Fiamma Privacy Room

KarenLukens

I was looking through the Fiama accessories, then watched the video on this room... Pretty cool :)

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator+

Reed & Karen:  I hope you don't mind that I created a new thread for this and moved your post.

This

is what we have and it is made to fit the F45S awning that is installed on the Elite II. Setting it up takes about 15 minutes after you have done it the first time. There are a couple of accessories that have to be screwed into the awning and some assembling of other parts that only require being done once during the initial set up. The room's construction is top notch and it packs neatly away in its own (included) carrying case. It is heavy, weighing in at about 65 pounds. You do need to secure it to the ground in case of wind.

I've included some pics of our initial set up and a couple taken during a recent trip to Maine.

DSC_0266.thumb.jpg.f09e8340d65ddab07babfa4827c414b5.jpg

DSC_0267.thumb.jpg.bd5d8e0ada1a56ef46f0133cb4c8a969.jpg

Tali-01-IMG_2177.thumb.jpg.1ce4c2f51f853d96e82ec6017990ebb4.jpg

Tali-01-IMG_2180.thumb.jpg.ecc275d15313a05f54f68ddd936b6856.jpg

Tali-01-IMG_2186.thumb.jpg.6121442ac7559e262b06aa7dc2f4a150.jpg

DSC_0282.thumb.jpg.2c3f03b291e4ea0cf3ec06309413225d.jpg

Tali-01-IMG_2189.thumb.jpg.05a6c5f533238892d046ff285afb0a87.jpg

Steve-03-IMG_1451-1.thumb.jpg.c67a055fbdf1f6af60a555d6a8fa9e0a.jpg

Steve-03-IMG_1468.thumb.jpg.ad1d74ad930dad1329361d9cd7c2116e.jpg

DSC_0282-1.thumb.jpg.19723eafa8546be1c036aa5c5e497ad2.jpg

• Thanks 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks :) I don't mind you moving it :) I talked to Jason this morning and he is looking into ordering ours for us from them. I really like the way that they secure the sides with the clamps all the way down the canvas. We're getting the "Privacy Room", not the Ultra Lite - http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/fiammastore/winch_awnings_enclosures/privacy_room/

He's checking on prices and everything because we want the side supports and hold downs for wind. Then on the Fiama we had on our Casita, we put straps over the top and then put poles or in this video just a broom and our rake on top to help hold the canopy down in the high winds along with double anchored tie downs with paracord. Jason said there's only been one person that's had the canopy blow up and do any damage and I've had ours our in some serious winds. On the Casita you had to worry about it pulling right out of the fiberglass, tearing holes into the camper, but on the Oliver it's designed to break off the mounts... hopefully. Strapping it down is a big deal and the extra room really adds a lot of strength when you get it complete with the wind supports :)

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

ScubaRx... two questions...

Does that screen room have a panel that snaps to the camper? Most of them do. Most of the mosquitoes in Maine (and elsewhere) sneak into screen room from under the camper and then bite you in the ankles. If there is a way in they will find it.

By the looks of the gravel pad and the thinning Spruce you must have been in northern Maine.  Maybe the Allagash or Arcadia?

By

• Moderator+
ScubaRx… two questions… Does that screen room have a panel that snaps to the camper? Most of them do. Most of the mosquitoes in Maine (and elsewhere) sneak into screen room from under the camper and then bite you in the ankles. If there is a way in they will find it. By the looks of the gravel pad and the thinning Spruce you must have been in northern Maine. Maybe the Allagash or Arcadia? By

The Fiamma Privacy Room does not come with a skirt.  Fiamma makes several different ones but we are making our own to get a better fit.  Otherwise it is surprisingly tight.  Another issue concerns the poles that go up against the side of the trailer.  Since the sides of the Oliver are curved rather that vertical and flat, you need to drill an extra hole in the bottom of the rafter to accommodate the pin at the top of the pole.

We were on Schoodic Peninsula in Acadia National Park.  The NPS has built a new camping area there that is only about one year old.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

we are making our own to get a better fit. Otherwise it is surprisingly tight. Another issue concerns the poles that go up against the side of the trailer. Since the sides of the Oliver are curved rather that vertical and flat, you need to drill an extra hole in the bottom of the rafter to accommodate the pin at the top of the pole.

We will definitely be interested in seeing how you make your skirting. My first thought was to use white velcro under the bottom lip out of sight under the door all the way down but then it would need a second piece to cover it while driving.

Happy Camping,

null

Was that Schoodic Woods in Acadia?

Will have to look at our unit when it comes to placing the skirt. Maybe some way on this unit to hang from inside. That way we could take advantage of the lightning. How long do you stay at a place before you consider putting the room on? Or does it depend on location? Thanks...

I'm guessing command hooks and the thick white or even clear shower curtains would be the simplest for going down the one side. I looked online a bit and saw cut tarps mostly, which is what I used in the past. Thick shower curtain could be rolled up or folded and stored easily in the basement and being that it's already a 4 season, for the temps that we will be in, going around the entire bottom during winter really isn't needed. Camping World sells skirting also but... Basically we just need something that will hold the heat inside the room during winter and our Big Buddy will burn us out of there anyway if needed and I can hook it to one of the external propane ports with the 10'hose. 

Happy Camping,

null

ScubaRX ..did I see this unit parked at the "mothership" a few weeks back? Reason I ask, I saw one there with a marine search light mounted on the back. Seems like with a remote control you could light up 270 degrees (unless it was higher than the AC). Nice idea in a remote or (spooky) place. Also like the name on the back on another unit - "Past Tents"...

