How to edit or delete your own posts

• Moderators

I had a question from a member this morning on how to delete a duplicate post. Since each of us has likely wanted to fix a post with typos, or delete a duplicate, I thought I would just remind members how to accomplish these tasks.

Make sure you are logged in to the forum. Above each of your posts, you'll see a set of buttons including edit, quote, trash, and others.

If you would like to edit, click that button. Your post header will have a new background color, and a bold message at the top says "now editing this post". Change your text or add/delete a photo... whatever changes you would like to make, review, and scroll all the way to the bottom to the orange submit button..

To delete your post entirely, go to the post, hit the trash button, and the post will come up with a colored background. Review to make sure this is the post you would like to delete, then hit the delete action button that now appears above the post.  If you discover this is not the post you wish to delete, hit cancel.

Once you have deleted a post, we cannot bring it back. It's gone forever.

Hope this helps some of the new users. The board is fairly intuitive, but I have been asked this question several times, so I thought I'd just put the info out there.

Sherry

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well, thanks for letting me know that. I see only my mod version of the screen. No wonder I have received a number of requests to delete duplicate posts. Thanks for the info, canoe 12.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

So, for now, those instructions are useless. I'm sorry.. under the old forum format you could edit or delete your own post for at least 24 hours.

I'll see what can be done about that. In the meantime, if you need to delete a duplicate post, pm me.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We only have reply, quote, and thanks buttons

So, for now, those instructions are useless. I’m sorry.. under the old forum format you could edit or delete your own post for at least 24 hours. I’ll see what can be done about that. In the meantime, if you need to delete a duplicate post, pm me. Sherry

Actually, after you post, the options up top are Edit/ Reply/ Quote.

1-1.thumb.jpg.9f82a5a5aa9c21604119039a3b507b9f.jpg

If you want to quote more then one person, you can scroll back up and click as many posts as needed.

After you hit Edit, you can add hyperlinks, pictures, change your message or simply empty it. Then after it's empty, just write Delete at the top or in the title and the moderators will take it from there :)

2-1.thumb.jpg.d7d32efd42aff3f7b73257afbfd00250.jpg

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

As of a few hours ago, i believe canoe12 was correct. Thanks, quote, and reply were the only buttons available to me when I posted a test under a user / not moderator account I created. I emailed our admin, and i believe he added edit, in place of thanks, I guess, as none of us thank ourselves.

I requested editing for 24 hours, as many of us make a few typos, and would like to correct ourselves. 24 hours is the limit on most boards on which I'm a member, and I think that's fair.

If you experience a true duplicate post (as many of us have, especially if we hit submit several times , and impatience wins, while waiting for our posts to appear...), or wish to delete your post in its entirety, please pm me or one of the other active mods. I, at least, don't look around for delete messages in the body of a post.

If your post has follow up replies, it becomes a tougher zone. My personal feeling is I shouldn't delete follow up comments without permission from all posters. So, if a post becomes a thread, deleting the starter post makes the comments confusing and irrelevant, I likely won't delete it.

Please bear in mind that moderators are volunteers, contributing for the love of camping. We are not always available immediately, as we are campers, too, and sometimes, at least in my case, out of touch for days at a time.

None of us receive compensation for our efforts. We love camping, love our Olivers, and do the best we can.

Thank you for your understanding.

Happy camping.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

As of a few hours ago, i believe canoe12 was correct.

Happy camping.

Sherry

Maybe there was a problem today sometime then because I've edited every post that I've ever made and have never not had a choice to edit, add, change pictures and so on after every post. So I circled the Edit/Reply/Quote for you in case you didn't see it the first time or... unless... my account is set up different then canoe12's.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

• Moderators

I don't honestly know, Reed, since I haven't logged into my alternate non mod test account in months. I know what I saw earlier this evening. Quote, thanks, reply, right after I posted my test post.

As of about an hour ago, with a new test, I got edit, quote, reply.

With which, I am happy.

I see a different screen under my mod account.

Happy camping.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And for those of you with privacy concerns, I cannot, as a mod see your password. That is protected. I couldn't even see my own on my secondary account. I still had to go through the forgotten password protocol even on my own account. That is the same . Even mods cannot read your password.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

So, a brief update. I contacted the admin, who said he built a generous 48 hour editing window into the perameters.

Doesn't explain why my first test post didn't show edit under my user only alternate profile... It works for me now. I did, however, build that user profile on the first day of the new board, and updated it last night after my first test. Perhaps that made a difference.

If the post you wish to edit is older than 48 hours, you will have to ask a mod to change it.

Canoe12, will you look for the edit button on your next new post, and let me know if you see it?

Thanks.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Test for Sherry

When you look at your post above right now, it should show you the changed top menu and it should say edit now on this post above. Is it working for you?

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null