Issues Posting

• Administrators

Seems there have been some issues posting and the quote button not working.

I have found the culprit and it should all be working again. Let me know if you have any issues.

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Seems there have been some issues posting and the quote button not working. I have found the culprit and it should all be working again. Let me know if you have any issues.

Quote button test

• Thanks 1

Matt Duncan

Here is a test, as I  continue to have issues this morning.  My posts appear to not be on the forum, yet I did receive an email and pm responding to one of them...so must be there somewhere.  I simply cannot see it.  Let's see what happens here.

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

• 2 months later...

FYI- Having trouble with starting a new thread.  When I click on the section of the forum I want to start a thread in, (Ollie Modifications in this instance) it shows me as logged out rather than logged in, so the appropriate buttons are not available. I am able to click on an existing thread and reply however, (obviously, as with this thread) because in that instance my status still shows as logged in. I did try logging out, closing the session and starting anew, but no luck.

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

FYI- Having trouble with starting a new thread. When I click on the section of the forum I want to start a thread in, (Ollie Modifications in this instance) it shows me as logged out rather than logged in, so the appropriate buttons are not available. I am able to click on an existing thread and reply however, (obviously, as with this thread) because in that instance my status still shows as logged in. I did try logging out, closing the session and starting anew, but no luck.

The caching of the forum has been an issue since the switchover.  You can log in, but if you go to a page you went do just prior, you'll still show up as logged out.  You'll find that recent changes of any sort don't update across the site very timely - often hours after the fact.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Yes, I've noticed some issues. Sorry I have been swamped with other projects. I will look into the caching issue tomorrow morning. Trying to find the right mix of speed (which comes with caching) and posting timely (should be immediate) is a challenge.

• Thanks 2

Matt Duncan

Being that I primarily get in here on my phone, the new layout looks nice, I like the alternating background color, between topics. Maybe that can be carried through into the posts too.

It seems to be flowing more smoothly and posting on topic actually shows up immediately.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Administrators

I actually removed all the javascript files from the CDN (content delivery network). Basically the CDN has servers across the nation that stores a minified (condensed) copy of the website that helps with page load speed. If you are in Cali and go on the website, the CDN delivers the cached copy of the website from the closest server to load the page faster. On a forum based website where there are constant posting, if you cache the website through a CDN, any new posts are not included in the current cache until the cache is updated. This is the issue with not seeing posts for a few hours. Hopefully removing the javascript from the CDN will resolve some issues... but since the files are requested from the actual web host server, it will not be as fast . I will try to tweak things to get everything as fast as possible and keep posting immediate.

Matt Duncan

• Moderator+

Thanks Matt, I did notice that the posts were showing up immediately and figured you were working your magic somewhere. Good job.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Test post.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

A followup to this post:

I haven't been able to post for over a week now from my Android phone or tablet, Chrome. Now, I can't post from my laptop using Chrome, either. This post is a test on a friend's borrowed Mac to see if it is my equipment, browser, or another problem.

So, sorry to all the people who have asked questions lately. Most of the time pm works, but not always.

Hopefully, we'll get this resolved soon. Thanks, Matt, for all your help.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Test post. None of my devices have been working for a week, except like button and pm.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Well, maybe my upload speed on FiOS is too fast? I'm on 50/50 speeds. Using mobile 4g was painfully slow, but it worked.

I took my phone off wifi, and was able to post on 4g mobile data.

Two android devices, one chrome laptop, and a borrowed Mac were unable to post. Cleared cache, soft and hard reboots...

So, if others are unable to see your posts, please pm. I can see those, most of the time.

Matt? Any ideas?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I can post OK but the upload and download speed is _agonizingly_ slow in Safari, and only marginally better in Firefox.... Safari keeps giving me "Error in connecting with database messages".

NO other websites are doing this - it is yet another Oliver Forum issue. I don't understand why it is so darned hard to keep this running smoothly.

Not good at all. It just pisses people off, and that is bad manners.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me (my browser) or is everyone having more issues lately?

Today it seems the recent tab on the right is dead, leads to an empty page.

My bookmark is set to recent topics, open it and it says last post was 36 min ago, login to comment and now it says last post was 9 hours 47 minutes ago, clear browsing history and get completely different most recent post....

Yesterday, click on recent topic icon and it would open to what had been the most recent two days before and there would be 4 or more posts on topic after where it opened to.

I get the impression Matt is trying to collect click counts making people click all over the place trying to find what's new on here. (Just kidding)

Edit - forgot I'm on Android using Firefox browser, tried PC and got completely different results too.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Yesterday and this morning I couldn't get 'recent topics' to show anything at all.  Last week or so, the forum stopped updating it's caches for me.  It had been doing really well for a few weeks, though slower.

I figured that Matt had decided that the tradeoff was better the way he had it before - less updating but faster.  For me, it end up being slower though, because since I can't tell what's been updated I have to hunt around to see if anything's new.  I'd rather load one really slow page than four slightly less slow pages.

Oliver just needs a faster server/hosting service.  That, or a less taxing/more mature forum platform.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

I'm actually in the process of moving everything to a new host that specializes in Wordpress hosting. Might take all weekend. about 10GB of data and images to migrate. We will see.

• Thanks 1

Matt Duncan