johnmflores

Hey all,

I do this...

zks44bo4mimlk8n1pd5cq758rug9xgzn.jpg.03d0ec9b33e808669aaa8f483989b486.jpg

and this...

ayjw0sd4vcxtpccwphi14f0doaiyl6om.jpg.65940cab9feb59024a3a458fac2c3bd5.jpg

often on one of these

v96mvydw098a3f6wgmcehhxnw2kpdghy.jpg.db79bc68e4ff08efa1713447d9b171dc.jpg

In case that was too obtuse, I'm a writer, photographer, and digital marketing consultant (my day job). I write motorcycle stories for RoadRUNNER Magazine, the largest motorcycle touring magazine in the country. It's been a lot of fun - I've seen much of the country and parts of the world on two wheels and I hope to continue to do so for many more years. This past July I rode an electric motorcycle from San Francisco to New York, following the route of George A Wyman, the first person to cross the country by motorized vehicle. Any guesses when Wyman did it?

Anyone?

Guess?

Last chance!

Fun fact - there were only 200 miles of paved roads back then, and the dirt roads were so bad in spots that Wyman rode nearly half of his journey on the railroad tracks. Yes, on the railroad tracks. On this thing

clgfsp3sww1tto9vzj17em9au9jcmzkp.thumb.jpg.369c886ec9f47130d0949257377865ab.jpg

Crazy, huh?!

Now I'm planning for the next phase of my zigzag life. For years I wanted one of these

tig9zrvpq3i3onmvnx447j7hh4rbh340.thumb.jpg.2e972df1afe6d5d9dd7a07c38766f4a0.jpg

I was also thinking of a Class B RV, but then I found Oliver and I think that I've found my rig. I'm still a couple of years away from shoving off, but my plan is to full time for 3-5 years, writing, taking photos, just spending time in this beautiful place. I think the Oliver will stand up to the remote dirt roads that I want to take it on. I'm thinking of a Ford Transit as my tow vehicle, so that I can haul a motorcycle in the back protected from the elements and prying eyes.

Well, that's it for now. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and have already learned a lot from everyone here. Glad to make everyone's virtual acquaintance. I'll certainly have a ton of questions as the months go on, so thanks in advance...john

• Thanks 3

John, Welcome to the forum. I will be most interested to read your posts. I have read a few of your articles. I have not ridden seriously in a few years due to joint issues, but I still like to read Adventure bike travel stories, especially those with great camerawork and water crossings ;)

You need to seriously rethink your tow vehicle. For dirt roads you need AWD or better yet real 4wd with a low range. No 2wd van like the Transit, no matter how capable, is going to be safe and satisfactory for any extended off pavement towing, especially if you pick the heavier tandem Ollie, which is really the best choice for full timing. You need the extra capabilities for those times when conditions are less than clear, dry and flat.

Is the Sprinter's new 4wd version rated at 7000+ pounds? That might prove to be a great TV with it's superb 4wd system and raised suspension. Or a Quigley converted Nissan NV3500, or a used 4wd Econoline. There are not many van bodied choices that drive all four wheels, unfortunately. There are tons of choices if you are willing to consider a long bed pickup with a tall canopy, or a cab and chassis with a utility body.

Again, welcome.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

So great to hear from you guys and your adventures. RoadRUNNER is my favorite magazine and the only one that I am still subscribed to (other than IBA mag and AMA).

Ann and I have been traveling all over North America by motorcycle for 25 years. Did the Trans Labrador Highway in 2005 on a 25 year old touring bike ( Ann says never again). We are now proud owners of a 2016 Oliver Elite II and take a small Dual Sport with us. Hoping to see much of Big Bend this winter by motorcycle and foot.

I'm sure I have seen some of your articles in RoadRUNNER but will review past issues and remember the name in the future.

Welcome to the forum I will follow your posts and John Davies as well.

two-up.thumb.jpg.cc0fbcd0c82d5eb13fb4e8b40131034c.jpg

IMG_2725.thumb.jpg.511244d90e3f17ac61b9d7fee0882ebe.jpg

IMG_5239.thumb.jpg.57deb71ce8ae7a83765bda4d4ac2a9d6.jpg

• Thanks 1

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

You need to seriously rethink your tow vehicle. For dirt roads you need AWD or better yet real 4wd with a low range. No 2wd van like the Transit, no matter how capable, is going to be safe and satisfactory for any extended off pavement towing, especially if you pick the heavier tandem Ollie, which is really the best choice for full timing. You need the extra capabilities for those times when conditions are less than clear, dry and flat. Is the Sprinter’s new 4wd version rated at 7000+ pounds? That might prove to be a great TV with it’s superb 4wd system and raised suspension. Or a Quigley converted Nissan NV3500, or a used 4wd Econoline. There are not many van bodied choices that drive all four wheels, unfortunately. There are tons of choices if you are willing to consider a long bed pickup with a tall canopy, or a cab and chassis with a utility body. Again, welcome. John Davies Spokane WA

Great to see another rider here, John. Thanks for the welcome. Yup, I know that 4wd will be needed for where I want to go. I've read that Quigley will now convert Ford Transits to 4wd using F150 components. I'd like a low floor and high ceiling to make loading and unloading a motorcycle easier, and I'd like an extensive dealer network and to buy American. That's what has led me to the Transit. I've still got some time before I start putting all the pieces together, so I'll continue to research my options.

John, Welcome!!!!!

Looking forward to reading your articles and seeing your photography!

We finally settled on a 5.7L Tundra 4x4 with 6.5' bed as a Ollie TV.  It's high to load a motorcycle on, but will work it out eventually for a CB500X to ride solo & two up while camping, mostly pavement and some fire roads.  It should fit in the bed and close the tailgate, too. Will post about it when I have it worked out.

First Bike Build:

1980 CX500D:

Vstrom for two up sport touring:

Riding Western NC:

LE2

Hello John,

RoadRunner magazine is the premier motorcycling publication by far and after 45 years of being an avid motorcyclist, including 8 years as an AMA road racer, I can attest to all the subscriptions to various magazines I have had.

And like you I love photography but I am only a hobbyist at that.   Not yet an owner of an Ollie, but hopefully soon.  When I went to Hohenwald to tour the factory I rode my old but very trusty 1997 Harley Davidson Electra Glide, which has been all over the country, invariably motorcycle camping trips at that.  Took a side trip down the Natchez Trace, but I had previously ridden the entire length, so after a hundred miles or so I headed home in the 95 degree heat that week.  Do go to the factory if you get a chance.  But now at the age of 65 I'm looking forward to the "next phase" of travel touring, in my Dodge Ram with an Elite II following behind.

I certainly hope you get that Ollie and continue to enjoy your motorcycling adventures also.