Ollie Front Jack Covers Painted White

rideandfly

Oliver started installing black covers on newer Ollie front jacks. Our older white covers had discolored, so decided to paint the existing covers. I did not install a new decal indicating switch operation. Was able to carefully reuse original rubber toggle switch covers and seals. When I take it apart again, will install new toggle switch rubber covers and operation decal.

You can see how much the parts discolored in less than 1 1/2 years:

Under the covers you will find two switches, gear box, light bulb fixture, and 12V motor:

Used Valspar clear plastic spray primer and Valspar gloss white plastic spray paint. Sanded parts with 1000 grit sand paper before priming and lightly sanded primer with 1000 grit sand paper before final spray paint application. Let final paint coat sit over night before assembly.

• Thanks 2

LE2

Nice work, that looks simply great.

Has anyone seen any signs of water damage to the gearbox/ motors on these front units? What is the suggested service interval for lubing the gears, and what kind of grease is used?

Would it be beneficial to make a slip on weatherproof cover for storage? That would help to prevent damage to the finish as well as cracking/ degradation of the flexible switch boots due to UV exposure.

I assume the inside jacks are much less of a concern since they are well protected.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

Good questions and Thanks,

Rear jack heads are under bed or beds inside and protected well. Believe Oliver went to black covers because of discoloration experienced with the original white covers.  Figured painting the existing covers white would hold up longer, will see.

Did not see any signs of water getting inside of the covers on the front jack. Some folks use a waterproof cover to protect the front jack.

Here's the link for the Barker VIP Power jack owners manual:

https://www.barkermfg.com/uploads/5/4/9/4/54943161/vip_3000_all_pages.pdf

Here's maintenance recommendations from the above owners manual PDF file:

"MAINTENANCE:

Once a year, the powerhead should be removed and a liberal amount

of grease (preferably a grease with high melting point) applied directly

to the coupling on which the drive pin rests.

DO NOT POUR OIL into top of the jack post.

Once a year, the housing cover should be removed and the gears

inspected for proper lubrication.

Remove 4 screws and tap around edge of housing to free cover.

DO NOT insert screw driver blade! (This may damage mating

surfaces.)

Before replacing cover, clean mating surfaces.

If lubrication is needed, use Mobil 460 grease or equivalent."

• Thanks 1

LE2

Believe Oliver went to black covers because of discoloration experienced with the original white covers.  

Could that eventually be a problem with the other accessories on the roof?  I think they all have options for black covers so I wonder what it would look like if everything up top were black.   I can't stand the look of yellowed plastic, especially in direct contrast to pure white, which is why I don't like the stock window shades.

Could that eventually be a problem with the other accessories on the roof? I think they all have options for black covers so I wonder what it would look like if everything up top were black. I can’t stand the look of yellowed plastic, especially in direct contrast to pure white, which is why I don’t like the stock window shades.

The bottom part of our Dometic heat pump is black and top half white. Been thinking about painting the interior window shade frames white like the jack covers, but have a couple Ollie projects in line before working on the shade frames!

LE2

See, the problem with being me is that I'm now looking at photos and seeing that the door is 1/100th of a shade different to the fiberglass and it bothers me.  I need help.

Definitely asking Oliver about a black A/C though, if we keep it.  Oh, and a black awning!  I hope all the blacks match.

• Thanks 1

If lubrication is needed, use Mobil 460 grease or equivalent.”

Hmm, that is exotic and very expensive. I wonder what would be a good alternative that would be available in say 4 or 6 ounce tubes instead of the big grease gun cartridges, which are hard to store and carry once opened...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobil-SHC-460-H-D-Grease-2-pc-Synthetic-Grease-/141903892885?hash=item210a219195:g:d~8AAOSwll1WwMrl&item=141903892885&vxp=mtr

http://www.timken.com/EN-US/products/lubrication/Documents/GreaseInterchange.pdf

The Red Line CV-2 grease is a different type, I think, but it is simply stellar in axle CV joint applications.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=82&pcid=17

When non-standard grease is used it is important to not mix in an incompatible type, or unpleasant things can happen.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Just remember that black will heat up the spacing between the shells more than it already does, in the summer time.

As shown by one of our other owners, maybe you could just wrap it to a color you would like....

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

Nice work on the jack cover paint. Ours has yellowed, too.

The ac, oh well... Whoever looks?

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.