Delivery preperation suggestions

geokeg

Hello All,

We are taking delivery of a new Elite II in a couple of weeks. Driving from Gig Harbor, Wa. to Hohenwald and return to Gig Harbor with the new unit. I am hoping for any suggestions on what to do or not to do during the delivery/acceptance process, as well as what we should take with us to make the whole process go smoothly. Our TV is a 2013 Silverado with the factory towing package. It has a Leer 180 canopy. Right now I am planning on taking a Honda 2000 generator for convenience and electrical system and componet check out. Also taking 2x6 treated wood pads for the jacks and a good set of two heavy duty rubber wheel chocks. A few other standard items from our "Outdoor Support Vehicle" camping trips like small rake, small spade, broom and rubber door mat. A couple of camping chairs, LED lanterns/headlamps, 2 propane inside safe heaters, and two small eletric space heaters. Our trailer will have the solar panel, agm batteries, and on demand hot water set up. We will have a Yeti 45 cooler for use as needed.

If anyone has suggestions for do, don't, or also take this, it would be apprectiated. We are getting pretty excited with our planning and look forward to upgrading our camping life style and opening up more options for multi season outings.

Thanks,

George and Gretchen

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

Well congrats first you will enjoy the Ollie and all it has to offer.  You have a good start but a couple of things such as extra hose for washing out the Black tank not to be used else were, 30 amp extension I have needed this a couple times, Dog Bone or reducer at least 30 amp to 20 amp and I have needed also the 50 amp to 30 amp reducer for electric hook ups, lock for the lever on trailer ball if it is the Bull dog you need a small shank lock not to much to worry here there is a Tractor Supply store just up and across the street from the pick up location and also a Walmart I would stay in the area a day or so to check things out. Pillows, covers, towels,etc if you did not get the beds I would have some memory foam or something for the the beds. Safe travels and I'm sure others will help with more recent deliveries. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 2

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Is your Tow vehicle equipped with a brake control unit for your trailer? Also, I prefer to scotch my wheels front and back so I suggest an extra set of wheel chocks.  You will need a white fresh water hose.  Most all parks require a "donut" for your sewer connection.  This is a adapter that prevents overflow and escaping sewer gases, in theory.   I like using the plastic or rubber coated ties to secure cables, chains etc on the trailer.  Be sure to have an assortment of fuses on hand.  Walmart across the street from Oliver carries them, the ties, water hose, etc.  Your wife will encourage you to get the black tank treatment packs to make the bathroom smell fresh.  Again, sold at Walmart.

Be prepared to have many stop you along the way to see your trailer so have Anita to give you some brochures.  Happy camping and be safe

Coy

IMG_0520.thumb.jpg.c805d5c437fb7f223dc555b494c85585.jpg

• Thanks 2

George and Gretchen,

Welcome and congratulations!

We were inexperienced using RV refrigerators when we purchased the Ollie. Talked to Hardrock about how he uses the Ollie refrigerator, he does not run the refrigerator while traveling and everything stays cool during the day. Based on what Hardrock said, we decided to freeze reusable ice blocks over-nite, keeping them in the Ollie refrigerator while traveling during the day keeping everything very cold until we arrive at the next campground that evening, re-freezing the re-usable ice blocks that night ready for the next trip.

+1 on the Champagne!

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

George and Gretchen,

If you have solar panels, you can switch your refrigerator from Propane to DC when you're ready to hit the road. I've traveled 8,000 miles this year with my Ollie and I have always traveled this way. When you set up camp, switch it back to propane, turn on the refrigerator fan and you're all set.

Don

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Geo,

Sounds like you are all set except for carrying a fresh water fill hose and a dump hose.  I don't know why you would need additional propane heaters or electric heaters.  Ollies have excellent heaters and this will be your chance to get familiar with yours.

Mine doesn't have an inverter, so I carry a 2000 watt Yamaha sometimes.  But for simply charging computers and phones, a small cigarette lighter plug in inverter is just right.  I think it's 150 watts.  Perfect.  They are cheap and easy to find.

I've found that I need an outside quick disconnect and outside stove in order to cook bigger meals or more smokey meals, but you don't need that just to get home.  You'll develop your own list as time goes by.

The bathroom faucet with pull out wand is a nice feature, but there is no access to the sink plumbing.  If I was at the factory taking delivery, I'd ask them to install one of their portholes in the sink cabinet or closet wall so I could access the water connections or change the wand hose if needed.  I'd put one in now but I don't know just where to put it to reach the fittings.

Look at the battery wiring that goes into the electrical box from the battery tray.  Mine was set up so the battery shelf could move in and out about 3/4" while driving and constantly pinch the wires.  I shimmed mine to prevent movement and added split loom over the wires to prevent a short.

Someone mentioned not using the fridge while traveling.  I can't imagine why that's a problem.  Mine is on the whole time during every trip and it is designed to do just that. Not a problem.  I only carry an ice chest to accommodate cold drinks.  That leaves the fridge for food.   The previous owner actually ran it on 12 volt (from the 7 pin plug) while driving, then switched to propane or 120 volt when stopped.  I don't have the solar option.  Mine is always on propane and switches automatically to 120 volt when plugged in at a park or at home.   BTW, there is no need to run the fan unless you are in extremely hot weather.  I've never run mine and it has never been needed, yet.

Have fun!!!  I was able to avoid the Tennessee run by finding a same as new Ollie in my area, but it would have been a fun trip and a great time to tour the factory.

John

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Late to the game here, but thought I'd throw in my two cents. Lots of good suggestions, some I will probably repeat.

We took the trip in March and live in Portland, OR. We stayed in a wide range of places from remote BLM CG's to friends' driveways, to a couple of RV parks to do laundry and dump tanks.  The Ollie comes pretty well equipped but I was glad to have brought these extras. Everyone develops their own list over time...

-Locks. You'll need a Hitch lock (attach your ball mount to your hitch, and a Coupler lock (lock down the lever on your Bulldog hitch)

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/DeadBolt/40107.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Locks/DeadBolt/RC2SS.html

I purchased the Stainless Steel versions and glad I did. Also got them both keyed the same so much simpler. These locks have worked great.

- I also like to use 4 chocks for our trailer, just makes me feel better....

- Definitely get an extra hose (25") for black tank rinse and cleanup. You don't want your potable water hoses anywhere near that business. A good spritzer bottle with a bleach/water mix is also nice for final slinky/fixture cleanup.

- While at friends, I was glad to have picked up a 10 gauge, 25', extension cord along with a male 15amp to female 30 amp adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14200-1-5-Foot-Pigtail-Connector/dp/B002IZKDHK/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1476463583&sr=8-32&keywords=15amp+to+30+amp+adapter

I also use the adapter at home until I can wire in a 30 amp plug outside.

- An extra 25" potable water hose also came in handy while staying at friends.

I still have yet to purchase stuff on my want list like a portable electrical management/surge protection system, but they are expensive and since we most often camp with no hook ups, it's down the list a ways. Just depends on your camping style. We also got an external water filter system which has worked great. It's a two filter system, the first for sediment (keeps tanks, water lines, valves and fixtures from silting up) and then a carbon filter that filters to .5 micron. Probably don't need it for your trip home but I'd put it near the top of the list for later.

Regarding the refrigerator. I hear it is illegal in some states to have the propane turned on while under way. This makes sense to me. The refir is most efficient on propane so that is what we use while camping. But as soon as we are hitched up and ready to roll, the propane is turned off and I switch the refir to DC. The charge wire from your TV will keep it cold and I have always arrived at my next camp with 100% full batteries. You're going to like those AGM's by the way. They are a great match for the solar system. You'll probably be selling your generator unless you plan on spending summers in the desert. ;-)

Congrats on your new trailer and have a safe trip home!

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter