Southwest Tour

snowlakemike

Elizabeth and I had planned our honeymoon tour for the first of November.  Thanks to help from another, we were able to keep that schedule and just returned from twelve days out on the highways of MS, TN, AR, TX, NM, AZ, and OK. We had very few issues with the trailer or the lifestyle and enjoyed the trip even more that we thought we might. Trip highlights were walking down into Carlsbad Cavern through the natural entrance. We stayed at the Carlsbad KOA RV park.  for two nights to enable a long visit to the area. Another highlight was the trainride up from Williams, AZ to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and subsequent return. We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel and Campground at Williams, again for two nights. Williams was interesting. We had great company there, good food, and a lifetime adventure with our newfound friends. We stopped at Sedona after leaving Williams. What an amazing place! Maybe the most beautiful town I have ever seen.. We didn't camp there, but enjoyed the daytrip. We took our time traveling and even enjoyed Rte 66 coming home, making frequent stops along the way.

Regarding the Ollie, I learned that the consequences of forgetting to close a window are severe for the shade. I also broke one the the links on the Anderson Hitch chain.  Not sure what they are called, but the one in the middle that locks two chain segments together. It came unfastened, and then stretched out to the point where I could not tighten the chain for proper weight distribution-still, effectively towing naked, the Ollie towed behind the F150 easily.

Here are a few phone pics.  We took many more with the Cannon, but Elizabeth has not uploaded those as yet.

Mike-at-Grand-Canyon.jpg.8f2b44a71d133ec4785a2bd5cbcffd94.jpg

Kisses-on-the-train.jpg.58112553547a212ef5d1b83754de9beb.jpg

Train-enroute-to-canyon.jpg.cefe897b323643d83befda1b42fd8913.jpg

Canyone-Sky.jpg.db52471da9039c66f8c78339f38611f7.jpg

Cowboy-on-Highway.jpg.614ed09d5c559c62b6a44c5085486a43.jpg

Roswell-Museum.jpg.1eb526aa2e3e4df4475cbe1de0272011.jpg

Standing-on-a-Corner-in-WInslow-Arizona.jpg.e05d47f99e984346261b3d79b7fc264c.jpg

Ollie-in-Autumn.jpg.86e6ea4763d97e807ef589480deda496.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

• Moderators

Mike, sounds like a great trip.  Nice phone pics - I'm singing Eagles songs in my head now....

We are going to Carlsbad the week after Thanksgiving.  Considering either Carlsbad KOA or Buds Place RV Park.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

Mike, know you had a bumpy start and glad everything got worked out. No more issues with the solar, I assume?  Looks like you guys had a great maiden voyage.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Mike,

We stayed at Carlsbad KOA.  It is a very nice camp, if remote. It is an hour (more or less) from the cavern.  It is also about an hour from Roswell.  Might be a good spot to camp and do daytrips.

If you have never been to the cavern, be aware that there are two routes in. Walk the natural entrance, or ride the elevator straight down. We elected to walk down through the natural entrance, but rode the elevator back up.  It is about 700 feet and we were not up to the climb.  Those choices worked very well for us.

We have been through caverns in Ky and AR, but Carlsbad is king of caverns.

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

Steve,

Thanks again for your help. The trip was even more fun than we imagined! We put 3,200 miles on her and she (and the Ford Truck) handled it well.

We did manage our first Walmart Overnight.  It was in NM.  Elizabeth was in the trailer. I had gone out to ...do something.  Not sure what right now. There was a panhandler just off the Walmart property line.  (I assume security kept him there).  He started hollering at me....nor quite sure what he was saying.  A second (apparant) panhandler came along and started yelling at the first one. They shoved a couple of times, then the first one left. Th3e second watched until he was gone, then he walked away as well. Didn't see either of them again. Fun stuff!

Also, I was a bit surprised at the number of people who have taken up permanent residence at the less expensive rv parks.  I knew people buy huge Type A and C coaches and cruies America while home schooling their children, but theses folks were different..appeared to be living a cheap as possible. I find myself wondering why..

At the Grand Canyon Railway I sprang for the nicest site they had. Long, large, all the amenities...etc., etc..  Was really something to see the 23' Fiberglass sitting between two huge buses!

We'd love to meet you guys for dinner one night.  I have friends who have recently opened a small restaurant at New Albany.  Perhaps we could meet there and enjoy a nice Italian dinner.

Mike

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS