Heating System

Try2Relax

While I've read about how the space between the hulls, on the Elite II, is supposed to have some of the heated air directed into it, can someone tell me if this is direct or indirect? In the various things I've done in these areas I've never noticed that there is anything that would indicate it being direct.

This brings me to the modification part. If it is indirect, that being the cold air return, to the furnace, coming from the vent under the curb side bed, would it be feasible to locate that return vent under the forward dinette seat instead, as it is now the draw is as close to the furnace as possible, the new location would allow the cabin air to flow across all the tanks and components to increase the cold weather performance of the double hull design.

I ask because a few days ago it was in the mid 20s and with two sensors, one in the channel near the drain valve and the other in the channel near the black tank rinse, there was a 17 degree difference, with the furnace set and maintaining temp, the readings weren't checked during it running or close after so I would call it a static check.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

Randy,

Indirect via (as you mention) the cold air return and the heat that radiates from the exterior of the supply ducts plus that of the heater itself.  I'm guessing that the difference in temps you noted is due to the air being "hotter" the closer that you get to the heater and less due to the function of the cold air return.  I'm no HVAC guy, but, given the above I somehow doubt that moving the cold air return will have that much effect on your temp differential.  Perhaps a better spot for the cold air return would be nearer to the thermostat (or move the thermostat) so that it "senses the "cold air and pumps out more heat.  Seriously, I'd guess that the majority of the problem has to do with heat loss from the duct work on the run towards the bath plus the lack of hot air volume getting to the bath.  But, I repeat, I'm not a HVAC guy.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Why don't you block the existing return air grill with cardboard, crack open the dinette access panel and repeat your experiment?

If there is a decrease in the delta T then you may want to proceed with your mod. If there is no signifiant difference, well, you have entertained us all for a while and have a great week!

My guess is that if you do relocate the return air grill you will hear a little less furnace noise from the rear beds, if that matters at all.

If you really wanted to grab the bull by the horns, you could tee into one of the HVAC ducts in the front and install an adjustable damper to bleed hot air directly into the area. A simple mechanical one would probably work OK, after some experimenting. Or you could go all out: ...

can-vary-angle-damper.jpg

http://www.smartclima.com/category/air-duct-damper

Honestly, unless you want a toasty warm bathroom floor, I think this is really a non-issue.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

There seems to be a lot of heat delivered to the "basement" from the hot supply duct as I've noticed the bathroom delivery temp is cooler than the temp back by the beds.  Plus the whole basement gets warm and stays warm.  Also remember there is insulation against the lower shell.

I wouldn't worry about freezing any lines unless you are doing no heating and it's very cold.  Also, if you have the water heater on, that would also help.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• 4 years later...
On 10/24/2016 at 3:56 PM, Raspy said:

There seems to be a lot of heat delivered to the "basement" from the hot supply duct as I've noticed the bathroom delivery temp is cooler than the temp back by the beds.  Plus the whole basement gets warm and stays warm.  Also remember there is insulation against the lower shell.

I wouldn't worry about freezing any lines unless you are doing no heating and it's very cold.  Also, if you have the water heater on, that would also help.

Raspy:

This thread is very old, but I hope you will see my post.

I have remote read thermometers located at three locations between the hulls. When Elk hunting in Republic Washington last October it was 8F at night, and warmed up to 21F during the day. The first night my between the hull temp on the drivers side of the trailer dropped to 28F. I took emergency action and opened deck hatches. and raised the front dinette seat to put a space heater between the hulls. I got things stabalized at 33 F for the remainder of my time in Republic.

I have just finished opening a third duct from the heater and running new ducting to dump between hull heat to the drivers side. I installed ducting dampers controlling the amount of heat AND how much stays in the back half of the trailer and how much goes forward.

The other trailer in our party had their water freeze for 14 hours a day. Mine would have as well had I not acted. Some of us camp in colder temps than others!

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, theOrca said:

Raspy:

This thread is very old, but I hope you will see my post.

I have remote read thermometers located at three locations between the hulls. When Elk hunting in Republic Washington last October it was 8F at night, and warmed up to 21F during the day. The first night my between the hull temp on the drivers side of the trailer dropped to 28F. I took emergency action and opened deck hatches. and raised the front dinette seat to put a space heater between the hulls. I got things stabalized at 33 F for the remainder of my time in Republic.

I have just finished opening a third duct from the heater and running new ducting to dump between hull heat to the drivers side. I installed ducting dampers controlling the amount of heat AND how much stays in the back half of the trailer and how much goes forward.

The other trailer in our party had their water freeze for 14 hours a day. Mine would have as well had I not acted. Some of us camp in colder temps than others!

Raspy sold his Oliver a couple of years ago and is now in a Black Series HQ19.  He’s not on the forum much, you could PM him and he’ll check out your post.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

GREAT idea, having an option to use the 'space between the hulls' as an HVAC plenum and thereby assuring the TANKAGE/PIPES will not freeze ! . . . . .  It is worth mentioning that as long a Oliver continues to take very little or no care to clean the interior spaces, the living beings in the heated space using the air that traveled thru the 'vast dustiness' will potentially be exposed to rather high levels of FG Dust which will end up being 'Breathed/Worn/Eaten'.

Next week we will be emptying the trailer and using big air extraction equipment/ducts, HEPA vacuums and attempting to vacuum/blow/sweep and damp wipe the the construction dust/debris that the factory left behind. We will provide 8x10 glossy photos with circles and arrows to Oliver in hopes that 'those who come after' don't have to Endure/Breath/Wear/Eat FGDust.

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, georgelewisray said:

"... We will provide 8x10 glossy photos with circles and arrows..."

Will there be 27 of them...with a paragraph on the back of each one explaining...?

• Haha 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg