The Journey begins!

ghoffman

We're very excited about our future travels with our Oliver purchase from two wonderful people Kathy & Craig Carr (previous owners of hull # 58) on 9/15/2016 who introduced us to the Oliver travel trailer world. We then preceded to the 1st Oliver Rally where we met the Oliver family and community of Oliver owners, who inspired and made us both proud of the Oliver vision. Life's a journey, not a destination...... let the journey begin!

• Thanks 2

Welcome! I've owned my Elite II for less than 9 months and I've traveled almost 8,000 miles since taking delivery in March. I winterized the camper last Friday and felt very sad when I closed the door to my storage unit! Weather and road conditions permitting, I plan to get it out and head south to Big Bend National Park in mid to late January.

You've joined a group of very happy, involved travel trailer owners.

Don

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Thanks Don for the welcome.  Big Bend is on my bucket list for someday in the journey, but right now I'm still learning the ropes.  It is a great community of friends and we soon realized that at the rally.  I'm heading to Baton Rouge LA to attend a music educators convention on Wednesday... with our Oliver.... my first business / unconventional camp trip.... any excuse to camp :)  Then I too will winterize the camper when I return.

Question.....?  Would you mind sharing your steps to winterizing your Oliver or maybe you had it done.  I was able to learn the water system at the rally and that's as far as I got.  That was our first weekend camping and I was on information overload to say the least.  Any info would be greatly appreciated...... I don't want to mess this one up! lol

Thanks again.... Greg

Greg,

This is my final winterization checklist that I confirmed with Tommy at Oliver. That's 2 cups of antifreeze in each of the drains. Also, it took quite awhile to blow out all of the water from the plumbing using my small air compressor:

* Attach air compressor set at 35 psi to the winterization/boondocking inlet.

* Close all faucets except kitchen sink and operate compressor until no more water comes out of faucet.

* Repeat for bathroom faucet.

* Repeat for outside shower.

* Repeat same process with air compressor attached to fresh water fill

* Repeat same process with air compressor attached to city water connection.

* Repeat same process with black tank rinse inlet.

* Turn on outside shower and use water pump to pump dry.

* Replace anode in water heater

* Reverse step to bypass water heater

* Pour small amount of RV antifreeze in kitchen/bathroom sinks and shower drain to protect the traps

* Pour 2 cups of RV antifreeze into:

* kitchen sink

* bathroom sink

* shower drain

* toilet & flush

* Pour 1 cup of antifreeze into toilet bowl to protect seal

* Close fresh water drain

* Return valves to normal configuration

* Open all faucets including outside shower

* Remove all fabric covered cushions including mattresses.

To use the trailer when ready in the spring, you don’t need to do anything because you don’t have antifreeze in anything other than the drains.

Add remove strainer bowl on inlet side of water pump, empty water from bowl, clean any debris from metal screen, and reinstall

Don

• Thanks 1

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

Greg,

You mentioned a music educators' convention. I'm not a musician, but I am devoted to music. I've been very involved with Orchestra Iowa for years and I've booked a fantastic jazz festival for a number of years. Check out the Iowa City Jazz Festival history at www.summerofthearts.org. I started booking with the 2013 festival. Next summer, my Ollie will be the "green room" for some of our performers!

Don

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

Randy,

Originally I thought it was a good idea to avoid mildew. After thinking it through, I left all the cushions in place. I store the Ollie in a clean, unheated indoor storage unit. Our winters in Iowa are dry and cold. At home, we have to add humidity when we run the furnace in the winter. I think it will actually be less humid in the storage unit.

Don

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Guys,

I've used "DampRid" ( https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG50T-Hi-Capacity-Moisture-Absorber/dp/B0029EGUNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479333927&sr=8-1&keywords=dehumidifier+crystals ) for a number of years without problems in several campers.  I do replace and/or refill the crystals at least once over the winter.  WalMart also sells this stuff.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"