Seeking Your Input

ReconDon

Hello everyone!

Wifey and I are considering purchasing a Legacy II Elite and selling our 2012 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe.  We have spoken to Karen in Sales and had a delightful visit with Larry (Mountainborn) while checking out the Oliver when he and his wife were traveling near us. I really like the looks, functionality, solid construction, and quality control of the Oliver. Wifey and I realize that this is a significant investment, too. So, we are doing the research and asking questions. I will read every word of this forum. Are there other "Oiver" Forums?

I have regisered with the Oliver Blog to continue our research. Specifically, we are curious about the topics, concerns, mods, things that fall short, cause problems or worry, are  a hassle, or things that Oliver owners wish for/could be improved with their Oliver. For example: How well does the refrigerator work at keeping things cold in 100 degree desert-like temperatures? Is the awning sturdy and strong? Towing issues? Ground clearance? Outside storage? Is the Mach 8 noisy? Maintenance issues? Using a generator? Comparision to other trailers (Airstream, Bigfoot, Escape, etc.)?, etc. etc. We are interested in learning about using and enjoying the Oliver in a "real-world" trailering scenario.

We have no interest in bashing the excellent Oliver travel trailer, but we do want to hear genuine, honest opinions and ideas. We want to hear about what you don't like or wish you could change about your Oliver . We especially want to hear from Oliver folks that have used their trailer extensively. This is how we learn and this will help us make a much "better-informed" decision. We are not looking for a "deal-breaker" that would stop us from getting an Oliver.

By the way, we use Good Sam Roadside Assistance, mostly camp in parks (state, COE, commercial RV) and usually have FHU or at least water and electric. We boondock only occassionaly  or when necessary.

Thanks everyone and we anticipate hearing your ideas, opinions, comments, and observations.

Casita-at-Texas-Border.jpg.9a2795ec96c1a485892c0e0b58307cbd.jpg

• Thanks 3

ReconDon, Welcome!

Options our Twin Bed Elite II Ollie came with, (purchased our Ollie used) Fiber Granite counter tops, reading lights, exterior LP quick disconnect, Winegard Omni-Directional Antenna, and overhead storage door mirrors.

Installed Dexter suspension EZ system with flex bronze bushings and wet pins after purchase. The Ollie has fine towing manners/brakes and no stability issues so far.   Also use a 100W portable suitcase Solar Panel when away from 110V.

Couple items I want to install on the Ollie, access hatch to reach the propane tank valves without removing cover and access hatch under the curbside bed to reach fresh water tank drain without removing the mattress.

Learned one thing on the last camping trip, spraying sandals with disinfectant spray while sitting at the dinette.  That's where the LP leak detector/sensor is located.  All I can say is the LP gas alarm system works great, must have been the aerosol propellant that started the loud alarm.

We really like our Ollie and see Oliver continuously making standard improvements with additional and improved options.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 2

LE2

Hello ReconDon

First, welcome to  the Oliver Forum.

I will try to provide you objective answers to your questions.   Oliver is not perfect, but when a problem is encountered, they will bend over backwards to work with you, correct the problem and learn from design/installation issues.  To answer your question regarding the refrigeration in desert heat, I camped in Monument Valley, Utah as well as several locations in AZ and NM. many days were 110+. Like you I do very little boondocking.  In these locations I was in a campsite with full hookups.  I had no problems with the fridge, AC , hot water or other utilities.  The Coleman Mach 8 is noisy.  I was unaware of this when I bought my Elite.  I contacted Oliver and they agreed to swap out the unit for a Dometic Penguin.  Much quieter.  I paid for the Dometic and a small amount for labor.  I easily sold the Coleman so the different in cost was about what the amount wold have been to upgrade to the Dometic.

The cost of Oliver is higher but I can tell you that the high  quality will be easily maintained so the resale value is high.  Other fiberglass units are definitely cheaper. However, I read about all the modifications that new owners must do just to reach minimal performance.  The Oliver comes fully functional for 4 season camping, needs no modifications and is well designed.  The new production line at Oliver has a "Plug & Play" capability.  Buy what you absolutely need and if later you decide you want additional amenities (solar, stereo, etc) can be later easily installed.

I have enjoyed my Oliver Elite.  It is a quality unit with no significant issues

Best Wishes

coy

IMG_0520-1.thumb.jpg.75b0c8089b0a9e165681f9112684fad3.jpg

• Thanks 2

I'm happy you posted this because my husband and I are seriously considering purchasing the Elite II and want to hear the feedback and opinions also.  We almost purchased an airstream but wanted to check out four season trailers and discovered the Oliver on-line.  We spoke to the sales person and they are currently contacting people in the PA and NJ area to see if we can take a look at one.  We recently purchased a 2016 Ford F150 Max Tow Ecoboost when we were considering the airstream and it can easily handle the Oliver.  This will be our first travel trailer so low maintenance and easy towing with the Oliver is appealing.  We will both be retired at the end of next year and want to visit many National and State parks and play golf in every state.  Our biggest concern is whether the Elite II will be too small for us and whether we will be ok with the wet bath.  I know a lot will come down to personal preference but it would be good to hear if other couples find it comfortable.

• Thanks 1

2016 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5L w/MaxTow and an 2017 Oliver Elite II

SLBENSON,

Currently I believe the Lone Star Oliver is heading north through your area, maybe if they see this you could meet up, otherwise I will be heading to DC in about a week and a half, depending on where you are maybe I can help. That is if you can't find one locally.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Thank you, Try2Relax.  We will get in touch with you if something local does not materialize in a week.  I sent a message to Mike & Carol to see if they were open to meeting up if it fits their schedule and if we don't find something before they come this way.

• Moderators

We've been off line for a few days.  We are in DC for the next few days.  Would be happy to show our trailer.  Heading up to West Point NY on Wednesday.

We've had lots of comments and discussion on our Oliver the last couple weeks while on the road.  Normally, folks want to know what it is.  When we got to our current site our neighbor (big Airstream owner) said, hey - that's a Legacy Elite II!  Since ours says The Lone Star Oliver he knew what he was talking about.

Enjoying this great east coast weather....  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Looks like we will be able to catch up with Lone Star in WestPoint NY on the weekend.  It's not too far from our home in NJ.  Thanks for the kind suggestion Try2Relax and many thanks to Lone Star for being willing to coordinate a viewing and conversation.  Sent private message with contact info etc.

Hmm. "Value".

I looked at Casita, Escape and others before emphatically deciding on an Oliver.  So for me, Oliver was a "better value".  Why?  Overall design, construction, quality of materials, and many things standard without being add-ons that add to the price of the other makes, if you can even get them. The conventional style interiors that I find much less durable and harder to clean, were a real detractor for me. After six weeks on the road visiting national parks and other rustic environs, just can't seem get those interiors back up to snuff like you can with the Oliver.  These are just a few things that caused me to decide what was the better value.  In the end, what fits one's budget will be the deciding factor on what is purchased,  but to me value is highly subjective, and in many ways separate from base price.

Depending on the type of camping you like to do I would seriously consider the solar option with upgraded batteries. We live in NW Florida and Downeast Maine, and like to take trips west to the national parks. When in Florida we rely on facilities with hookups to power air conditioning. Outside of the south, I look for much more out of the way sites that often do not have hook ups and look forward to the flexibility that solar will provide.  Surge protection as well to protect the sensitive electonics and wiring. We also have the 30lb propane tanks...might be overkill, but I like the comfort of having more than I will probably need on any given trip, and probably any entire season of camping. The Dexter EZ flex is a very worthwhile add-on as well.

Oliver has been fantastic to work with in my opinion. I bought mine used. Even though I didn't buy from them, when I brought my trailer to Hohenwald for a couple of upgrades ( change out Coleman ac and add Dexter EZ flex),they treated me as though I did, and they took it upon themselves to do a few upgrades that are standard with the newer models as well as correct a defect in one of the items provided by another manufacturer at no charge.

One thing to watch out for though....just washed and waxed Oliver and he is looking mighty fine....and he knows it....asked me to borrow the keys to the TV so he could go out and meet a little Casita somewhere....

• Thanks 3

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Hey Don.... Just wanted to let you know that you will have no problem towing the LE2 with your F150.  I wondered if I would need the towing mirrors and found that visibility is pretty good with the standard mirrors.  V6 ecoboost engine does a very nice job with the Ollie.

Best of Luck

Scotty

Flying Sea Turtle Hull # 145

• Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

We caught up with Mike and Carol yesterday to see the Lone Star Oliver in West Point, NY.  The drive there was lovely with the blazing fall colors everywhere we looked.  It reminded us again of why we want to get a travel trailer and experience all the wonders of the outdoors.  Then we arrived at the Lone Start campsite.  Wow!  The Lone Star Oliver is truly beautiful and our questions have been answered about size and comfort.  It has plenty of room for two people to get around comfortably.  The kitchen and storage is very adequate for our needs.  My husband is 6 foot tall and he had plenty of head room.  In the shower he only had an inch to spare but no problem.  The wet bath was much more functional than we feared and we think it will work out fine.  We heard about the quality of the Oliver and saw Buzzy's videos (which are great) but nothing compares to seeing it in person.  Mike and Carol are such a kind and sharing couple and we are so very grateful for them opening up their Lone Star for us to experience.  I think there is an Oliver in our future.  Thanks everyone that posted on this tread, Linda.

• Thanks 2

Randy, thank you!

Randy gave us the grand tour of his unit two days ago. He had us in every nook, closet, and hidden spots. You can feel the pride he takes in his unit, and the best part? His previous non-camper wife loves it. If you have a chance to meet up, it is recommended. We think he made up our mind on what we will order, and how we will equip...

• Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

Recon,

Our journey was Casita, Oliver LE II, Airstream International.  We truly loved our Ollie but it became a bit small for us in advanced age and with joint issues.  We also love the Airstream, but if Oliver ever makes an affordable 28 footer I will be first in line.  Fiberglass over aluminum any day.

If you search my user name you will read more about my rationale for switching.  In a word...size does matter.

• Thanks 2

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

We are interested in the Elite II.

1. Is the bathroom big enough? Can you shower in it comfortably? Does water get out? Is it hard to clean?

2. I've read about the Air Command AC-150 with the soft start. I like the AC-150 because it has the heat pump and you can use that instead of the propane heater. Would a Honda 2000 watt generator start it?

3. Can the tow vehicle charge the batteries?

4. I'd like to get lithium batteries. But, I haven't seen anyone that has them and I don't know if Oliver could make the changes for them. Anyone have lithium?

Bruce & Vas

Most everyone seems satisfied with the size of the bath.  I suppose you could argue that bigger is better, but people much larger than me seem to have no problems with it.  I think the only complaint I've seen about water getting out is that the shower door opens out and so can drip water on the floor if it's wet.  Some people have installed a shower curtain over the door for that reason.  Everything I've seen is that it's a cinch to clean.  Fiberglass FTW.

I think the AC 150 is way too much AC for the trailer personally.  Talking to the people at Oliver, I think they'd say that the current unit is somewhat oversized.  My personal take on heat pumps is that they have such a limited temperature range in which they work that it's not worth the extra.  If I have power to fun the heat pump, then I have power for an electric heater that will work regardless of the outside temp.

Getting a charge from the tow vehicle is tough - the distance from your alternator to your batteries is so far that you need to run really big cables on both the vehicle and trailer to make it work.  Then you also need some equipment to make sure that your alternator doesn't burn up or overcharge your batteries and that your camper batteries don't drain your car battery.  It can be done, but it will take work.

We're swapping out to lithium right after we take delivery.  Oliver isn't quite ready to do that yet.  You'll need a different charge controller, and might want to consider relocating the batteries to the inside.  We're going with a Victron system.  Oliver keeps telling me that one other person is doing the same thing but they're getting AM Solar to do the install.  I don't think that owner is on the forum, and if so, they haven't spoken up.  I'll end up doing the work in my driveway.

edit - here's our Lithium Shopping List.  There may be some additional wiring, etc., but this is the bulk of it.  The "Oliver Savings" section are items that I would otherwise purchase if I didn't go with the lithium.  At the moment, though, there's no actual savings from Oliver because they aren't leaving off any standard equipment.

cy2po9arh454mhdxzlyvdkmcsuo96ht8.jpg.807b715c2e9b9c324d42bb6f8b1fd990.jpg

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

About the only thing I can comment on is the bath.  I'm 6 foot tall and about 165 pounds and have absolutely no problem.  In fact, I was surprised at the small amount of water that goes beyond the very front of the toilet - and I am usually no even careful as to the direction of the spray.  I've found clean-up to be very simple by using a silicone squeegee and possible either a microfiber towel or a synthetic chamois.  Either way the clean-up takes about one minute AND you have a clean shower.  As far as the door swinging out - I have a "bath mat" inside the shower since I like the "feel" of that better than walking on the bare fiberglass in bare feet.  So, it is simple to take that mat and place it outside the shower just prior to turning the water on.  Therefore, it catches any water that drips when the door is opened (I do dry the shower prior to opening the door) and since it is a bath mat I don't care if it gets a few drops of water on it and it dries quickly.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The batteries I listed above are just generic LiFePo with no bells and whistles.  But the Color Control GX can be monitored via bluetooth or internet, if so equipped.  I think for bluetooth you add a dongle, but the internet monitoring is simply a matter of connecting it to the network.  Once connected, you can control the system via the local network, or via their online portal.  Or from the panel itself of course.

They have some demo systems set up on their online portal.  You can't control them, but it's cool to see what the interface is like and what info is available.  Be sure to click on the advanced tab on the left to see all the graphs and logs.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Overland, I hope you will keep us informed on the lithium battery performance.

We live on gridtied pv at home, solar battery on the trailer. No power bill, anywhere.

Next gen for us is a solar, non grid tied cabin in the forest. On our camping property in NC. We've already built a spring collection system for wash water and toilet. just don't spend the time there to justify the elaborate purification and filtration systems we spend at home . That's another big step. We carry drinking water in .

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Overland, I hope you will keep us informed on the lithium battery performance. We live on gridtied pv at home, solar battery on the trailer. No power bill, anywhere. Next gen for us is a solar, non grid tied cabin in the forest. On our camping property in NC. We’ve already built a spring collection system for wash water and toilet. just don’t spend the time there to justify the elaborate purification and filtration systems we spend at home . That’s another big step. We carry drinking water in . Sherry

Does the spring put out bad water? Our spring runs into our tank up on the hill, then gravity feeds directly to the house, no filters needed, just pure clean water.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators
About the only thing I can comment on is the bath. I’m 6 foot tall and about 165 pounds and have absolutely no problem. In fact, I was surprised at the small amount of water that goes beyond the very front of the toilet – and I am usually no even careful as to the direction of the spray. I’ve found clean-up to be very simple by using a silicone squeegee and possible either a microfiber towel or a synthetic chamois. Either way the clean-up takes about one minute AND you have a clean shower. As far as the door swinging out – I have a “bath mat” inside the shower since I like the “feel” of that better than walking on the bare fiberglass in bare feet. So, it is simple to take that mat and place it outside the shower just prior to turning the water on. Therefore, it catches any water that drips when the door is opened (I do dry the shower prior to opening the door) and since it is a bath mat I don’t care if it gets a few drops of water on it and it dries quickly. Bill

This is exactly how we shower.  No issues.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS