Pickup loading ramps

topgun2

• Moderators

On another thread a discussion of loading ramps was started and I thought that I'd move it here.

A number of years ago I purchased a loading ramp called the "Safe-T-Ramp".  This ramp was designed and built by a couple of ex-rocket engineers in Huntsville, AL.  While not cheap (as compared to those two lane ramps) the Safe-T-Ramp is very safe and can be used for a number of things other than loading/unloading a motorcycle - think moving refrigerators, washers and dryers, etc.  It can be dropped straight to the ground (like other ramps) or be positioned straight out from the tailgate onto a deck or porch.  Given that it is as wide as the tailgate there is no fear of having to put a foot down half way up the ramp and realizing that there is no where to put that foot.  Either Google Safe-T-Ramp or go to:

http://cmc146.tripod.com/safetramp.htm

to see one of these puppies.  The only "problem" that I see is that the tailgate must be left in the lowered position in order to use the ramp.  I have used a receiver extension on a previous camper in order to use the ramp and tow the camper, but, I've not tried it with the Oliver (yet).

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

When considering taking the motorcycle with us one of Ann's demands, was that when loading and unloading, I didn't get stuck under the bike in a remote campsite. We are often in areas where there is no cell service and to have a mishap and be pinned under the motorcycle with no cell service, without use of the truck, etc. well you get the picture, would not be good. So our main concern was not money but rather Safety.

I bought ramps that are called "Big Boy Ramps" from Discount Ramps. They store next to the motorcycle in our Toyota Tundra, but do take up a lot of room, again Safety was our first concern. I will say they do provide a very comfortable loading and unloading operation.

IMG_5295.thumb.jpg.e3f7df3aa2e062cf4b33873991996c53.jpg

IMG_5298.thumb.jpg.c54c64ac1e1138e161735b493e78d491.jpg

IMG_5300.thumb.jpg.558448ad2d2c25507e6e8dbde92dadb9.jpg

IMG_5304.thumb.jpg.e4d903f99ad7bc4e4ecde15097e67ea8.jpg

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

Either Google Safe-T-Ramp or go to: http://cmc146.tripod.com/safetramp.htm to see one of these puppies. The only “problem” that I see is that the tailgate must be left in the lowered position in order to use the ramp. I have used a receiver extension on a previous camper in order to use the ramp and tow the camper, but, I’ve not tried it with the Oliver (yet). Bill

I bought ramps that are called “Big Boy Ramps” from Discount Ramps. They store next to the motorcycle in our Toyota Tundra, but do take up a lot of room, again Safety was our first concern. I will say they do provide a very comfortable loading and unloading operation.

Bill and Grayson,

We considered an ATC aluminum Toy Hauler before buying the Ollie. In the end our first priority was camping with the Ollie and second priority was taking a motorcycle while camping.

We have a Vstrom, but want to transport our smaller Honda CB500X on the 6.5' bed for two-up riding while camping. It's less than 450 pounds wet and should be able to close the tailgate with the CB loaded at 56" wheel base, axle to axle.

When I was a teenager, standing in a automobile pit next to a small HD leaning on handle bars while changing motor oil. Pulled too hard on the drain plug wrench and the bike came over on top of me in the pit. No one could hear me, but managed to get the 270 pound HD 250 Sprint up out of the pit off of me.  Safety lesson learned!

Will check out both ramps posted so far.

Thanks,

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

Bill, how do you like the CB500X? It looks like a great bike, that can do it all. Have fun out there.

Grayson,

It's a fine little bike that gets up to 70MPG & serves well for solo twisty and fire road riding (no single track). Had a SuperMoto that was a Hoot on twistys, but the CB is easier to stay out of trouble with. It has tubeless 120/70/17 & 160/60/17 tires, works better reducing air pressure for off pavement duty and pumping tires back up for the ride home.

Did not consider taking the CB camping until looking at the CB weight and how the CB would fit in the back of the Tundra.  It does not have much power for two-up duty, but probably will not ride more than 100 miles per day while camping and will have a better seat built, if needed.

Curious if you needed to install air bags or Timbren blocks on the rear differential when hauling the Strom while towing the Ollie?

You sit on the Strom while loading & unloading, I always walk beside the bike on a ramp and have not tried sitting on it, yet.

Thanks,

Bill #75 LE2

If considering loading ramps, besides safety, it is vital to consider the angle at which they will connect to the truck. If too steep, a heavy street bike may not have clearance to load or unload.  My ramps are rated at 1,000 pounds and work fine for a 4-wheeler or a dirt bike, but will not load my street bike without help from a hillside (to raise the low end of the ramp, reducing the angle and the top-thus increasing clearance.)  Backing the bike off onto a hillside is not an attractive option unless you can find a hill top to drop the ramp onto.  Makes them practically unusable for the HD street bike.

Notice how Grayson's ramps curve near the top.  Much better option than straight ramps.

• Thanks 2

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

I did not change the suspension on the Tundra at all. It seems to tow the Oliver and carry the bike without issue. When loaded the truck and trailer seem very level, at least visually.

The ramps that I got are almost overkill. It is very comfortable to load the bike seated and can stop midway, start again, backup, you name it even when wet. They provide excellent traction and are 12' long with a camber so you avoid hitting the underside of the bike at the apex ( as was mentioned). They can be purchased in different configurations for different applications. As I said before they were pricey but at my age and considering the places we sometimes end up, they were a worthwhile investment.

• Thanks 1

Grayson and Ann Cook

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

Notice how Grayson’s ramps curve near the top. Much better option than straight ramps.

Mike,

Good point! Will be sure the ramp is shaped like Grayson's!!! Will check to be sure the next bike purchase (FJ-09) will clear, too. Thanks!

I did not change the suspension on the Tundra at all. It seems to tow the Oliver and carry the bike without issue. When loaded the truck and trailer seem very level, at least visually. The ramps that I got are almost overkill. It is very comfortable to load the bike seated and can stop midway, start again, backup, you name it even when wet.

Grayson, Appreciate the information! Don't want to mod the the Tundra suspension, if not needed.  Sounds like 12' ramp is the way to go. We're retired and  age is always a consideration, so will be going with the overkill approach, too!   :)

Bill #75 LE2

If you get the ramps that I have you will not have any trouble with any bike you buy. I have owned many motorcycles and wouldn't have a problem loading anything that will fit in a pick-up.

• Thanks 2

Grayson and Ann Cook

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

If you get the ramps that I have you will not have any trouble with any bike you buy. I have owned many motorcycles and wouldn’t have a problem loading anything that will fit in a pick-up.

Grayson,

Will post photos of ramp while loading CB on the Tundra when I'm set up. Next, will need to take the rig somewhere camping in SC before spring!!!!!!

Thanks,

Here's the CB500X, you can also see the smoke from fires in Western NC when the photo was taken:

Bill #75 LE2

I saw some reviews of that bike and some performance videos on you tube. Looks like a perfect bike for easy loading, dirt and fire roads, short rides two up and as always Honda reliability. Have fun!!

• Thanks 1

Grayson and Ann Cook

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

• 2 months later...

Update:

Purchased a 10' x 38" all aluminum ramp for loading the CB500X in the Tundra bed when towing the Ollie. It breaks down to three ramps folded to 5' sections making it easy to set up and knock down. It also stores easily on both sides of the motorcycle in the pickup truck bed.  I can sit on the bike while loading and unloading able to put both feet on the ground/ramp at any time.

Called another ramp manufacturer and turned out they supplied these folks with the ramp I purchased. They told me about a the President's Day discount for the following ramp. Had the the ramp delivered to my home for less than $390. The aluminum weld quality is very good and the ramp is very sturdy (capacity 1500 pounds) with the bike & I weighing in close to 680 pounds.

Going to have a two-up seat built for the CB for local exploring while camping with the Ollie.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramps/p/MF-12038/

IMG_2227-M.jpg

IMG_2228-M.jpg

Bill #75 LE2