Rear view camera cable questions

John E Davies

Does the Oliver installed camera use a transmitter up front to ensure that the wireless signal is strong at the tow vehicle?

If so, where do they put it? Front closet?

Is there a published max transmission distance for the Oliver camera system?

Do they run that cable, plus a power wire, through the cabin, regardless of whether or not you pick that option when ordering? In other words, is the BU camera plug and play later?

The reason I ask this stuff is that I have a camera-capable Garmin RV 660LMT nav (a very fine unit!) and I was wondering if I could add a Garmin brand camera later without having to run a new transmitter wire through the length of the trailer.

Does this look like the same type of cable that Oliver uses?

cf-lg.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/cables/wireless-backup-camera-extension-cable/prod144533_010-12043-10.html

Some closeup pictures and maybe the owner's manual download link for the Oliver camera would be most helpful.

BTW, the Garmin BC30 camera's transmitter has a theoretical (max) range of 45 ft, which is very marginal for a rear location. The reason I want to use a Garmin BU camera is that I will not have to mount and power a second monitor on the dash, and my Garmin gps is already in place and being used for nav voice routing, apps and hands free phone calls. The Garmin will accept up to FOUR camera inputs, so I can add a camera at the rear of my truck for hitching up, and possibly one in the front grill for off-roading and using a front receiver hitch....

"You can pair up to four wireless cameras with the BC 30 receiver cable. For example, you can pair one backup camera installed on your vehicle and a second backup camera installed on a trailer. From the camera view, you can cycle through the video feeds from all paired cameras. You can change the order in which cameras appear when you switch cameras."

Yeah, I know I can contact Oliver but this way everyone is involved in the conversation! Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John -

See my forum article on my installation of a non-Oliver camera on my 2016 LE2.  I too didn't want another screen on the dash of my TV.  There was not a camera cable run from back to front in my Oliver and I believe that with the unit they use they simply transmit from the rear of the trailer to you TV.  Initially I put my transmitter under the spare tire cover.  But after experiencing some intermittent transmission issues I purchased an extension cable and move the transmitter up front, placing it under the propane cover on the front of the trailer.  I've had no issues since - it works like a charm.  Note that in looking from the rear towards the front of the LE2 there is a propane line run in a nice place on the right side frame the entire way.  It is very easy to run your camera cable in the same space with just a few zip ties.  Hope this helps!

Bill

p.s.  The "mount" that I made for the camera basically didn't weather well - the sun apparently attacked the plastic housing and it became brittle.  Therefore, over the winter I'm making an aluminum housing for the camera.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Some closeup pictures and maybe the owner’s manual download link for the Oliver camera would be most helpful.

Here is the manual. http://www.asaelectronics.com/7-digital-wireless-observation-system-514.html#product_tabs_manuals_guides

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

We've only used a couple of times so far as we've been packing up the house we just sold, however, from our experience, there has been no issue with the Oliver rear camera reaching to the front of our rig, we've got a 1999 ford F250 crew cab short bed which measures about 21ft long, with the 23' of the trailer out back, we've had not issue with the image, there's never been a hint of signal loss.  Hope this helps.

John

John Marilyn and Gracie

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull 172

TV 2017 F250 Diesel 

• Moderator+
Does the Oliver installed camera use a transmitter up front to ensure that the wireless signal is strong at the tow vehicle?

No

Do they run that cable, plus a power wire, through the cabin, regardless of whether or not you pick that option when ordering?

No. The camera only requires a power and ground wire. I suppose they would run that for you if you asked prior to construction, I would ask for it to be a switched connection.

Is there a published max transmission distance for the Oliver camera system?

No, however from my personal observation, mine will transmit a signal for over 300 feet.

The system that is currently being used is the Voyager WVOS713. The camera and monitor are dedicated and I doubt that either would work with other systems. While at the factory this week, I was told that they are looking at another system for 2018. This is because of customer concerns of the monitor being too big (I don't agree) and the unsightly bundle of wires that is left hanging from the monitor after installation (I do agree.) I told them that the extra wiring was easily eliminated for a very simple, elegant install but they were not interested in doing the extra work to accomplish it. I'm not convinced that any system will out-perform this one.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks for the comments. It looks as if the Voyager system is a great choice for most buyers.

My primary reason for wanting a Garmin camera, though the display and resolution are not so nice, is that in my case I do not want an extra screen and wires cluttering my dash.

I will see if Oliver will run a cable and mount a Garmin camera in back of the trailer for me. If that is going to be too costly ..... How hard is it to string a couple of 12 volt wires and a video cable to the top of the closet? Is there an easy way through the floor or overhead?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John,

I assume that either you didn't see my comments, chose to ignore them, or really wish to have your camera mounted near the roof in a similar fashion to the Oliver camera.  In any case I can tell you that mounting the camera in the spare tire cover is very simple.  The power wires were run by Oliver during my build and they even put a lighted (so you can tell when it is on or off) camera switch just inside the front door.  This power cable runs through the same hole as does the power for the rear license plate light and the only additional hole that needs to be drilled is the one through the spare tire cover - I only drilled a small hole big enough for the video wire and mounted the camera with exterior 3M tape.  As I think I mentioned in my original posting on the camera install, Oliver charged me $125 for the switch, wiring (with fuse), and labor.  And, that included the drilling of the hole in the spare tire cover, placement of the camera on the outside of the cover and placement of the WiFi transmitter on the inside of the cover.  The switch that they used is the exact same one they use for their own camera installation.  I would guess that if you insist that the camera be mounted on the roof, there will be a slightly higher charge.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I'm really surprised that so many users like the Voyager Rear View Camera system. As previously stated on other threads while our reception from the back of the trailer to my TV is fine the image quality is nothing short of awful. Yes you can see, make out whats behind you but its nothing like the built in back up camera in our F150 which has a very clear image by comparison. Calls to the manufacturer resolved nothing with very poor customer service IMO. At this point it doesn't matter since our F150 was broken into last week and the monitor stolen, so now I have to look into another system for a rear view camera.

Here is what I've learned so far. RV Cams an online company that specializes in these systems states the ASA Electronics Voyager is still the best, however all online reviews I have found seems to give the kudos to Rear View Safety Systems. I could barely find any reviews of the Voyager at all. Someone made the comment all you need is two wires to hook the camera to the trailer, not so with the Voyager. For those with this system if you go into the attic, upper storage shelf at the back and peel the plastic bubble wrap insulation down you will see a connected wire from the mounted camera to another snake. This connection is a 4 prong assembly sort of like a mini DNC connector. By comparison investigating a Furion back up camera at a local RV dealership did indeed use only a two wire assembly and its image quality was demonstrably better than the Voyage albeit with a smaller monitor but with no gangly wiring hanging around. The installer at our local RV shop told me different camera systems will NOT talk to different monitor systems, though there may be a few exceptions but highly unlikely.

I agree with others the wiring harness for the Voyager is nothing short of a obtrusive mess. And lets not even talk about the monitor mounting hardware. Adjusting this gangly mess and getting it to stay in place is an exercise in frustrating futility. The other camera/monitor systems I've seen are much more elegant in design. But all that said I wouldn't want to be without a rear view camera having now gotten used to having one poor image quality or not. We are scheduled to leave on a two week trip later today, probably tomorrow and having to deal with this is not what I had in mind.

Need to look at topgun2's approach again.

thanks, sorry for the rant

Legacy Elite II #70

John, I assume that either you didn’t see my comments, chose to ignore them, or really wish to have your camera mounted near the roof in a similar fashion to the Oliver camera.  

Bill, I somehow missed your original post. I do want the camera to be up high in back, primarily because I plan to ditch the spare tire cover entirely! Plus it should stay a little cleaner in nasty weather.

I appreciate your comments.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I am very happy with the rear view camera system. I find it more useful than the side mirrors in knowing what is behind me. They system is very robust, especially the wireless communication. No transmission failures.

I agree about the unsightly bundle of wires. The wires are black and my dash is black, and my solution is to bundle up the excess wires with black electrical tape and tuck it out of the way.

I also like the way OTT mounted Camera On-Off switch. I can open the trailer door and reach the switch while standing on the ground. No need to enter the trailer. (I am 6 feet.)

I took me a few tries to find the best spot to place the monitor. I found the best spot is right below the rear view mirror, which is nonfunctional when there is a trailer behind.

John's major complaint is about the size of the monitor. According to the ASA website (asaelectronics.com), they also make a WVOS43 version of the system with a 4.3 inch monitor and a WVOS541 version with a 5.6 inch monitor. Maybe one of these would work for John.

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net