Voyager back up camera - So much glare can't see anything

ccarole

Any solutions out there for glare? Picture is fine if it's dry and bright daylight. Any moisture or beginnings of dusk there is so much glare that there is nothing to be seen. Toggling between day/night/auto setting show the exact same view.

It's basically useless as it is --

*Also there is a lot of lost connection - the wires seem to be loose.  The standard hand connections are fine - it  seems to be those jumble of wires. If the get touched or moved the picture goes on and off. Any suggestions for that?

Took video of it but I don't see a way to attach it to this post.

Thank you,

Carole

Carole ....and a couple of Malinois

2016 Legacy Elite II #175

2016 Ram 2500 

Hi Buzzy,

It's not sun glaring/shining on the moniter........it's the picture itself. Headlights, streetlamps, etc. glare the entire picture screen. Also even during the day if there is rain.

The problem with the cable wires is that there seems to be bad wiring. All the connections are put together properly.

I'll try to figure how to share you tubes here - I've done lots of that for various classes but don't see a way to post them on this forum.

2016 Ram 2500 

It look like I'm shaking the cables hard but I'm not. This on and off of the picture also occurs when I'm just driving. Connection is lost and the moniter keeps re-connecting itself to camera.

You can see the useless picture I get on the moniter at the end of the video.

2016 Ram 2500 

• Moderator+
It look like I’m shaking the cables hard but I’m not. This on and off of the picture also occurs when I’m just driving. Connection is lost and the moniter keeps re-connecting itself to camera. You can see the useless picture I get on the moniter at the end of the video. *Also there is a lot of lost connection – the wires seem to be loose. The standard hand connections are fine – it seems to be those jumble of wires. If the get touched or moved the picture goes on and off. Any suggestions for that?

Since the connection between the camera and the monitor is wireless there is no way to lose connection by jiggling the wiring, so it's power to your monitor that's being lost not connection to the camera. The female 12 volt "power ports" in most cars/truck are a piece of junk.  The male plugs just won't stay seated in them (watch the video and you will see the power button going off and on as it loses power.)  You'll have to find a way to keep the connection hot.

You can alleviate some of the night time glare by tilting the camera up so you do not "see" so much of the trailer. The IR LED's that come on after dark are seeing the reflection of the stark white gel-coat and closing down the lens, so glare is normal for night time (I just turn it off after dark.)  The vacuum created behind a moving vehicle causes rain water to collect on the plate covering the lens of the camera and makes it blurry.  If you figure out a solution to that please let me know.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"Since the connection between the camera and the monitor is wireless there is no way to lose connection by jiggling the wiring, so it’s power to your monitor that’s being lost not connection to the camera."

Excellent point.  :-)

It has the same problem when I plug it into the 12 volt power port in the trailer - I don't think that port is the problem. It's the wires - specifically that tiny little red accessory wire. It must be broken inside. The connection under the little plastic caps is good. Seems Oliver could have found a camera to install that didn't have all these extra wires all wadded up all over the place. :-/

I've sent a request to Oliver to replace the cable for me. I'll let you know what I hear.

Carole

2016 Ram 2500