Noobs

Grenfell

My wife and I live in New Hampshire and we have been researching and are interested in an RV lifestyle in retirement. We are currently tent campers, backpacking occasionally (of late that’s turning into much more occasionally). We have 3 dogs and a couple of cats, bees didn’t make it through the winter and we’ll be taking a break from beekeeping. We don’t own a truck (yet) and at this point are researching TT’s and have been drawn to the molded fiberglass models for all of the stated reasons; the Ollie in particular has us infatuated. We have enjoyed reading posts from this community and are encouraged by the warm and welcoming atmosphere. We love hiking, fly fishing, scuba, travel and all of the stuff a lot of this community enjoys. Thanks for having us!

Pete

• Thanks 2

Pete, Welcome to the forum. There is (almost) everything you need to know about an Ollie right here on the forum. Except, how are you going to deal with 3 dogs and 2 cats in the trailer?  That should be fun. We travel with 1 dog, a German Shepard, and will soon start taking a cat along also. First we have to wait till the other old cat croaks and the old cow goes elsewhere, then we can stay out for longer periods of time. It's a real pain to keep asking the neighbor gal to tend to our animals.

It's nice to have the dog with us, but they can restrict your activities sometimes, depending on where you are staying.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Hi Stan,

thanks for the post. I should have mentioned that we're a few years out from our purchase (we're research freaks to some degree) and by that time it will be 2 moderately portable dogs. In the interim, we'll continue to follow the posts here and perhaps make the trip to TN to have a factory tour.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Welcome, I agree that you can never have enough research. Luckily for you, there are now a few trailers in the state that you can look at, I'm in the middle Buzzy's in the south, there might be one on the Maine border shortly... so if you want to check one out before going all the way to TN just let out a shout and I'm sure you'll have no problem.

Good luck on the research, we did for more than a year before lucking into finding our used Oliver.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Hi Randy,

thank you for the post. Yes, seeing one up close and personal in NH or ME would be ideal prior to the factory tour. We're on the eastern side of the state. At some point in the next few months it would be great to see an Ollie up close so, I'll send up a flair at that point to see what's what.

Best,

Pete

Just wanted to say "Hi". East Rochester NH here. We had the opportunity to see and tour "Buzzy's" Elite ll twin bed. It is a magnificent piece, of a quality built travel trailer. We loved everything about a Oliver thru research, but until you step inside one, you will always question the space in your mind. For us it will be perfect!  We were pleasantly surprised with the bathroom and saw that doing the business needed would have plenty of space. We want to travel and camp, not drag a house with us or sit inside watching tv all day. That being said, it is comfortable enough to do that (without feeling confined) should bad weather happen for a few days and it also has all of the comforts of home that you might miss! ( The stereo was ..just..wow..especially with Buzzy's great music selections) The furnace was very quiet, also. The air conditioner was very quiet on the lower setting, which after having it on high to initially cool off, is all you would need. We can not wait for retirement and to buy one and get on with our adventures. Best wishes.

New Hampshire residents.

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, LTZ/short box, 5.3L Ecotec3 V8 w/ tow/haul mode /20 inch wheels

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

8/25/2019, we purchased the previously owned “2017 Oliver Elite ll  Hull #170, Standard King Bed, Solar package, Nature’s Head Composting Toilet and all the extras”! 

Hi Buzzy,

Agreed, your # 1 concern/question regarding the interior is a big one for us as well. We've checked out your YouTube on the bedding option you selected and we're uncertain what to do there even - better to go with a twin or the king option, if we go with the king is it a pain to get out of the bed (crawling to the foot of it from the head) will the trailer feel too narrow, etc. Why do some owners go with the Elite rather than the elite II - is it primarily due to tow vehicle capability, or is it simply that it was big enough for 2 and big enough is big enough? Pricing feels similar on both relatively.

Joanne and I would love to see your Ollie - what a thoughtful, generous offer!! We can/will make ourselves available on any M or W that works for you. We can sort out the details via pm.

best,

Pete

Hi Muppy,

I used to live in E. Rochester so howdy neighbor! Very encouraged by your tour of Buzzy's Ollie; until you can actually see the fit & finish up close it's hard to tell what's what. Joanne and I sound similar to you two, pre - retirement planning is what we're doing as well, and it's all about the outdoors and adventure. Still seems much too far away....

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete and Joanne, sorry I have not responded sooner, but have not logged in for a few. We moved here from Epping to a over 55 community when Hubby was 55 and I was 50. Thinking of downsizing more now and  selling. I am 59, Hubby 64 and sick of the yard and house maintenance. Hope you get to see a Oliver soon, it really will help settle the decision for one or wether to move on  to something else. We have stopped looking at other brands now ?

Cheryl

New Hampshire residents.

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, LTZ/short box, 5.3L Ecotec3 V8 w/ tow/haul mode /20 inch wheels

Retirement ( 12-31-2017)  

8/25/2019, we purchased the previously owned “2017 Oliver Elite ll  Hull #170, Standard King Bed, Solar package, Nature’s Head Composting Toilet and all the extras”! 

Hi Cheryl,

thank you for your post. Joanne and I are thinking similarly. We took your advice and Buzzy was generous enough to bring his Ollie up and we got the grand tour. What a beauty!! Joanne and I are 56 and as such need to keep working for a bit more - a lot more :< actually but our intention is to continue to follow this site as well as more research. Joanne did remark after we took our tour, "I think we've found our trailer!".

Happy Fall,

Pete

Pete, Welcome!

We purchased our first camper, a used Chalet A-Frame pop-up during 2010 after tent camping for over 30 years. During one of our first camping trips with the Chalet at Mount Pisgah NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway, we saw an Oliver. The owners were very nice folks answering all of our questions while showing us their Ollie. Like you, we were very impressed with the Ollie. At that time Olivers were not being built, but we eventually purchased a used Elite II earlier this year.  We appreciate how the Ollie enhances camping trips!

LE2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

thank you for your post. Interesting, we were considering an Aliner ourselves (or a Chalet, etc.). I think we've stopped looking at other trailers because the Oliver impressed us so much. Now it's just a matter of cash...stay tuned!

best,

Pete