushes the rock around one thing that was funny we found rocks small but numbers of them on the back of the Oliver bumper, had to think about this one but we figured it was the rocks kicked up by the tires hitting the little part of the Oliver bumper that sticks out pass the sewer box and bounces back up on the bumper. The one thing I would sure do and I found this to be worse on my Chevy than it was on the Ford but a dust guard for the truck Bed I'll probably put some weather guard or something to stop dust intrusion on the tailgate it was bad!!! I have been asked about the truck bed liner spray and I like my Oliver the way it is and if and if ever it was chipped that bad them i would consider it but I want a Natural look.

The frame did great we both would slow down on the gravel and construction zones which you will cross many of these as they only have several months to do road repairs up there and greatly increase our following distance to each other. The one thing also are the frost heaves and that can be worse than the gravel sections because they can be very bad and visually hard to tell if it was going to be a bad one or not, the gravel sections were all nice and level just rocky.

The non residue duck tape I got in the Hardware stores Lowe's, Home Depot etc. its there more expensive but it was on for over a month and came off nicely. Lee had more of an issue with the maker he used to mark the foam for cutting to fit and the rain ran it onto his shell but I think that came out as well.The closed cell foam worked great you could see where the rock hit the foam and all the mud on it from the rains but when you got out of the mud and it rained on a regular rod all was clean somewhat again. The experience from my casita was invaluable for me here covering it from the belly band down and the curve at the running lights from one side to the other is all you need that is where all the activity is at and I will say for me just a rock tamer would not be the single answer a help but not the answer. I think your last question was the back of the trailer you will have dust/mud/dust/mud from your AC unit to the bottom of the bumper we had to hose this and was numerous time on the trip especially the weep holes for the rear windows. We had a very good trip in the case of the weather it only rained a couple days during the whole trip mostly when it was road trip days and when we were in the back of Denali's campground it rained all three days we were there but you have to use their busses and can't drive till you leave the campground anyway, but wet gravel and dirt all the way in and back out.  Well hope I was not too long winded but here is another pick of the two of us on the Pacific Coast campground in La Push Washington state showing the taped on Foam. Thanks Gary

3nooar81i8ltgx99dl1q31sm5pq2lnrf.jpg.89e6a070aecaabe2adf62d0ed5de6835.jpg

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

• Moderators

Gary, good to hear your Alaska trip was successful.  We plan on going after we get a little more experience.

I've been thinking about a Clam ever since you showed us yours when you were here in San Antonio.  Are you still happy with it?  Did you use it often during your trip to Alaska?

I had a "clear bra" on my last Audi that did a great job protecting the front end from rock chips.  I'm considering contacting an installer to see if I could get the front of our trailer covered.  I think it would be good for traveling around the lower 48.  Driving to Alaska is a different level of gravel, rocks and chipping and it sounds like the solution you and Lee used is a good one.

Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hey Mike yes the trip went really well, couldn't have been happier with the weather for where we were and how long we were on the road 3 months. Jona and I watched as you all picked up your Oliver and I'm sure we will meet up along the trail, we enjoyed our time in San Antonio. The clam was excellent, Lee has the old one and I have the newer version with the roof flaps which is much better in the rain but not for cooking in if you have the flaps on since it won't let the smoke escape like it does on the old one with out them. I hope that makes sense but yes we used ours a lot on the trip as we have for two years now especially in cold or wet weather put the sides on put the gas fire pit in the middle and you can be outside in any wet, cold, windy weather. Driving the casita for 4 years only really nicked it up on the Alaska trip so i'm fine in the lower 48 and in 2014 when we did the Maritimes/ Newfoundland we didn't have any issues there than lots of travel on Ferries. I would guess unless it is sealed or tight on the body for what you are talking about I wouldn't want to get any dirt or grit behind it so as to not scratch up the Gel Coat of the Oliver as the wild blew it around.  I would do exactly what I did this time again if I was to the same thing over, hope that helps others for at least one solution or possibility  to use.Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

With the name of trytorelax this might be a great addition for you it is a quick pop up screen room do a google search for clam screen room and you will see it, the green one is the older style they still sell which does not have the flaps on the out side  top to go over the rain panels to stop the rain from dripping in if touched. The newer Brown beige Clam has the flaps outside to go over the rain/wind panels and can come with screen windows you would need to get all 5 or 6 panels they come in sets of 2 or 3 in a package. You will also need some tie down straps for the sides if the winds pick up and done right can really take a lot of wind as we had in Lancaster Penn last October rain, wind and cold and worked great with the Gas fire pit inside. The clam goes up in two minutes and comes down just as fast and only needs one person to do so, the only two negatives or thing to know about is the screen is very fine and Hot in the warm summer months for day use if it gets 90 or above its hot with no breeze second it is 6.4 FT long so long if you have a truck short bed oops so better with the 6.5 bed and not really heavy maybe 25 to 30 lbs not sure. Hope that helps check it out you see lots of these now in the CG's.Thanks Gary

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

Hey thanks Bill, that is ours it is the newer one with the flaps on top with the rain panels on as well and I can see it is mine as for the orange tie downs, my table and Lee's garbage bag holder. Thanks for adding to the post to help them see the Clam. Just for the fun of it I added a picture of our Oliver's, Clam and a Buffalo at the campground in Theodore Roosevelt NP in North Dakota this summer. Take care Gary

ulyrhoahuq16p58pce7rr1jnxqwq0j6k.jpg.55df31439909fbe70ce8107f7389944d.jpg

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

Hey Buzzy good questions let's see if I can cover them from my point of view.

