Ollie Owner's Connection!!! (Communications)

J-Rhett

Just a thought! We, Ollie Owners should find a spot online where we can post our email addresses and phone numbers can include Hull# and build date too,so we can readily communicate with each other. I admit that can be somewhat dangerous because someone could 'cause us heartaches and headaches if a person distributed our info to the wrong place. Ollie owners might want to elect a secretary too, so that person could keep the info safe. There is advantages and disadvantages to establish a club/brotherhood like this. But if I'm out in my drive and got poop running every where I want to call an Ollie owner for info. Probably a moderator or buzzy or someone who has an engineering degree! LOL Well, the factory people Anita and Heather, have all our emails and phone numbers I guess, of course, they can't release them. And we can communicate on here, but it's kind of limited, because some people rarely use this site, others are busy, some are computer-handicapped, and I've found this site down a couple of times for several hours. And sometimes it's easier to reach people by phone and persuade them to join a caravan to the next Oliver Rally! lol I forgot who it was, but they took a caravan to Mexico a couple of years ago and it was the best trip of their life! One can see we are not a trusting group as most of us use a FAKE name or handle. LOL. I don't blame anyone for that. I even use a fake name on Facebook. Anyway, just a thought! Who wants to be secretary, President? lol just saying!

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

I would like for our city and /or state to show up on our avatar. I asked Matt if this could be done (of course it can) and he said it would go on his, to do, list but that was many months ago. I know some may not want their information  listed, but if he made it a optional item, that would take care of those folks.

It's nice when reading someones post to see where they are from without looking up their profile.

Can I get any help on this issue?

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

As Columbo used to say, 'Just one more thing', ok, here goes. Canoe12 suggested he had a place for Oliver owners who venture to Maine a free place to stay. That's cool, LOL, I don't know how long one could stay there before he ran us off!!?? Anyway, I bet there are a lot more of us that have a free place to camp too. I have an empty lot one block from me in Decatur, IL that will hold several Olivers I think it's 100 X 300 and has several shade trees on it too. Free parking for Olivers and also have space by my house with another empty lot. So we should list parking spaces with the other personal info we want to list. Someone skilled at this type of secretarial work should make us something like most churches have an address book with names, address, phones, emails, free parking and to belong to our Oliver club you have to pay a certain fee, maybe $10 annually to get a new copy of the address/member book. That would probably cover the cost of the book and pay the secretary a slight fee of $100.00 to do the work. I don't know the fees or amount of time involved, just suggesting a way to make it convenient for us Oliver Owners. Some people would love to do this. Who are you secretary?

J-Rhett

• Moderators

Oh, I hate to be the guy who says , be cautious, but I must be here.

A secure website is so tough these days. Ya hoo has been hacked recently, as well as other major sites. And, we have all heard so many unfortunate stories, but I will add another. My cousin recently lost 2000$ plus to a phisher.

Please be cautious , and don't put your personal info out there in public view on any website or forum.

For that matter, you can easily create a secondary email for forum websites. Don't use the same forum name and password on all sites. It can be tracked. And for goodness sake, don't use the same password on every site, and especially not banking sites.

There's a reason for layers of privacy on forums. if you want to share private emaail or phone numbers, please do so through private messaging.

I know a lot of us think of the forum as our sandbox. But, the bots are constantly scanning forum posts ... Here and everywhere. your post is out there possibly forever, with bot scans and caches. Even if you later delete it.

Just my two cents, for what it is worth...

Please, in today's world, be cautious.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Stan, our city / state in the old forum showed up in the avatar space. for now,vyou can put that info in your signature. Go to your profile, click on the gear gizmo, and change your signature settings.

I miss that old feature, too.

I'll ask Matt about it.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

I owned BMW motorcycles for over 35 years and was a member of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America during this time.  Each year the "club" would send out a book (some 238 pages) which contained listings of all BMW dealers, club information, travel information, etc.).  As a member of the club one could chose to be listed (or not) and there were a number of "codes" that one could chose to be listed with their name and phone number.  Members were listed by state and then by city in that state.  Codes included things such as - camping or tent space, spare room, space available to work on motorcycle, working tools available, truck or trailer available, mechanical help, willingness to travel to help in emergency, etc.

With thousands of members and a full time office staff, this book was easier to assemble.  In addition, advertising was sold to help defray the costs of publishing.

From what I read above it appears to me that with our numbers approaching 200 or so, some of us are starting to want things of this sort (rallies, member info).  I don't think it is fair or wise to expect or want the factory to do this type of thing for us even though they already have much of the information needed to get it going.  We already have a few of us that are closely associated with the factory (I'm thinking the Forum moderators here and, perhaps, a couple of others) that could be the nucleus of our "club".  But, we need money and someone to take the "Oliver club by the hitch" in order to get it off the ground.  This would be a great topic for our rally in May.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Please read------Need more input please. Want to do this?

Good and interesting input and suggestions Bill. Yes, I'm sure some people would be interested in being our keeper of books. With all the technology we have today it shouldn't be too hard. I'm willing to send my info to an Oliver Secretary, just want it kept safe. We could actually do it on Facebook with a Group Members Only and YOU have to own an Oliver Travel Trailer or if not, you have to have an Oliver Owner vouch for your entrance to the group. Could fix and address book so it would arrange by Hull# or Last name of owner. I agree we don't need to try to put this on the Oliver Company as it would be somewhat time consuming. Yes, Moderators are the place to start, as I think they are long time campers and know lots of us. But I'm not sure any of them would want to spend the extra time it takes to develop what we are talking about. I'm going to hunt for a web site where we can enter our info for free. Yep, I found one I think would be great. It's called Keep & Share. Here is the site: https://www.keepandshare.com so please check it out and see if it will suffice. But since some people are not so computer literate I think the site should be run by a single group of people who have the time, inclination, and most of all the WANT to keep the address book. Would the four Moderators we have now want to take this on? I know Sherry (Seadawg) is very adept at using the computer! We can all send the person who accepts the JOB our info. The info we send could be, well, it's almost to long of list to put on here. Name, address, Hull#, Phone #'s, Emails, years camping, free space to camp, there is a large place for notes too. I think this site is pretty flexible. Also it has a premium site and I am going to check and see what that offers. Need more input please.

J-Rhett

OK, I found a better place I think suitable for our address book. It's called Rolosync and costs much less than keepandshare, but it is very limited in what we can do. One person can keep all the information, which is just addresses, phone numbers and emails, probably enough and this person can share with anyone. The person receiving the info can edit or not-edit according to the person sending. This is just $30 a year for the person keeping the book. Check it out here:https://www.rolosync.com/login.php Or we can do something else, just not have any addresses until you meet another Ollie person on the trail and get the info from them. That's cool too, but is very limiting to caravans and rallies and so on.

J-Rhett

Sherry, I share your concern about online security or the lack thereof. I use Dashlane, a service that generates very strong passwords. I also use two-factor authentication to sign into my Dashlane account. In addition to my username and Dashlane password, I have to enter a code that is generated randomly by an app on my iPhone or insert a USB authentication key into the USB port on my laptop. Dashlane is free, but you need to pay an annual fee to have what I consider to be necessary attributes. I have Dashlane installed on my laptop and mobile devices and it syncs across all those devices. I also change my banking password every week and other passwords every month or so. It's very easy to do with Dashlane. There are other online services like Dashlane. One is LastPass--I used this before Dashlane. I suppose nothing is absolutely foolproof, but Dashlane, two-factor authentication, and frequent changing of strong, randomly generated passwords gives me some peace of mind!

www.dashlane.com

www.yubico.com

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

We kept thinking about this and a locked up or closed group facebook page is a free start that people can't see into unless you're a member. If you don't use facebook now or don't want a ton of info set up for the public to see, then you can join fb with no pics, last names, or anything and still apply to join the group without listing any personal details under your name or whatever name that you choose to use. With facebook, you simply need an email address. But to join the Oliver Owners group, you will need to provide proof that you either own an Oliver or have a referral from another group member.  This way everything is kept private on a locked page that can't be seen by anyone other than the verified members.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/OllieOwners/

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II