Oliver Trailer Owners Only Facebook Group

KarenLukens

http://www.facebook.com/groups/OllieOwners/

For those that have requested a private Facebook group for Oliver Owners only, I have created one again. This will be exclusively for Oliver Travel Trailer Owners only. A group where we can share info, help each other, share our adventures, plan mini Oliver Travel Rallies etc...in a private setting.  If you would like to be included in this private group, please click on the link above and request to join. You will need to prove that you own an Oliver to be accepted as a member. I will send you a Facebook Message Request asking for your Hull# and Model. Check your message requests!

If you would like to be an admin or moderator, share in the responsibilities of running the group, be an official contributor, I would love the help. Just let me know.

Thank you,

Karen Lukens

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Hi,

It doesn't have to be a hull#, you are right, ours is under construction and I don't have one yet either. It's just a group for owners or almost owners like myself, so some sort of info is needed.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

How can you request folks have a hull #, and you don’t have one yourself?

Who, I don’t recall any, have requested a Facebook page to fill a need?

Canoe12 you can call the company and they will give you your Hull#. I called for mine which was #))) in middle of September. They will tell you what your number is. I just secreted my number as this is not a private site. lol. Have you joined our Facebook site yet? Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OllieOwners/

It's faster, more private, and easier to post from other sites. Thank you very much!

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

How can you request folks have a hull #, and you don’t have one yourself? Who, I don’t recall any, have requested a Facebook page to fill a need?

My wife answered above. A private page is what people are talking about on this thread to share our info, phone numbers, stories, etc. The page is private so no spammers or bots from outside can get in. It's a simple solution for owners that may go nowhere but it's up and running and we're not forcing anyone to join. People did ask Karen to restart her group, so we simply changed it up and made it private to fit in with others thinking along the lines of this thread :)

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

I agree with Buzzy that this forum was helpful to me when I was deciding on whether to buy an Ollie, and what options to include. I have also learned a great deal of useful information from this forum. I have posted on this forum when, despite my limited experience with trailering, I felt I had some knowledge or a web resource to contribute.

I hope your Facebook group is useful and enjoyable for you. However, I will not be joining that group. I do not use Facebook, and I do not plan to.

There was an earlier thread on this forum, http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/the-oliver-standard/ , where Facebook was discussed. A number of posters commented that they did not want to use Facebook, and preferred this forum, including Mike and Carol, Bill (topgun2), Horace and Diane (Maverick), and Jerry. On that same thread Sherry (SeaDawg) pointed out that Facebook is not searchable, whereas this forum can be searched. While I agree with John Davies' recent post http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/disc-brakes-2/#post-42291 that the search tools on this forum could be improved, at least there are search tools.

I understand Facebook is used by many people, and I hope that those of you that use it continue to enjoy it.

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I love both. This forum is fantastic and check it all the time, it's  extremely helpul.  I also love the social aspect of Facebook. To me both are great but very different and one doesnt replace the other.

Happy Camping,

null

Using Facebook to protect private info is a bit like hiring the fox to protect the henhouse, isn't it?

That aside, I have to agree with the above.  There have been a few trailer companies that I've been interested in, but the owners had pretty much sequestered themselves behind private websites.  It was a big turn off in general, but made it impossible as a prospective buyer to get opinions from owners.  One of the things that attracted me to Oliver in the first place was the openness of existing owners and their eagerness to share their experiences.  If a private forum exists, even as an option, it will always give the impression that there are things being said that current owners don't want potential owners to know about.  It also makes the owner group look cliquish and unfriendly.  And there's of course the risk of the owner community being split between the 'Facebook people' and 'forum people'.

I have  owned 2 Casita 17's.  The 2 user groups have been in existence for years and were valuable in researching their trailers.  I don't think either site is affiliated with  Casita Enterprises.  Is the goal -to have an owner driven site independent of Oliver? I would investigate their sites and not reinvent the wheel.

2 different forums for 2 different things, basically for me, Karen started the facebook forum so that we can share emails, phone #'s and set up places to meet with other owners while not having to worry about who is seeing my personal info. Would I put my email, phone # or personal address on this forum? No, it's public. The facebook forum is for meeting up, sharing, and emergencies, at least that's what I'm thinking anyway. Still on facebook nobody sees your info unless you friend them. To me this forum is the technical and learning all about Oliver and what it has to offer. Definitely this is a great forum on a national level. If you break down in my neck of the woods, I will be there and on the facebook forum, I have all of my info public and a map with us all marked for general locations is coming. Oliver owners are family and that's how I live life and why we have our info out there if you need it or need some immediate help :)  One is public, one is personal, is there a need for both? Only time will tell :)

Reed

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Just to be clear, a Facebook group is in no way in competition with the official Oliver Forums. This forum will always be the go to place for technical information, user exeperience, the efforts of the Harmon's, Buzzy and others, the latest news about Oliver. A social Facebook group does not compete with all of that.

A facebook group is a social experience where people with common interests gather in groups to socialize and share experiences. A closed group allows for conversations, picture sharing etc...in a bit more private setting since only members can see the posts.  Our Facebook group posts links to this very forum and the Oliver website too. There are Facebook groups that are Public, Closed  or Secret.  There is something for everyone. I run an art group for fans of my illustrations and hands down, 600 members prefer my group to be closed so they can share with a bit more privacy.

So, I don't get the objections or the assumption that a Facebook group is some how bad, trying to divide this forum or a threat to this awesome forum format.

Karen

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderators

Reed and Karen,

Thanks for your posts here, and for creating your private facebook page. I certainly don't see it as "competition" to the forum, in any way but competing for available time for me for social media.

I'm a mod here, and a member of several other forums and facebook groups, but this is where I devote the most time. I prefer to receive communication thru pm here, or messenger, not by phone or email, so I didn't add those to your group. Hope that's ok, and hope my post there was not misunderstood. If the forum goes down for repair, I see your private page as another way I can be contacted.

Wishing you both a happy new year with your new Oliver.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Leave me out of Facebook; there is too many security issues involved with it.  I have spend many decades in the IT and Telecommunications world and have cleaned up many issues with friends computers that have logged onto Facebook.

I have owned travel trailers for almost 50 years and have enjoyed the Forums associated with the trailer we owned at the time.  The Oliver Forum has it technical issues but for the most part it is a location to share information related to the Oliver Travel Trailer.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators

I think for FaceBook folks having a page to go to is a good thing and it's good to see someone take the initiative to get it going.  I see it as a compliment to these forums.  I'm not on FaceBook for a number of reasons and don't anticipate joining.  But for those who are I hope it works out as hoped!  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is some plagiarism going on. It seems that pictures and stories posted in the forum are showing up on a Facebook site. And I don't see that the original authors are being recognized for their contributions. The pictures may not be copyrighted, but it usually considered good manners to ask to use somebody else's work. It is not allowed in public schools, private schools, government , private businesses or most places we all associate with.  I enjoy reading the 108 pages of stories going back 8 years or so, but will have to restrain posting about things we learn from these and our pending new Oliver...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for a well stated reply. Guess we have to think of the good of the all, not the strange actions of a few. Guess I will turn my soap box into a table or something.

Going to pick up our new unit end of April, first of May. Hopefully we are going to time it so our 'shakedown cruise' through the Fall Hollow CG is successful. This should allow us to join up with the Oliver rally on the "Trace". We have not booked yet, but wondering where to travel/stop to make it to NH in time for the next weekend. (We think all Interstates all look a like)...

Hi Canoe12, I understand your concern. I am not a member of the Oliver Owner Only Facebook page, so I cannot comment on the specific issue at hand. Buzzy

I know canoe12 put it on our thread here but I don't think he's talking about the Oliver Owner Only Facebook page. He gave no specifics towards pages and if he's talking about the header pics we use, the way I look at it is, I really like to post peoples pics who are active on our page. It's a closed, locked group, not open to the public, so only members or Ollie Owners that have been approved, can even access the videos and files that everyone is in the process of putting together on there. What I'm trying to do myself is provide links to fix all problems in one spot. We also have set up an Amazon wish list for the owners that everyone can add to for the needed accessories.

So we have this forum, that is open to the public for all to see and then we started the locked down facebook forum and eventually it will have schematics of everything including the entire trailer hopefully. We pay good money for our trailers and it's nice to have all of the files for it in one easy to access place and that's my goal. Because it's a locked members only forum, there is no snooping or reading of any posts available to the public, so it's a place where we can all get as technical as possible without having to wonder if our information is being read by other manufacturers or whoever. Another way that I look at it is Oliver is only open during the day, so if there's a problem after hours that someone needs to get fixed right now, you can post it on the facebook page for quick help if needed.

If any Ollie Owner would like to see what we have accomplished so far, joining is simple -  https://www.facebook.com/groups/OllieOwners/

Happy Camping,

null