CUSTOM MADE MATTRESSES

hardrock

For sometime, my wife and I have been unhappy with sleeping on the cushions that come standard with Elite Travel Trailers,  not to be confused with the larger Elite II, standard with mattresses.

I purchased a single sized foam mattress but this too was unwieldy, not fitting either bed well. I had talked to other Oliver owners and was referred to Southern Mattress located in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. I contacted them and they indeed confirmed they would custom make a mattress for my Oliver Elite. My conundrum was how I could configure the mattress to access the components and storage areas under the seats. A full sized mattress would be just too much to lift and hold in place as I pulled out storage items, much less to try to work on a component (electrical, hydraulics, water, etc.). As I explained this to my wife telling her I wanted to split the mattress in half, she pointed out it would be very uncomfortable, sliding down in the crack. She said " split it where the bench ends, 1/3 and 2/3s. The crack will be at your knees and you will not feel it". I contacted Southern Mattress and they agreed to cut it where ever I wanted it cut.

I traveled to Rocky Mount, North Carolina and found this to be a family owned company. I arrived in late afternoon and the owner took me to his home. There, we hooked up my trailer with electrical and water on a pad next to his home. The next morning I pulled my trailer to the factory and they began to make my mattress. With each step, they asked me to approve the work, include changes I wanted made, etc. they measured the trailer, made the pattern and asked if I wanted extra room to be able to put bed linens on the mattress. The pattern was a good fit for the 2/3 - 1/3 combination. In short, I was very pleased with the mattress. I selected a 5" firm foam with another layer of soft memory foam. That night, I had the best sleep ever in my Oliver Elite.

I also had a mattress made for the smaller dinette/bed. I used the single sized foam mattress that I had purchased earlier in the year. Southern Mattress did not object to this. Again, they cut the foam to the 1/3-2/3 combination. Each matress was covered in a premium quality quilted cover, fire retardant and straps sewn in to make moving easy. The mattress was double sewn all the way around to reinforce the straps. By noon, I was on the road, headed home.

That night, I slept for the first time very comfortably on my new custom-made mattress. It now slides over easily and stores on top of the other matress while I access the storage and component areas.

If you are interested in a quality mattress, custom made, they now have patterns for both the Elite and the Elite II. They can custom make you a mattress and ship to you. They do not press the mattress in a roll. Rather they box the mattress and ship it to you.

Southern Matress Company 1812 Cokey Road  Rocky Mount , North Carolina. 800-227-8701

Below are pictures of my mattresses in my Oliver Elite.

Coy

IMG_2556.thumb.jpg.c2c451811c99402458e1c84188142580.jpg

IMG_2560.thumb.jpg.418e8d5c98536f82bac2915b88d20fc4.jpg

IMG_2559.thumb.jpg.fadba45a92a44cde66e62d756f809fae.jpg

• Thanks 11
  • Like 3

How awesome that they were able to accommodate all your requests!

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ended up with a king size latex topper. Love it!

I was suspicious because the memory foam toppers are just way too soft for me (at least the Costco one was).  Turns out the latex topper is really great. Very comfortable - feels just like I'm on a "real" mattress.... And it's easy to flip aside to get to access compartments..... - And I don't have to find somewhere to store all the cushions (which I would have had to toss if I'd gone with a custom mattress, because I don't HAVE any storage!)

Expensive but worth it.

Carole

• Thanks 2

Carole ....and a couple of Malinois

2016 Legacy Elite II #175

2016 Ram 2500 

I ended up with a king size latex topper. 

When I go through them on Amazon, I found you have to go by the specified shipping weight. The real ones have a density of 5 lbs/ sqft most of the imposters are 2-3 and are super soft spongy.

Would you be able to post a link to the latex one you ended up with?

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I got it at a brick and mortar store I went to inquiring about making a custom mattress for the trailer.  She showed me the option of latex topper and I jumped all over it without even being able to lie on it at the store.....(personal feelings for avoiding off gassing materials around me as much as possible).

So my receipt says - Malouf, Isolus 2" Latex Topper King.

When I pulled it out of the box I was convinced it would be terrible - it seemed so soft and squishy. But I tossed it on - lied down on it - and fell in love.  :-)

• Thanks 1

Carole ....and a couple of Malinois

2016 Legacy Elite II #175

2016 Ram 2500 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

So, our down alternative mattress topper/fake featherbed finally bit the dust after over nine years of flipping, turning, washing and fluffing. It went to the curb when we got home from our last trip of the season a few weeks ago.

I figured I had a few months to research and find an alternative. Last week, at Aldi I found a two inch cool foam topper, with cover, for $89. Better yet, when I got to checkout, it was on closeout. $60.

At less than a third of the price of the original, I'll give it a try.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 year later...

The twin mattresses are 30” X 75”

You may want to consider the thickness of the mattress as well. I do not like the foam mattress upgrade. It is HOT in the summer. I have the blue cool top. Great summer and winter

No linens supplied by Oliver

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2016 at 12:16 PM, hardrock said:

For sometime, my wife and I have been unhappy with sleeping on the cushions that come standard with Elite Travel Trailers,  not to be confused with the larger Elite II, standard with mattresses.

I purchased a single sized foam mattress but this too was unwieldy, not fitting either bed well. I had talked to other Oliver owners and was referred to Southern Mattress located in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. I contacted them and they indeed confirmed they would custom make a mattress for my Oliver Elite. My conundrum was how I could configure the mattress to access the components and storage areas under the seats. A full sized mattress would be just too much to lift and hold in place as I pulled out storage items, much less to try to work on a component (electrical, hydraulics, water, etc.). As I explained this to my wife telling her I wanted to split the mattress in half, she pointed out it would be very uncomfortable, sliding down in the crack. She said " split it where the bench ends, 1/3 and 2/3s. The crack will be at your knees and you will not feel it". I contacted Southern Mattress and they agreed to cut it where ever I wanted it cut.

I traveled to Rocky Mount, North Carolina and found this to be a family owned company. I arrived in late afternoon and the owner took me to his home. There, we hooked up my trailer with electrical and water on a pad next to his home. The next morning I pulled my trailer to the factory and they began to make my mattress. With each step, they asked me to approve the work, include changes I wanted made, etc. they measured the trailer, made the pattern and asked if I wanted extra room to be able to put bed linens on the mattress. The pattern was a good fit for the 2/3 - 1/3 combination. In short, I was very pleased with the mattress. I selected a 5" firm foam with another layer of soft memory foam. That night, I had the best sleep ever in my Oliver Elite.

I also had a mattress made for the smaller dinette/bed. I used the single sized foam mattress that I had purchased earlier in the year. Southern Mattress did not object to this. Again, they cut the foam to the 1/3-2/3 combination. Each matress was covered in a premium quality quilted cover, fire retardant and straps sewn in to make moving easy. The mattress was double sewn all the way around to reinforce the straps. By noon, I was on the road, headed home.

That night, I slept for the first time very comfortably on my new custom-made mattress. It now slides over easily and stores on top of the other matress while I access the storage and component areas.

If you are interested in a quality mattress, custom made, they now have patterns for both the Elite and the Elite II. They can custom make you a mattress and ship to you. They do not press the mattress in a roll. Rather they box the mattress and ship it to you.

Southern Matress Company 1812 Cokey Road  Rocky Mount , North Carolina. 800-227-8701

Below are pictures of my mattresses in my Oliver Elite.

Coy

IMG_2556.thumb.jpg.c2c451811c99402458e1c84188142580.jpg

IMG_2560.thumb.jpg.418e8d5c98536f82bac2915b88d20fc4.jpg

IMG_2559.thumb.jpg.fadba45a92a44cde66e62d756f809fae.jpg

I also bought mine from Souther Mattress in North Carolina.  They could not have been nicer to work with and they shipped them in big boxes (and it only took them a few days, too!!).  I highly recommend them!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Landrover said:

When your ready look at AB lifestyles for the bedding. Sheets, blankets, mattress pads etc. all cut to fit the Oliver patterns. They are located in South Carolina. Great company to work with.

I also used  AB Lifestyles. I bought sheets, blankets, mattress pads and pillowcases from them.  They are very nice people and very easy to work with.  I would recommend them in a heartbeat!   I also bought Dem-Dry for under the mattresses from Ravenwolf Marine and they are also good people to work with.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Landrover said:

When your ready look at AB lifestyles for the bedding. Sheets, blankets, mattress pads etc. all cut to fit the Oliver patterns. They are located in South Carolina. Great company to work with.

We did too.  Great products and easy to work with.

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

@Nicole, coy hadn't been on the forum lately.

I'd suggest that you try a pm for more details.

His idea was genius,  really, I agree.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.