Black Tank Rinse #2

weyzer

Hi every one, quick question and the answer may be obvious but its alluding me. The other day after dumping my black tank i attempted to rinse the tank using the appropriate hose connection. I hooked up my hose, turned on the water and no forward flow (yes the water was turned on and other wise working), i couldn't rinse the tank. Is there a valve of some sort that needs to be opened or closed to get flow into the black tank for rinsing? I really want to get the tank good and cleaned out for winter as she is going to be warehoused for quite a while. Any other suggestions about managing the black tank in general.....thanks....Leigh

Olive Oyl

2015 GMC Yukon

2016 Legacy Elite II

Hull # 132

I am guessing here ... it sounds as if the check valve in the hose is installed backwards, or there is a severe crimp or blockage in the hose itself... I don't know how easy it is to see the check valve. There should be an arrow on the housing showing flow direction. Obviously, it should point towards the black tank. Maybe a strong flashlight and an adjustable mechanic's inspection mirror would be called for.

You can clean the tank very well with a rinse wand and a garden hose from the toilet opening, just be darned careful. This has been done successfully for as long as RVs have been around.

I would hope that the pre-delivery inspection would include a function check and leak testing of this system! While it would be really easy to install the valve in the wrong orientation, a quality control inspection should easily catch such a mistake.

Good luck

I just have to ask, is your truck's nickname "Popeye"?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

As John said, sounds like the check valve might be reversed, remove the cover under the forward dinette seat, the check valve is the grey piece right before the tank, it's about 1 1/2 inches long. Funny, I just happened to check mine 2 days ago.

mlwqd1at69chuob7qrkryu2q48748dok.jpg.9d0a080b1c44b9073b2f37035d596597.jpg

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I have always put clear water in my tank, about half full, on my way home on the last trip of the year. The water splashing around seems to rinse it very well. Also during use we use Eco-Save as a tank chemical. It is antibacterial and actually feeds on waste. They don't recommend you put it into the tank until you have waste. It can freeze and still works next season. If no blue waste carrier, you can always empty tank into a 5 gallon bucket and empty into the toilet at home...

• Thanks 4

Randy and John,

That was it, the check Valve. Got in there with a flash light, turned it the right way and vola...water!

Thanks for the help. I like the idea of half filling the tank on the last trip home, have to remember that one for next year. I winterized her on Tuesday, she's getting washed and waxed in a week and then it's to bed for the winter, to dream about next summer...Leigh

• Thanks 2

Olive Oyl

2015 GMC Yukon

2016 Legacy Elite II

Hull # 132

• Moderators

OK,

The fresh water tank drain is a small valve located under the curbside access panel in the rear of the camper.  There is a "porthole" cover near the cold air return vent that you can use to get to it, but, if this is your first time I suggest getting to it via that access panel.  Usually it is hidden under the duct work but it will be there.  Once you find it and turn the knob on the valve to be inline with the blue pipe that it attached to, you should see water drain out of a small tube under the camper.  Once it has finished draining don't forget to move that valve knob back to its original position that is cross-wise of the blue pipe.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"