Oliver Adventures

rideandfly

We had a Oliver Plant tour scheduled last April when a 2015 Elite II was posted for sale in Missouri in the classified section here. We previously planned to purchase a larger tow vehicle first before ordering a 2017 Elite II at the end of this year.

When the used 2015 Elite II became available, we had a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4.0L 2WD pickup towing a 2000 pound all aluminum LivinLite CampLite 11 travel trailer.  Decided to go on the Oliver plant tour, head to SE Missouri that afternoon after the tour to see the Elite II. Thought the used Ollie might come in around 5,000 pounds with empty tanks with our Frontier's towing capacity at 6300 pounds with 630 pound tongue weight capacity.

The couple we purchased the Ollie from had the Ollie set up on their farm with full hook ups. They told us we were welcome to camp in the Ollie for a few days to see how we liked it. We camped in the Ollie on the evening we toured the Oliver Plant. We decided to buy the Ollie and head home to Carolina the next day.

A vehicle pulled out in front of us on the way home and had a real emergency stop situation, the Frontier/Ollie rig stopping easily.  We were also amazed with the Ollie's fine towing manners and towing fuel economy. Weighed our Ollie once home and it came in around 4950 pounds with empty tanks.

We recently decided to purchase a Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 tow vehicle. Just returned from our second TV shake down trip and very impressed with the Ollie/Tundra rig.

Like always,  take too many photos:

Oliver Tour the day before we purchased our Ollie:

Getting ready to tow the Ollie home from Missouri:

Camping at a TN SP on the way home:

Happy Ollie Campers at an Egg gathering last May:

Second visit to the Oliver Plant:

NC Rt. 181 with Table Rock Mountain in the background:

Dexter EZ Flex installation:

Taken yesterday at Bandit's Roost ACE Campground NC:

We're Happy Ollie Campers!!!!!

• Thanks 1

2015 LE2

• Moderators

Bill,

Thanks for the report and the pics!  Any idea of the MPG with the Tundra pulling the Oliver?  Is that a 2016 or 17 Tundra?

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill, Thanks for the report and the pics! Any idea of the MPG with the Tundra pulling the Oliver? Is that a 2016 or 17 Tundra? Bill

Bill,

It's a 2016 SR5 4x4 5.7L Tundra built 7/16, the 2016 SR5 5.7L is equipped with tow package. It weighs in at 6120 pounds with two people on board, full 38 gallon tank, and 50 pounds of stuff, I call this unloaded.  When checking MPG I'm light on the gas pedal, allowing speed to slow down 5MPH going up & allowing speed to increase 5 MPH going down hill.

Unloaded not towing, best fuel economy so far is 20.6MPG during a round trip of 480 miles to VA using 23 1/4 gallons. With less than 1000 miles on the Tundra.

Ran the Tundra with the tow-haul mode ON with tranny in Drive to the NC foothills. The Tundra with the tow mode on has a very responsive throttle and stays in gear longer without hunting gears, assume this is how most modern manufacturer's tow-haul modes are set up.

Did not get to top off with the Tundra before & after the last camping trip, but took photos of the Tundra on board MPG display when arriving at the campground and arriving home after the camping trip with less than 2000 total miles on the Tundra.

Towing the Ollie, 13.1MPG on this 135 mile round trip to the NC foothills.

First leg of trip:

Second leg of trip:

• Thanks 1

2015 LE2

• Moderators

Bill,

Thanks so much for the information.  I'm just starting my search for a new TV and I try to temper all the claims made by each of the manufacturers.  Since I do not put a bunch of miles on any of my vehicles a difference of a mile or two on MPG really doesn't matter to me that much.  Unfortunately, I believe that the towing capacity of the Tacoma is right on the margin for the Elite II.  Therefore, basically I'm "forced" into considering 1/2 ton trucks (yes, I know that there are other vehicles other than trucks out there) and the Tundra has always been near the top of my list.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill, Thanks so much for the information. I’m just starting my search for a new TV and I try to temper all the claims made by each of the manufacturers. Since I do not put a bunch of miles on any of my vehicles a difference of a mile or two on MPG really doesn’t matter to me that much. Unfortunately, I believe that the towing capacity of the Tacoma is right on the margin for the Elite II. Therefore, basically I’m “forced” into considering 1/2 ton trucks (yes, I know that there are other vehicles other than trucks out there) and the Tundra has always be near the top of my list. Bill

Bill,

We currently own a 2.4L Tacoma with Leer Shell and really like this truck. If we ever need to replace it, it will be with a 3.5L Tacoma.  Got an honest 15MPG with the 2013 Nissan Frontier 2WD Crew Cab 4.0L pickup towing the Elite II. Did not want to  tow in the mountains out west with the Frontier and had to install Timbren rear suspension upgrade for towing the Elite II making the ride very rough.

The Tundra is our third Toyota Pickup and we like Toyota's durability.  The fuel economy I'm getting with the Tundra is better than the majority of reports including Toyota's MPG claims, but I work hard to get better fuel economy towing, starting with 40PSI in all four tires and going very light on the gas pedal.

Put white tape on the Ollie's hitch and can easily position the ball under the Ollie hitch using the Toyota back-up camera, using a back-up camera is new to me:

Backing up to the Ollie at an angle:

Ready to lower the Ollie hitch on the ball when the red line covers the white tape:

2015 LE2