Aluminum destruction ....in a matter of minutes from gallium

John E Davies

The Oliver frame is wonderfully engineered, beautiful to behold, and very durable. Just don't bring any gallium (or mercury) along on your next camping trip.

This is undoubtedly a pointless post, but the video is really cool and more than a little scary. Especially since you can have a small vial of gallium shipped free to your home for $10 from Amazon.....

This stuff, as well as mercury, is absolutely forbidden on airplanes, because a tiny spill could cause hundreds of thousands of $ worth of damage to the structure.

Yikes.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 3 weeks later...

OTT got back to me rather quickly with an answer to this question.  The chassis is mostly 6,000 series aluminum, specifically 6061 T6 alloy.  This is a very strong alloy with very good welding characteristics.  I am quite familiar with this material.  Back in the day when I was machining parts for Boeing aircraft, this was the alloy that was specified.  It is a very strong and high quality alloy that was adopted for structure material for commercial and military aircraft.  Some chassis components utilize a higher nickle content 5052 aluminum.  These are sections that require bending or shaping before fabrication.  I am satisfied that the 'aluminum' chassis is constructed of top quality materials, engineered for this type of application.

• Thanks 4