Help, I'm being tempted by the dark side....

Overland

image.thumb.png.f569601a5d99a048cd3762ec2ea78df9.png

You need look no further than their own website....Notice the nice fat dent in the aluminum (front corner) and it's not even off the factory floor yet.....Not to mention the wood floor, conventional frame style, looking forward to replacing leaking rivets, etc.  I've had several camp trailers in the past that have relied on wooden components, and they just don't stand the test of time.  Glad to spend a little more $ for the strength of construction and lower maintenance of a fiberglass trailer.

• Thanks 1

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Actually Overland you bring up a very interesting point.  There is clearly a sweet spot for a well built camper hitting around the $40K mark.

There are many in this forum who were former Casita owners who bellied up to the bar and have plunked down a significant chunk of change for the Ollie.  While the Ollie may have a ~40K base price, it's not difficult to get a sticker price of over $60K when you drive off the lot.

As a former Airstream owner, our 2007 unit was a great unit...it was 25', full sized fridge, and could sleep up to 6.  (And it was around the $60K mark).  With that being said, we've seriously considered an Ollie for the better part of the year, but the cost and the differences between Airstream and Ollie have delayed our decision.  Personally I would have bought an Ollie a long time ago if a) the price had be lower or b) the trailer would have been larger.

Ollie is one of the best built campers in the market.  No question...But you pay top dollar for that.

Just one man's opinion...and no, I don't think AS is the dark side...both trailers have a place in the market...

• Thanks 1

Happiness is seeing Atlanta in your rearview mirror. :-)

GreyGhost - funny, my eye went right to that dent as well.  Strange that they wouldn't photoshop that out.  Here's the list I made about what I don't like about the Basecamp:

The awning situation is awful - the one they sell with it is tiny and you have to get on a step stool and thread it through a channel to put it up. That's a real pain, it seems, and the curved roof and sides mean that going aftermarket may be impossible.

I could be wrong, but it seems like rainwater would all be sent right to the rear hatch.  Maybe there's a diverter of some sort over the door.

Ground clearance is marginal at best and there seems to be a lot of stuff hanging down to get bashed.

Suspension sucks

Plywood framing and aluminum sheeting possibly won't hold up well - depends on the frame and how well they've engineered everything, but it's a potential risk.

On the video, you can see a caulked seam along the perimeter of the roof, which is an obvious failure point.

Black water tank - seems so out of place on this trailer. No idea why they didn't do at least a cassette and they should have really done a composting toilet.

Everything else is really price/value. I'd like more solar, batteries, bigger water tank, etc. but for what they're advertising it for they seem ok.

ridgwayk - I think that in years past, the small Ollie could be had for a bit over $40k even loaded up.  The problem with the small Ollie to me isn't so much the price itself, but how close the price is to the big Ollie.  I know there are reasons for that which I'm O.K. with, but when you're making the decision of which Ollie to buy, it's really hard not to go with the big one, which for me is really more trailer than I need.  And it comes with the baggage of extra weight, poorer maneuverability, poorer gas mileage, etc.  Still, it's only $5 or $10k or so more, so of course I'm going with that one!  lol

I priced out an Elite with solar last year and it came out to $56k - add a few grand more for this year's model.  Add to that - Oliver doesn't deal. You pay MSRP whereas Airstreams are usually 20% or more off their list price. So maybe $25k more for the little Ollie - not chicken feed.  In so many ways, the Oliver is better - more rugged, better suspension and clearance, bigger tanks, bigger battery and solar, more options, etc., but you pay for it and it's 1,000lbs heavier.

I say 'dark side' fully tongue in cheek.  I think Airstreams are the classic to which every other travel trailer should be compared.  In my mind, Oliver is their equal - better in some ways, worse in others, but on the whole they're peers and the choice between the two comes down to individual priorities and preferences.

• Moderators

I like Airstreams.  I like what they've done with the Basecamp, some nice features.  If Airstreams were made with the attention to detail as an Oliver I would be inclined to give them more consideration.  I don't know how you do that with as many as they produce!  Even so, Airstreams are timeless and grab attention as they go by.  Of course, we get tons of comments and questions about our Oliver (even from Airstream owners).  We made the right decision.  Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

If you are going to compare units, AS Basecamp to an Ollie, keep your comparison to the Oliver Elite.  While similar in size, amenities and price (base price) there is no comparison on quality.  Oliver is superior. I would advise revisiting the need for a solar powered unit.  I have a 2015 Oliver Elite.  After purchasing  it, I drove over 4 k from coast to coast.  Although I struggled with solar or not, in the end I am glad I did not have it installed.  I spent 3 days in Monument Valley, Utah with just battery power, gas water heater and my fresh water tank full.  After 3 days, my electric monitor displayed 12.5 batter life, despite running the fan day and night, lights, water heater, everything except AC and Microwave.  My style of camping is staying in a park for no more than a few days.  The ability to camp using battery power, pulling my trailer that is more aerodynamic and no drag from a solar unit (more MPG vs. solar power) much better fits my needs.

The electrical, plumbing, wiring, water tanks, etc is all contained WITHIN the hull, with nothing hanging down, exposed to the elements of weather, etc, makes the Elite a true 4 season camper.

Also, do not overlook Oliver's new approach to upgrades.  The new wiring harness is built as a "Plug and Play" capability.  In the event you are unsure that you may /may not want the upgrade, you can add so many other amenities later on post purchase, with little trouble because the unit is prewired.

As a owner of a Oliver Elite, I too compared the AS Basecamp before purchasing my Ollie. My Elite meets all my needs and exceeds many of my expectations.  Look at what your NEEDS and EXPECTATIONS are before purchasing.  Do a fair comparison, not larger to smaller

a satisfied and Happy Camper

Hardrock

IMG_0520.thumb.jpg.17343ebb2e6a9353828d4f5220cc82ef.jpg

• Thanks 2

The ability to camp using battery power, pulling my trailer that is more aerodynamic and no drag from a solar unit (more MPG vs. solar power) much better fits my needs.

Have you considered a portable panel with a 50+ ft cable so you can park in the shade on a blistering day and still have some charging?

I really do like the benefits of the two big rooftop panels but I have some reservations due to the situation you describe, and also possible damage to them from low hanging branches or hail. I will still order that option, and learn to deal with the negative aspects. The hail I can't do anything about, but I always carry a chainsaw and will buy a folding stepladder for any wayward branches ;)

I still might consider a 100 watt portable panel, for extra versatility.

John Davies

Spokane WA.

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I researched Airstreams, off and on, for over 2 years, and I had always thought it was the trailer I would eventually buy.  But I stumbled upon the Oliver brand, through another forum, and immediately became interested, such that I was able to tour the factory this past June.  While there I saw the step by step process and from the frame up it is a far superior trailer to almost anything else currently being produced.  I was also able to tour Buzzy's brand new Ollie at the campground and the attention to detail is truly inspiring.  There are so many "Pros" regarding the Oliver, that when the time comes to lay out the cash, I wouldn't consider anything else at this point.   Frankly, I think 40K for the Airstream Base Camp is overpriced, and while a new Ollie will be close to 60K I consider that price differential a moot point compared to the final products once actually "on the road".

• Thanks 2

Frankly, I think 40K for the Airstream Base Camp is overpriced, and while a new Ollie will be close to 60K I consider that price differential a moot point compared to the final products once actually “on the road”.

I guess that's one of my points...It's about the price points in the market.

Casita 17 Independence - ROUGHLY $17-20K?

Ollie Elite 2 - $48 base - $62K loaded

Airstream Base Camp ~ $40K

Larger (21-25') Airstreams can be purchased for $60-70

Ollie is far and away the best built...but they are small for what you get...

• Thanks 1

Happiness is seeing Atlanta in your rearview mirror. :-)

Seriously looked at AS trailers, but did not want wood floors. Thought about rebuilding a vintage AS and installing aluminum plank flooring, but we decided to go with the Ollie. Our first camper, Chalet A-Frame, had wood floor rot, it was built before they started installing composite flooring.

• Thanks 1

LE2

Have you considered a portable panel with a 50+ ft cable so you can park in the shade on a blistering day and still have some charging?

john

Furion supplies a number of electrical devices for Oliver TT.  They sell a portable solar unit that plugs directly into the Furion outlet.  My point is I do not need it.  I have camped for days using my electrical amenities with the exception of AC & microwave.  At the end of 3 days in the desert, my batteries were still at 12.5.  I do not need solar panels.  Recognizing we are  all humans with different needs and desires, I find the Oliver to be a great value WITHOUT solar panels.  I did check with Oliver 2 years ago and was told that to make the solar panels portable, Oliver would need to use a different company, their current vendor product did not lend itself to portability.  The recommended company said that the longer the cable, the longer time it takes to charge the system. I worked with several senior electrical engineers and they agreed that to gain portability would be offset by efficiency. It seems counter intuitive to put solar panels on the roof and to park in the sun to charge my batteries in the summer.

I could buy the Furion solar charger, but do not need it.  My batteries stay charged and I do not want to haul things I "might" need. I am sure many others may need such items, but I purposely chose the smaller trailer.  I want to travel light, travel often and not be incumbered by things I do not need.  If a person wants all of those trappings, the larger Oliver may be appropriate, but an unfair comparison to the smaller airstream.

• Thanks 2

The basecamp has a plugin on the side for a portable solar panel, and I'm coming around to that idea.  It would be nice to have the option of extra solar if we decide we need it, and having flexibility where to put it makes a lot of sense.  The plug in at the side would be really convenient.  If Oliver is really thinking about going with Zamp for all their electrical, they could add the exact same port to the side of the Ollie.

We're going to go take a look at the Basecamp as soon as our local dealer gets one in, but I'll definitely look at it with a critical eye.  If nothing else, it's made me reconsider getting the smaller Ollie.  That really is the right size for us, but it's just so hard to justify, given the small price difference.  You just feel like you're not getting your money's worth.  Not to say that the trailer isn't worth it on it's own, just in comparison how much more you get with the Elite II for so little more.  From a production standpoint, I'm sure that the prices make sense, but from a buyer standpoint, it seems like the pricing should be farther apart.  Like 40/60 rather than 55/60.

I researched Airstreams, off and on, for over 2 years, and I had always thought it was the trailer I would eventually buy. But I stumbled upon the Oliver brand, through another forum, and immediately became interested...

Me too. Airstreams are beautiful. And I saw the Basecamp at the Hershey show. Doesn't meet my needs but very cool nonetheless.

But I actually prefer the fact that most normal folks won't give the Oliver a second glance, only RV nuts lol.

From a production standpoint, I’m sure that the prices make sense, but from a buyer standpoint, it seems like the pricing should be farther apart. Like 40/60 rather than 55/60.

Well, the Oliver is all about labor costs and high quality components. The size of the egg and the number of axles makes for a  relatively small difference in the total cost at the factory level,. They do not pay retail for axles or aluminum or glass or resin - they are buying in tractor trailer loads if not larger, due to their other business.

It still takes about the same amount of hours and the appliances and expensive stuff are the same. I think a 5K difference is realistic. The only way they could offer an Elite at 40K is if they jacked the price on the other model way up to compensate. I don't think they are willing to offer a bare bones stripped model like Airstream does with the Sport. Oliver's target audience does not want that, nor do I.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We’re going to go take a look at the Basecamp as soon as our local dealer gets one in, but I’ll definitely look at it with a critical eye. If nothing else, it’s made me reconsider getting the smaller Ollie. That really is the right size for us, but it’s just so hard to justify, given the small price difference. You just feel like you’re not getting your money’s worth. Not to say that the trailer isn’t worth it on it’s own, just in comparison how much more you get with the Elite II for so little more. From a production standpoint, I’m sure that the prices make sense, but from a buyer standpoint, it seems like the pricing should be farther apart. Like 40/60 rather than 55/60.

I think like you do, and if the Elite 1 was considerably less expensive than the II, then I would seriously be looking at it instead of the II.   I will be traveling solo and certainly I don't need the additional size that the II offers, although there are options on the II that I want that aren't offered on the smaller Ollie.  I assume you have done the Oliver factory tour?

• Moderators

I grew up in hail country.

A few years ago, in North Carolina, we drove back to our campsite with hail covering the road and banks. At the campsite, the Oliver was surrounded by really large hail, and shredded leaves. Not a single ding.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The Airstream Forum has several threads on hail damage.  They advise to leave it alone and the sun will bring the sheet metal back in place.  I have not owned an Airstream but my father was in the military and we lived in a trailer because we were constantly moving.  I have seen dings "disappear" over time, especially one from my baseball.,...but not the pain from the tanning I got for hitting the trailer !

I have gone over to the Dark side and bought a 2007 Airstream 28 International.  It needs some freshening up but I got a great deal so I can afford to spend some dollars.  I will say that if Oliver made a larger unit I would have spent whatever it took to buy one.  The quality and ease of maintenance is far and away the very best.  We needed a larger, more arthritis friendly trailer and Airstream fit the bill.  So maybe it's the Gray side rather than totally dark.

Number 64 is in good hands now and the new owners are terrific folks who will enjoy many trips in her.

Please don't unfriend me.  We love Olliver and their owners.

• Thanks 2

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• 3 weeks later...

We recently, thoroughly researched the Airstream line. I have wanted one since I was a kid. Went and viewed them, talked to the sales reps even. Decided that they are cheaper for a reason.

1. They are not four season, huge for us

2. In every forum on Airstream's people complained about water damage, lot's of it!

3. People complained about mice getting into the trailers

4. Very low ground clearance. I got down on the floor and looked under there. No way would that work for us towing a trailer into our claim.

5. Dents, dents and more dents

We have had to save longer to be able to afford the Oliver, but I feel it's worth it!

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

We recently, thoroughly researched the Airstream line. I have wanted one since I was a kid. Went and viewed them, talked to the sales reps even. Decided that they are cheaper for a reason. 1. They are not four season, huge for us 2. In every forum on Airstream’s people complained about water damage, lot’s of it! 3. People complained about mice getting into the trailers 4. Very low ground clearance. I got down on the floor and looked under there. No way would that work for us towing a trailer into our claim. 5. Dents, dents and more dents We have had to save longer to be able to afford the Oliver, but I feel it’s worth it!

Welcome!  You are exactly right on every point, I did the Airstream research for 2 years and it can't compare to an Oliver, one of which I still don't own but I wouldn't settle for anything else.  You'll find lots of very friendly and knowledgeable individuals on this forum.

I just read a thread on the Airstream Forum listing all the things this guy wanted for a true boon docking trailer. As I looked at all his items, I thought, shucks, we already have that, or can get it as a add on option. Plus if there is something we want and it makes sense, Oliver will do their best to accommodate our wants.

All I can say is, What a company, what a trailer.

Stan, and here we are in this beautiful  October weather painting the garage and shop instead if out camping. What a idiot I am.

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators
I have gone over to the Dark side and bought a 2007 Airstream 28 International. It needs some freshening up but I got a great deal so I can afford to spend some dollars. I will say that if Oliver made a larger unit I would have spent whatever it took to buy one. The quality and ease of maintenance is far and away the very best. We needed a larger, more arthritis friendly trailer and Airstream fit the bill. So maybe it’s the Gray side rather than totally dark.

Keep us posted on your Airstream adventures!

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS