Boondocking? ... Can we agree on WHAT is Boondocking?

BoondockingAirstream

The previous four photographs are with our narrower 8 foot wide and 23 foot long Airstream.  If you put an Oliver logo over the Airstream logo... people would believe it was an Oliver.  As... no one takes an Airstream off the highways and Olivers are as rare as a mountain lynx.

Any Oliver can do these sites in the photographs.  You are narrower and have better clearance.  It just takes some experience and possible traveling with someone who has already learned what is possible and when just to... find a way to turn around and depart the area.

It all depends on why you have your Oliver.  No one blames you for not having an interest in Off the Grid or Base Camping.  This is a big investment and you want to avoid doing any harm to your trailer. My point is that if my low clearance Airstream can do this... you have not seen the other sites we have been camped.

Now with a longer 25 foot trailer and six inches wider... we mostly Base Camp.  We get to an area that is convenient and use the tow vehicle to get further back into the wilderness.  Sometimes, finding some great camp sites we can easily get to.

Ask questions.  I can already tell that there are a good number of true Boondockers following this thread.  As a rule, most true Boondockers do not like crowds... but make exceptions when asked.  Two to four trailers 'in training' is more than enough.  Once you have liberated yourself from PAY campsites with crowds, noise and just plain obnoxious campers... you will be ready to put your Oliver to work.

When you do discover Base Camping... post those photographs.  Seeing is believing.  Sometimes... there is no place like Home on the Range.

DSCN0957.thumb.jpg.fec75f4ece502fdddfc99b84a6f405c3.jpg

DSCN2406.thumb.jpg.0c75362570f7d43ebf3a4a887bb82757.jpg

DSCN3561.thumb.jpg.2dbd76de818c93a4124d1011fc820900.jpg

Buzzy... I have followed the Hull numbers and some literature concerning Oliver Trailers.  Reintroducing the 23 foot is a perfect size for a family to go anywhere and not need a tow vehicle designed to haul tons of trailer.

The Rocky Mountains can experience snow in July, although at higher elevations.

June, July and August are popular months for out of state travelers.  Locals avoid many places at the times around holidays.

The heat and humidity of lower elevations give many an incentive to enjoy the low humidity and the temperature drop is large in some cases from a High and a Low at elevation.  October to March in the High Country can have bad results as far as a blizzard.  I am sure there is a chart somewhere for all months in various locations.  We had frost north of Gunnison, Colorado in late June!  Hard frost and snow still on Cottonwood Pass.

Off the Grid camping offers unlimited options in most of the Rockies.  Wyoming and New Mexico provide millions of acres.  Keeping above 3500 feet elevation is the number I always prefer for perfect temperatures.

We have camped in snow and blizzards.  It is the fan to operate the furnace that has limitations, unless you idle your tow vehicle.  We will be getting a propane portable heater for next year.  And solar as we begin to spend more free time Off the Grid.

There are many things a Boondocker needs to have available for the large variety of weather conditions at elevation.  The best part is in the Spring... the snow is going to melt.  Get snowed in November... you had better have a snowmobile to commute into town.

We were in Rocky Mtn National Park last year in mid September, and it was the perfect time. The elk were in full rut, the weather was nice and the aspens were in full color. Perfect time for hiking. Love the fall season.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Why not camp in April or May? I understand there is snow during those months. For an Ollie, that would not be a problem.  

Buzzy, the _remote_ camping season in the Western Interior is dictated primarily by altitude, but secondarily by sun exposure. Keep in mind that snow depth can often be many tens of feet, and even deeper in drifts on the lee side of windy ridges. A southern facing slope with few trees will dry out completely early in the season, but north facing slopes, or ones in very heavy tree cover, can remain impassible to vehicles well into summer.

Around Spokane I have to deal with snow berms blocking small secondary forest roads as late as early June, on the northern faces; this is with maximum elevation of about 6000 feet in the Idaho Panhandle. OTH, on the Colorado Plateau the areas way up high (10K and above) open much later. The Alpine Loop 4wd route near Durango is a good example - it gets plowed in June to allow the Jeeps to get through the 12,000+ ft passes. Often the walls of snow in the cuts are two or three times your height.

So, early in the season to get into the real back country you must stay low or stay south. Or camp at low altitude and drive a snowmobile into the mountains ;) ... If you want beautiful camping in April (or even earlier), go to the Moab area. At around 4000 feet it is warm and dry, and there are no snow worries. The Grand Canyon is a little bit further south. The North Rim at near 9000 feet is completely impassible that time of year, until the road gets plowed in mid or late May.

On one hand it is a little frustrating, having to wait for the snow to clear. On the other, you can pick your altitude for comfortable camping conditions. Low down in the early and late season, up high in mid summer when the deserts are blisteringly hot.

Here's a typical scene at altitude on a south facing slope in northwest NV, at around 7000 feet in mid May: (Open in new tab - I cannot get the formatting right).

And a quarter mile around the bend in the shady north side:

This illustrates why you need caution when towing a larger trailer. You must plan for sudden blockages or dead ends. The LAST thing you want is to have to back your trailer down a mile of narrow twisty forest roads looking for a turn-around! (Here is a great scenario where a front receiver and a backup camera on the trailer would be helpful!! ... Assuming you had room to uncouple and turn the truck around.) When in doubt, scout ahead on foot or better yet, on a mountain bike. Don't even contemplate driving through the berm. It will swallow your full sized rig no matter how capable. A dirt bike can get over it, sometimes. Maybe.

Finally, in the northern latitudes many NFS and other campgrounds _may_ not open until about Memorial Day and they close in early fall when the snow starts.  It is a short season indeed if you have to rely on official campgrounds and especially dump stations. This is why primitive boondocking is so appealing to me. No crowds, few worries.

Sorry, no Oliver in the pictures. Maybe next summer.

Primitive camping in the west is fun and can be extremely rewarding, but you need to understand the terrain and weather and be extra prepared for unexpected situations and breakdowns.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Regarding camping out West, I now realize you have more space and even if you have out-of-state campers, you do not fill-up in June, July and August. (Except maybe in the “tourist traps”!) Real nice! Buzzy

Except for the big population centers like Seattle, Portland or Salt Lake City. The urban areas are full of RVers and they indeed do FILL up the parks in summer. A reservation at any state park is a good idea, especially a popular one near a big city.

You are more or less correct about the other parts, except the weekends can sometimes be really busy. Finding a spot in a popular lakeside campground mid-week is usually a non-issue. Friday evening, not so much.

The more popular National Parks are by far the worst. Do not expect to visit Glacier, Yellowstone or Zion in mid-season without encountering VAST crowds of tourists. The stunning Great Basin or similar "unknown" Parks are seldom a problem and just as enjoyable without so many darned people. I tend to avoid National Parks anyway due to their restrictive pet policy. There are plenty of great alternatives where your dog can come on the trail with you.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Having just spent two months in Wyoming, both on and off the grid, I can confirm John's analysis of campsite availability.  Where possible, I made reservations in advance and in those places with established campgrounds that didn't take reservations I always tried to arrive prior to 3pm (these are camps that usually had no hook-ups but did have a pit toilet and a central water location.  In places like Yellowstone you MUST plan on arriving MUCH earlier.  I arrived at Pebble Creek Camp in Yellowstone at 5:45am and was second in line.  All non-reserved sites in Yellowstone were taken no later than 9:30am for the two weeks that I was there (mid-August).  If one plans to stay in a place like Cody or West Yellowstone in order to do laundry, restock, take a bit of R & R (read that as being able to have a meal cooked by someone other than myself), etc. then you should allow at least three months prior to arriving to make reservations and/or get to the national forest campground very early in order to get a site.  Even places that one might expect to be empty for boondocking that are as much as 20 miles up a dirt road will likely have others in the area and the nicer sites will probably be taken even though no people will be there (during the week).  Having said this I must also say that I never had trouble finding a site for the night - all it takes is a little planning and getting on the road a bit early in the morning.

Bill

P1010012.thumb.jpg.dde3787c08b6622b406eb9d6f06a192a.jpg

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Buzzy, don't in any way get discouraged by these last comments. National Parks are certainly cool, but there are millions of acres of virtually unoccupied land available for exploring. Even in Utah, with all it's big parks (and hoards of tourists) you can easily get off the grid in stunning scenery. Especially if you make your trip at one end of the busy season, or in late Spring or early Fall.

I love exploring in rural Montana, ghost town hunting. In some places where you are wandering around on bumpy dirt ranch roads you might not see another vehicle or human for half a day.

OTH, if you head by highway toward Glacier or Yellowstone, you suddenly will see yuppified boom towns, crowded  campgrounds and tour buses full of Old Age Pensioners headed to the Big Attractions.

Pick your poison. I hate crowds. ;)

visitation.png

In contrast Great Basin NP, which is pretty much unknown and on the road to nowhere in NV, gets about 80,000 visitors ...... annually.

BTW, when driving around out here be prepared for long hauls and keep the tank above half full. Sometimes it can be 100 miles to the next services. What fun!

Southeast Montana along the primitive Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway:

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/montana/beautiful-byways-in-montana/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

John,

It certainly was not my intent to discourage anyone from either making reservations, traveling nor boondocking in Wyoming during the summer months.  However, I am a firm believer in both knowledge and planning and that is all I was trying to convey.  Those traveling to areas such as this for the first time are more than likely to want to visit those areas that are well known.  And, frankly, I think they should - once.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

John, Bill and Buzzy... you have to stir the pot to get the ingredients for Boondocking right.  What team work!

Southwestern Montana, Idaho and western Wyoming are Boondockers 'Gone to Heaven' camping areas!  But, try it during the months of May to September.  July can be HOT along the lakes at 1,000 feet elevation and COOL at 5,000 feet elevation.  So when you choose an area look at he elevations.  Southwest Montana is High, Dry and comfortable during the Summer months.

So many campsites in the National Forest... why even consider paying at a RV Park.

Swimming at the State Parks on the west side of Flathead Lake (South of Lakeside, Montana) and parked on pieces of real estate that home builders will pay a million dollars to build upon.  Phillipsburg and the Wisdom River... pan sapphires and camp in the forest.  The Missouri River and the head waters.  The Yellowstone River is wide and we have camped on the beaches on the north side of the river... Boondocking.  No reservations needed... just a map and a little curiosity.

Finding the first couple Base Camp sin the forest is the toughest.  Once you catch on that you can do it on your own... 'who needs a stinking badge?'  Treasure of the Sierra Madre quote.  All of the photographs are from some early Montana campsites.

Both Oliver 1 and Oliver 2 Elites can camp at these sites as my 23 foot Airstream.  No plans.  No reservations.  No crowds.  Pick a National Forest and... look.  Northeast Montana is a bit brushy as it is lower elevation, so Forest Service designated sites are best.  Real... brushy.

DSCN1992.thumb.jpg.351ad7be14273dbd99088101e093c793.jpg

DSCN2018.thumb.jpg.3619e24cbf4bd38895003651b8c26ed8.jpg

DSCN2064.thumb.jpg.06846ca3f057ba48492ed8099705577b.jpg

DSCN1987.thumb.jpg.4108c3ad7267ff330948009e048c8d4a.jpg

DSCN2002.thumb.jpg.843689b055361ce5d2a6182f719eed07.jpg

• 10 months later...

To an Off the Grid trailer camper... Boondocking could be parked at a WalMart or Costco parking lot over night.  Or an established campsite without hookups is Boondocking to most, but not all.  The term is very evasive for a firm definition.  It is the experience of YOUR travels that will eventually define What is Boondocking.

Some, as ourselves, use 'Off the Grid Boondocking' to indicate being camped where there are no facilities and only what your check list provided for this trip... put into your Oliver!  Period and... someone else may even dispute this!  You need a bandaid and did not pack one... next time.  No pen or pencil... next time.  Flashlight... next time.  By your first year of camping in your Oliver... your list will be completed... tweezers?  Get it on the computerized check list... you will need tweezers sooner than later!

My wife has a FOOD LIST, a CLOTHES LIST and how much dog food will be needed for two weeks on the road.  Each of us will have different needs and different lists.  Tools for minor repairs.  Batteries.  A good book or... dozen.

You get it.  Enjoy your individual Adventures... and be sure to post your Oliver in locations that only the gopher or humming birds may know where you camped.

Caveat: WEIGHT is not your friend when towing.  Do not overload your Oliver or your tow vehicle.  Your two vehicle will have its limitations posted on the doors side wall.  Tire pressure is important.  Avoid too much JUNK.  Paper plates can be disposed and light.  Plastic cups, versus glass that can break.  Just... THINK Boondocking and you will do, just... fine.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

The west has loads of boondocking opportunities. But those of us who love the eastern half of the us can find plenty. With research.

Many coe ( army corps of engineers) parks have minimal facilities, corresponding low or no fees, and amazing views. Ditto Forest service campgrounds. And state Forest sites. A few county and town sites are also off the beaten track.

Do we have the rugged Western scrub/ Mesa landscape? No. But many beautiful river, dammed lake, pond , flood plain sites.

It can take some research time, but even in the east, it's possible. If you get off the main roads.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 6 years later...

It has been two years ago that Nancy and I purchased a used 2019 Elite II.  The Oliver is a perfect Boondocking Off or RV Park travel trailer.

The 27 Foot 2019 Airstream has been parked in the RV Garage, since the purchase of the Oliver. Many would notice immediately the Oliver has much less room than an Airstream. That is True. Although, what the Oliver may lack in length and also a bit narrower than an Airstream... the Oliver has EVERYTHING  the Airstream has and a stronger frame.

The Oliver Elite II is narrower than an Airstream by 12 inches.  The Airstream, for more clearance OTG, I had installed a 3 inch lift and upgraded the 15 inch tires/wheels to 16 inch Michelin LT tires and Wheels... just what the Oliver came with from the factory as stock.

The Oliver has the SAME clearance as the Airstream with 3" lift and upgrade to 16 inch Tires.  So, both our Airstream and Olive Elite II both can handle Off the Grid travel. Six lugs... and those Michelin E Rated tires... take you everywhere without fear... so far.

The Oliver, with the shorter length advantage, can travel easily on Off the Grid Forest Service Roads and Two Rut Trails.  Our Airstream can travel the same roads... but only 80% of those roads the Oliver can easily travel.  New Mexico and Wyoming photographs.  The rear bumper limits the Airstream on uneven roads.  The Oliver... no problem.

Having Oliver factory Two Solar Panels and the Four Six Volt Batteries... we have had NO 12 volt problems.  The Propane Components operate very well at all elevations we have traveled in the Rocky Mountains.  Ten Thousand Feet.... no problem.  Parked out side with Solar Charging... ready to go when we feel like loading up and hit the road.  Yaaa Hooo....

I include some photos of OTG Boondocking travel... to replace the Airstream examples. We use a Folding Ramp for us and the three Blue Heelers to enter and leave the trailer easily. It folds up and we use it when refueling the Tow Vehicle on the back seat and the Heelers can walk down and go up easily.  Just a FYI.

If you are an Off the Grid Boondocker with an Oliver Elite II having 12 volt Solar, Propane, Electric, Battery Appliances... you are 100% ready to disconnect from RV Parks are travel the Wilds of the Western USA this Season.

Our three Blue Heelers have their pillows set that they find comfortable and anxious to spend the night in comfort.  The 2019 Airstream and 2019 Olive Elite II have the appliances we need for Off the Grid.  With the ALL Electric model Airstreams being produced today... the 2019 Oliver is as modern as we need.  Our Homes On Wheels.  🙂

DSCN1069.jpg

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

Edited by BoondockingAirstream
typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

My mind just went bonkers trying to calculate the number of popped interior rivets on that guided trip.  I did get rather proficient with drill, punch, and rivet gun.

Did I mention that I’m slowly getting over aluminitus.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

"slowly" ?????

😊

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

My mind just went bonkers trying to calculate the number of popped interior rivets on that guided trip.  I did get rather proficient with drill, punch, and rivet gun.

Same here, it’s a slow recovery process, brother 😎👍🏼

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

4 hours ago, BoondockingAirstream said:

It has been two years ago that Nancy and I purchased a used 2019 Elite II.  The Oliver is a perfect Boondocking Off or RV Park travel trailer.

The 27 Foot 2019 Airstream has been parked in the RV Garage, since the purchase of the Oliver. Many would notice immediately the Oliver has much less room than an Airstream. That is True. Although, what the Oliver may lack in length and also a bit narrower than an Airstream... the Oliver has EVERYTHING  the Airstream has and a stronger frame.

The Oliver Elite II is narrower than an Airstream by 12 inches.  The Airstream, for more clearance OTG, I had installed a 3 inch lift and upgraded the 15 inch tires/wheels to 16 inch Michelin LT tires and Wheels... just what the Oliver came with from the factory as stock.

The Oliver has the SAME clearance as the Airstream with 3" lift and upgrade to 16 inch Tires.  So, both our Airstream and Olive Elite II both can handle Off the Grid travel. Six lugs... and those Michelin E Rated tires... take you everywhere without fear... so far.

The Oliver, with the shorter length advantage, can travel easily on Off the Grid Forest Service Roads and Two Rut Trails.  Our Airstream can travel the same roads... but only 80% of those roads the Oliver can easily travel.  New Mexico and Wyoming photographs.  The rear bumper limits the Airstream on uneven roads.  The Oliver... no problem.

Having Oliver factory Two Solar Panels and the Four Six Volt Batteries... we have had NO 12 volt problems.  The Propane Components operate very well at all elevations we have traveled in the Rocky Mountains.  Ten Thousand Feet.... no problem.  Parked out side with Solar Charging... ready to go when we feel like loading up and hit the road.  Yaaa Hooo....

I include some photos of OTG Boondocking travel... to replace the Airstream examples. We use a Folding Ramp for us and the three Blue Heelers to enter and leave the trailer easily. It folds up and we use it when refueling the Tow Vehicle on the back seat and the Heelers can walk down and go up easily.  Just a FYI.

If you are an Off the Grid Boondocker with an Oliver Elite II having 12 volt Solar, Propane, Electric, Battery Appliances... you are 100% ready to disconnect from RV Parks are travel the Wilds of the Western USA this Season.

Our three Blue Heelers have their pillows set that they find comfortable and anxious to spend the night in comfort.  The 2019 Airstream and 2019 Olive Elite II have the appliances we need for Off the Grid.  With the ALL Electric model Airstreams being produced today... the 2019 Oliver is as modern as we need.  Our Homes On Wheels.  🙂

DSCN1069.jpg

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

Awesome pictures.  Once I get some time to travel, I will be adding some of my boondocking experiences.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

Interesting other 'Former Airstream Owners' that found the Oliver Elites as excellent choices. Both are heavy travel trailers and ride firmly 'attached to the road' and very stable owing in all kinds of conditions.

I was going to sell our 27/28 foot 2019 Airstream, after the first year testing out the 2019 Oliver Elite II.  But just could not do it after making it a very reliable Off the Grid Airstream.  🙂

After 'tweaking' the 2019 Airstream with added hardware and improved the interior pop rivet issues with Lath Screws... it was solid.  Interior cabinets had been attached to the walls with unreliable screws and few brackets.  After improving the interior, I could not let it go after making the Airstream Off the Grid upgraded. Also upgraded to 16 inch wheels and Michelins.

The Oliver... has much less to upgrade to be an 'Off the Grid' upgraded.  Fewer screws to manage on hinges and hardware to secure cabinets.  Less is best...  Not much to go wrong as far as cabinets. Even the appliances have been cooperative.

The Truma hot water system was not repairable after purchase and removed it.  Probably going to find a simpler system and not concerned with 'instant hot water' when Boondocking.  A folding table, a pot of hot water off the propane stove... and maybe jump into a river... makes you feel.... ahhhhh some.  Yep.

The plug to the electrical outlet of the Refrigerator had dropped out and found that once we put the Oliver on home power and did not work.  Pulled the drawer out and saw the plug not plugged into the outlet.  The Truma had three service receipts, two I have in my folder for repair and obviously was not replaced or repaired.  My mistake not doing a 100% top to bottom inspection.  You may want to remember this if you plan to buy a Travel Trailer out of Warranty.  My only complaint.

After owning three Airstreams, the third was easy to upgrade with better brackets and hardware from coming apart.  On or Off the paved roads.  Each Airstream was modified from the 2006 Airstream.

The Oliver worked out so well for us, it is now our 'Special Purpose Boondocking Travel Trailer'.  The manufacturing and marine hardware make the Oliver the #1 Choice for anyone who camps out and needs a reliable 'Home on Wheels'.  The Airstream in comparison uses similar hardware that your home uses for hinges, and fabricated cabinets that are mounted inside with screws.

The Oliver 'build' leaves little to vibrate loose, when being used, compared to the majority of other Travel Trailers.  I would not hesitate to call the Oliver much easier to go from paved to unpaved camping locations.  Fewer parts to come loose.

I am a Geologist who is always 'looking for interesting' places to explore.  Wife and Heelers enjoy the open spaces, mountains to wander among and come home satisfied with our choice of trailers and know which is best for the NEXT Adventure.  🙂

I also Tow on the Ball with the a 2016 F350 Diesel 4x4 without worry or sway.  Same with the Airstream, towing on the ball without needing Weight Distribution or Sway Control.  A smooth ride and never regret experimenting with towing options.

The Airstream or Oliver Elite are easy to sell when the time arrives.  We plan to keep both and am confident that the Oliver and Airstream will manage to provide everything we expected from a Travel Trailer while Boondocking.  

DSCN0489.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0559.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

• Like 5