GEOCACHING ?

mountainborn

• Moderators

Here is a link to a Good Sam Club article about Geocaching:

http://beta.goodsamclub.com/MemberContentDetails.aspx?article=Caching%20In&articleid=1335745

The article contains a good description of geocaching. Butcherknife and I have been geocaching for years, though a bit sporadicly, and find it quite enjoyable. We have hidden 42 geocaches and have found about 350.

There are so many wild, remote and very cool places here in the Ouachita Mountains, that we have laid out a Geocache trail that loops through the Brushy Creek recreation area.

Primitive campsites, clear streams, beautiful forest and miles and miles of uninhabited Arkansas Outback ! The GPS helps visitors to successfully navigate their way in and out by following the geocache trail. ;)

Complete information about GEOCACHING located at:

http://www.geocaching.com

One of our Geocaches may be viewed at:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2628e2a2-ecf6-4b14-a274-20bb8c696716

Carved from a tree stump with a chainsaw, here is one of the blue eyed coyote brothers that the cache was named after:

Note that the plucky coyote is sticking his tongue out at passers by ! :o

The cache it's self is a steel ammo can hidden nearby that is full of "GEOSWAG" ! :D

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This is a paste from the Arkansas Geocachers Web site:

>

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:11 pm Post subject: "WASHOUT" of a caching trip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got a late start this morning, didn't get away from the house untill ten oclock. I had loaded caches into the new Garmin Colorado GPS last night and away we went to find caches in an area South of Lodi.

The M/S trips & streets said we were near the first cache so I turned on the Colorado. Nothing ! Well duuh, I didn't get it right and there were no caches in the machine.

Changing the old Magellan Gold's maping protocol to the one that Streets & Trips uses, we continued onward, entering each cache manualy, one at a time as needed.

A few bumps in the road, but still not a washout !

Eight or nine caches on down the road, we found a county road department diamond shaped warning sign, face down in an intersection. A four wheeler had been spinning doughnuts around it. We continued on towards the next cache.

Butcherknife is driving, I am navigating. As I am trying to get the pointer on the pushpin icon for the next cache so I can bring up the coordinates for the manual entry into the Magellan, it happened. Suddenly hitting the brakes and causing my shoulder/lap belt to quickly latch as the wireless mouse skipped across the dashboard, butcherknife said, "HOLEY SCHIZZLE !!"

A BRIDGE WASHOUT HAD OCCOURED. Not your average old missing bridge, bump in the road type of washout. But one instead, that would hold several semi tractor trailers !

When I saw that butcherknife reached over and pulled the transfer case into four wheel drive low range, and started down the bank into the ditch, I went to grabbing for the cell phone camera and started shooting video. It is low quality and grainy, but you will still get a good look at reason number 134, "WHY WE DRIVE A JEEP CACHING" !!

We were late for lunch, low on gas, and as we jarred and bounced through the water crossing, we were amazed at the actual size of the washout.

Here is a link to the video on youtube:

>

>

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

June the 26th. 2005, we released this White Jeep Travel Bug in a geocache in the Arkansas Outback that it takes a Jeep to get to. This has been a favorite place for me ever since coming back from nam'. The links will take you to the story of placing the geocache and the other link to the story of the Jeep's travels.

>

>

Here is a paste from another forum:

>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This WJTB is presently touring Europe, FRANCE, after being released in the Arkansas Outback's "Lock Yer' Hubs", http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ebe29bed-58b7-4aa9-8ef2-24dac3a9e150%20 Cache. Here is the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=294b01a2-0d0b-4225-aac2-a1cfe8701c46

This is the geocaching web page where the White Jeep Travel Bug is at now, in France:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ce11ac6-9782-4545-af6f-038d8b5d967c

• Moderators

This short trip report is a paste from this link:

>

Only the very evilist of intentioned geocachers would place a nano cache in the woods.

Butcherknife and I had paused briefly for a cool drink in the breezeway of the RKLMBL abode. Busy chatting amiably with our hosts, I must have missed the plotting stage of the episode that was about to unflurl before my very eyes.

I still didn't catch on when Ron said to Betty, "would you mind babysitting Maribeth for a few minutes ? Mike needs to catch a cache while I have a key to the gate. Larry hasn't got it yet either, and this may be the only time the gate may be open for a long while."

Now, I wasn't paying much attention because I was amongst friends, or so I thought. Little did I suspect that there were two evil geocachers plotting to put a South Arkansas Hillbilly in over his head at a geocache that would be burned into his memory for ever !

As we arrived at MIKE'S CACHE, my inferior Magellan Gold was off by eighteen feet. Evil cacher #2, AR HICK, was right on the money.

As we were enroute to Mike's cache, we passed a cache site that was mentioned casually as handy to the road with almost no walking, a simple park and grab. Later it turned out to be the location of the nano in the woods.

On the way back past that cache, we noted two soon to be married cachers at that site looking for the cache.

Evil cacher #1 said "should we stop and help them ? " Evil cacher #2 said, "yeh."

Even then, I didn't catch on that putting me in a situation where I would be looking for a NANO in the WOODS, was their underlying evil intent !

With two fellow cachers in full search mode and in need of assistance, I stepped from the pickup truck with my trusty but dated Magelllan Gold in my hand. Even at this point the two grinning evil cachers, who had stayed sitting in the truck, had not mentioned that it was a nano cache.

Team golfnuts was searching dilligently while muttering about "why any one would place a nano cache in the woods". I thought to myself, what did they say ?

Then it dawned on me. NANO IN THE WOODS.

HOLEY SCHIZZLE ! Looking around quickly to protest to my companions that were still sitting in the truck grinning widely, I couldn't help but grin back at the mischiveous plotters !

So there I was. Cast into a unfolding geo drama. Two of the best cachers around, were there, searching dilligently though un successfully, and I had been sent to help, me, a hillbilly with defective equipment.

I took a deep breath, squared my shoulders up towards the cache area, and waded on in, with the chortle's and snickers of EVIL CACHER #1 and EVIL CACHER #2, still ringing in my ears. . . . . . . . . . .

Ain't geocaching such a good game, especially when shared with friends !

>

CLARKSVILLE OR CACHEVILLE, you be the judge. What a great gathering of friends.

We were able to show our Legacy Elite to over twenty people at the geocaching event.

Butcherknife took three different groups of four Ladies at different times through the day. The guys seemed to want to do a one on one tour and I lost count of how many I took through the Oliver. The intrest level was high and I'll bet that Robert is getting calls already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Tumbleweed brought his GPS with him and we found a few caches located around the Lake. He just seems to naturally go to the right place to find the cache ! The first find was a clever cache appropriately named "THE PUSHBUTTON CACHE". Within a couple of minutes Chuck was pushing the right button to get the cache to pop suddenly from it's hiding place ! :shock::o

• Moderators

Tumbleweed, this one is located out on the lake, we didn't get a chance to go there during your visit.

>

A very cool thing about geocaching is that it will take you to some really nifty but not well known historical sites.

>

Some on here may remember Movie Star Clint Walker. This was his grand pa's homestead place during the 1900's. The lake was flooded in the 50's, but the old homesite is still above the waterline.

This is is a paste from a post I made on a geocaching forum.

>

ANIMAL MUGGLED CACHE ?

>

We havn't heard from the cache owner yet, but think that the cache was muggled by wildlife.

Here are the photos:

>

>

>

>

>

There was no log book, but the scattered swag matched the description of some of the swag listed on the cache page.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The weekend of May 31 / June 1 2008 we went to a geocaching event. Towing our Ollie, naturally. We spent two nights dry camped at Lake Catherine State park. The scenery was great and the folks there were fun.

This was the annual ( The first annual ) Arkansas Geocachers Social Event, held on Saturday, and the annual CITO ( cache In Trash Out ) event on Sunday. Arkansas State Parks waived camping and day use fees in lieu of our trash pick up effort. Now that is cool ! Two free days of camping for a few hours of trash pickup ! :D

Our Ollie caught the eye of quite a few folks and we were able to show Ollie to nine people.

Here is a short video of the marshmallow massacre Saturday evening as dusk was beginning to gather up around the campfire with us. No commentary, just ambient audio.