1) I bought the 5 panels and should have bought 6 but let me explain the panels go up with velcro and elastic hooks for the corners very easy to do even in the rain but the door does not have the velcro placement for the panels so we have used small   spring clamps to hold one on the door way in the few times we needed to with cold or raining winds changed directions toward the doorway. In the really cold weather we also use the gas camp fire ring in the center for heat and have had like in Quartzite 5 and 6 people inside with a small 2 x 6 table watching a movie and having coffee tight but friends and campers don't mind.

2)The Clam will fit in a 6.5 truck bed and a few inches to spare it is fatter at one end than the other cause most of the walls all fold up at one end into the bag. The clam is light as well once you pop it up you can move it around some to fit the area your putting it up on, it is wide so easier with two to move when popped up but u can by yourself.

3) Ok really good question and we just have been camping a lot with Lee & Teri he has the older one without the flaps on top with no panels on both work the same for cooking with the panels on the one I have with the flaps that go over the panels will not let the smoke from cooking go out so in that area you would have to take the panels off at the top of the side you are cooking on to allow the smoke to escape this would only be an issue when cooking in the rain nothing that would stop me from buying the newer one.  You know put up a warm or Dry place and they will come, so yes I would go with the size we have it will fit 2 to 4 chairs the fire pit in the middle and a small 2 x 6 folding table nicely we do almost no cooking inside the camper, it has to be late lousy weather and ramon noodles or bowl cereal will do to not cook outside so the campchef would fit just as easily and we have done that. Many times on the Alaska trip we would set up both and one was for cooking the other to relax in but this was two couple traveling together. Well hope that answer your questions best of luck and happy camping. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

Buzzy I think it is the same tuff I used but i found mine t a local flea market near our cabin in Murphy NC. I paid $2 dollars a foot for it, 4 ft wide.  I think is from a local factory or supplier of over runs or seconds. Before I found this I was thinking of buying several sleeping bag pads that they put on the ground under the bags for a little cushion that I think the cheap stuff is also closed cell so as to not absorb any moisture. You do not want anything that would absorb moisture or allow the small dust and grit to get behind the protection layer.  I still have this same cut pieces from the trip so he can be reusable, I just trimmed off the Duck Tape from the foam trying to pull it off would have ripped the padding. Hope this helps. Thanks Gary

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

• 2 years later...

Gary:

Really helpful info!   Thank you.

Which Mr Buddy Heater did you use?  How did you get the propane to it?  Where in the trailer did you park your Mr. Buddy for overnight use?

I assume, maybe correctly, that you used the Oliver on-board furnace, and only used the Mr. Buddy when it failed.  Is this correct?

Thank you,

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Hello, yes only used the buddy heater as a back up and would not run it when we were sleeping.  I placed it at an angle in front of the closet to place the heat down the walk way and not to close to the fridge corner as it does put out a good amount of heat. I always opened up a window in the front and the back of the  camper partially for fresh air and did this before we went to bed and turned it on again when we got up in the morning and ran it then for a while while the wife enjoyed her coffee. I would have to check the model but it was the middle size one that ran depending where you looked for it around $79 to $109 in the stores. The heater uses those small green propane bottles you see in all the camping store and Walmart, I usually carry at least 4 of them as I use them for a couple of my camping stoves and if you run out say in the Yukon or nowheresville USA they triple the price for them. Well I hope that helps you out and you never have to use it but I'm sure glad we had it. Thanks Gary

[attachment file=Oliver Dawson City Yukon.jpg]

Oliver-Dawson-City-Yukon.thumb.jpg.550a8d6e5ead3f47056784490dd4eb7e.jpg

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

Gary:

Very creative solution.  I think this combined with John D's mud/rock flap modifications would be a wise investment before our Alaska trip.   Now for more than a few questions:

Where did you find the closed cell foam?

How thick is it, how much of it should we purchase?

How many rolls of the special duct tap did you require?

How long did it take you to protect your Ollie?

About what did the materials cost for the effort?

Thank you.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I am not sure I can help you on the foam part I got mine at a local flea market in Murphy NC for about $2 a foot and it was about 4 ft. wide so pretty cheap. Before I found this I was thinking about the foam pads they lay under sleeping bags that are also closed cell foam so not to let moisture thru. The duck tape was the low residue tape and only took about one roll to put the foam on and took an hour at the most. I cut the foam at home in Florida to the shape i wanted and applied it to the Oliver when we got into British Columbia right before getting on to the ALcan. The tape held for an easy 6 weeks on the trip to Alaska thru Alaska and back down the Cassiar Hwy. into Washington State then I removed it. It held up great and let no intrusion of the mud and heavy rains  or water we encountered and you will I guarantee you will go thru the same. What ever you do you will enjoy the trip , try not to rush your self, and check out Haines and Hyder Alaska for Bear watching if your there during the Salmon runs. If you go to Valdez be sure you cross over to the Salmon Weir on  the other side of the bay both times we were in Alaska there was a Mother Grizzly that can down every evening with 4 cubs to feed on the salmon alone with the Sea Lions and eagles. Any way good luck the most important area to cover is the areas on each of the front corners inside from the running lights. Thanks Gary

Here is a picture of the better halves from Dawson city waiting on the Ferry to cross from the Provincial campground. This was doing the Top of the World Hwy.

IMG_6299.thumb.jpg.523de520245599badb1da64565d3b237.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81