Drag up a lawn chair, smell the campfire smoke, admire the dazzling display of the low angle sun's rays flittering through the trees, shuffle your feet in the pine needles, listen to the chatter of the children, and think about the graham crackers with melted and golden brown marshmallow, as it gently Ooozes over the edge of a chunk of hershey bar ! SMORES RULE !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9pOt5rKHSc

• Moderators

Fort Smith ! We'll do it ! Chuck, one cool aspect of geocaching is that you can do a search for caches along a route and grab a few along the way, without putting too big of a crimp in your schedule. Rest areas have some quick PNG's ( park and grabs ) and some travel bug exchanges, ( often called a travel bug motel ).

>

We are getting ready to make our OLLIE a travel bug so that as people discover it, they can log it as a find, where ever it may be, even flying down the interstate ! Wow ! The first ever OLIVER TRAVEL BUG ! ;)8-) WOooHOoo !

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Scubarx and the mountainborn's joined a geocaching Casitan couple, the par-a-medics, to present an hour long discover geocaching presentation at the RVER II Rally in VanBuren Arkansas.

It was a rainy day, courtesy of Hurricane Ike, so we didn't get to go out and find but one cache, nearby.

It was a cache called "Pass the barbeque", a ammo can full of trinkets and a log book. I took and logged on the path tag website, the serial numbered coin of an retired airborne artic paratrooper.

I will put the path tag in a geocache on down the road somewhere so that others may also discover it.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

Now that's a well-traveled travel bug! Cool.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Just accessed a geocaching.com feature, "caches along a route". I loaded all of the geocaches that are within 1/4 mile of our route to Colorado, into microsoft streets & trips. As we run MS Streets & trips while going down the road, the caches appear and the GPS pointer lets us know how far away the are. A very intresting diversion that will take you slightly off of the beaten path to cool historical places.

When we are as close as we can get while towing our Ollie, we step out with the hand held GPS to close in and find the geocache.

• Moderators

I know TUMBLEWEED is a rodeo fan, he, he, here comes the digg Chuck, my buddy ! If he had been running the geocaching program he would have known that he passed with in feet of the burial place of Rodeo's famious Lane Frost and Freckles Brown (33. 59.9254 N 095 30.096 W), when he passed through Hugo Oklahoma on US Hwy. 70. Maybe we can remember to post a photo.

Or, the travel bug motel cache as you cross I-35 0n US 70 he might have picked up this cool geo coin commemorating the unknown Soldier:

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

BUGEYEDRIVER IS A CACHEMASTER !

This geocache is located up high on a pinnacle above the Cumbres and Toltec Senic Railroad. It is hard to find. It had been found only twice before. There was no trail beaten out to lead us to the cache. After a difficult climb and a lengthy search, Pete stood still for a couple of minutes thinking and looking while I was trying to catch my breath ( folks hundreds of feet below us likely thought all of that huffing and puffing was the steam engine coming up the tracks ), then he simply pointed and said check right there. Sure enough it was there ! Here's the pix:

100_0647.jpg100_0648.jpg100_0649.jpg

The Cumbres Pass Train Stations is way below us at 1022 feet of elevation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

While geocaching in Coffeyville Kansas at a cache named PO'S TREE, a sharp, shiney, tricked out Jeep Rubicon pulled up to say Hi. The driver was a long time neighbor of Po and gave us some cool background about him. Then, as Jeepers tend to do, the conversation turned to Jeeps.

I had asked about a cool overhead shelf in his Jeep, located just above the sun visors. The shelf had caught my eye because our Jeep's dash is always covered with things like GPS, Camera, binoculars, ball caps, and just on and on. That very cool shelf just seemed to be the perfect solution ! Here is a look:

100_0907.jpg

100_0906.jpg

Well, to make a long story short, it turns out that Doug Misch makes those cool shelves and other sweet Jeep storage and convenience items. Before long we were talkin' Jeeps at Doug's office a short distance away, and Betty and I were looking at some of the slickest Jeep solutions ever ! Here is a look at Doug Misch in his office, after hours, taking care of business for his newest satisfied customers, that he met at a geocache.

100_0908.jpg

There was so much cool and practical stuff at Doug's place, that we left with more than the shelf, or those sweet storage bags for the Jeep's headrest, we had found a friend. Thank's Doug, for your attention to our needs.

Should you have a intrest in 4X4 innovations, Misch 4X4 products may be viewed at: http://www.misch4x4.com If you want to call him instead, he is at: 620-251-9100 . Or mention it to me and I have a hand full of brochures that show many of his cool products.