Has Jason gotten back to you about pricing? Something I’d be interested in. Thanks for the post.

He sent us an email saying that their purchasing agent is looking into it still. I will post it when it comes in :)

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderator+
ScubaRX ..did I see this unit parked at the “mothership” a few weeks back? Reason I ask, I saw one there with a marine search light mounted on the back. Seems like with a remote control you could light up 270 degrees (unless it was higher than the AC). Nice idea in a remote or (spooky) place. Also like the name on the back on another unit – “Past Tents”…

The Outlaw Oliver was there a couple of weeks ago and I saw that trailer.  Past Tents was there at that time also.  After I mounted the Golight atop our trailer a couple of years ago there were several owners that saw it and at least one apparently duplicated my effort.

• Thanks 1

The spotlight I saw had a heavy aluminum triangle shaped plate with near the base. Could not figure out how that was used or needed. Like the search light aspect though. We have installed and used on boats over the years, and they have proven invaluable. With the new LED ones they must be special. Now maybe we have to look for motion/heat activated lights for the sides...

• Moderator+
The spotlight I saw had a heavy aluminum triangle shaped plate with near the base. Could not figure out how that was used or needed. Like the search light aspect though. We have installed and used on boats over the years, and they have proven invaluable. With the new LED ones they must be special. Now maybe we have to look for motion/heat activated lights for the sides…

I have been asked several times about the configuration of the mast that the Golight is mounted on so so here's the skinny on it.

The one you saw on the other trailer was a duplicate of the one on The Outlaw Oliver. It was made at Oliver from 1/2" aluminum plate.

I originally bought and installed an adjustable mount that was made for the Golight. It proved to be flimsy and I figured it would eventually break so I ditched it and designed my own. I made the mast at a swept-forward angle simply because I thought it looked better than being placed in a straight up vertical position. The one that was copied was placed vertically. The wings are there as attachment points for two antennas that send data to an on board GPS tracking/locating system.

DSC_0656-2.thumb.jpg.cef25bce7d1c83d93d642b0ef7ee5fef.jpg

[attachment file=DSC_0911.JPG]

[attachment file=DSC_0050.JPG]

DSC_0911.thumb.jpg.1d38cb333f85e43cf13645e4f542a8ee.jpg

DSC_0050.thumb.jpg.a3cfea9a0d16683ebc2b52b47cd11ba6.jpg

• Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
Has Jason gotten back to you about pricing? Something I’d be interested in. Thanks for the post.

They finally got back to Jason today and he found out for sure that the Privacy Room is what they sell for our trailers, but he's still waiting for a price :)

Happy Camping,

null

Nice looking mount. If assembled by the same person that does the trailer frame a "Well Done". I looked at the frame welds at the factory and the one(s) that do them have real talent welding aluminum. Can you control the light from inside the tow vehicle? Does the cam need or appreciate the extra light? The GPS on the Outlaw is for tracking, if someone "borrows" it? Sorry about the questions, but intrigued by the unit...

• Moderator+
Nice looking mount. If assembled by the same person that does the trailer frame a “Well Done”. I looked at the frame welds at the factory and the one(s) that do them have real talent welding aluminum. Can you control the light from inside the tow vehicle? Does the cam need or appreciate the extra light? The GPS on the Outlaw is for tracking, if someone “borrows” it? Sorry about the questions, but intrigued by the unit…

That Golight base and mast seen in my preceding post was conceived, constructed and mounted entirely by myself. I built it from aluminum and designed it to hold the light and the two antennas for the GPS tracking system. The light has a hand held remote control and can be operated from within the trailer or up to about 100 feet away. If the monitor for the rear view camera is brought into the trailer at night the light will help seeing things that are to the rear of the trailer.  However, the camera does have IR LED's, so it can "see" in the dark.  Among its many talents, the GPS tracking system is indeed for finding any "unauthorized users."

I started to look at the privacy room and decided against it. While the quality seemed to be pretty good from what I could glean on YouTube, when I camp I am outside nearly all day with the exception of bedtime. If there is really inclement weather, that is the time I hunker down with a good book and enjoy the comfort of the Oliver. So I thought I would never really get the use out of the privacy room to justify the cost.

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Pricey, but then everything trailer related seems to be.

We're considering it.  Buzzy, did you ask about the privacy room light and whether there's much of a price difference between the two?  The 'magic' pieces are the horizontal aluminum support rods that clamp onto the awning poles, correct?

Just as a side note, you can make your own side awning poles out of telescoping paint poles. I think that the friction style shower rods will work also. I have them both in the Oliver Amazon wish / accessories list - https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/DVETVI1ZF5E8/ref=nav_wishlist_lists_2

Happy Camping,

null

I really appreciate the info, Buzzy.

The privacy room for us would mainly be used as a wind break.  I don't know why, but bad weather follows us like a lost puppy.  Inevitably, when we camp, it will be 40° and rainy with a 30mph wind.  In fact, the primary motivation for our Oliver is so I can eat my eggs in the morning without worrying about my fork freezing to the plate.  Then again, maybe we should just avoid Big Bend in December.

Cooking outdoors in the wind is no fun, and I plan to resist giving in to nature and hunkering down in the Ollie as much as I can.  So, a wind break of some sort is imperative.  And then there's the issue of protecting the awning itself and not wanting to reel it in every time the wind picks up - I think the privacy room would go far in that respect.  When it comes to wind, I've learned my lesson the hard way  - you can always spot my tent at a campground because it's the one that looks like it's been trapped in a spiderweb of tie downs.  So at a minimum, we'll order at least one of the side panels and also get really good tie downs, if not from Fiamma then elsewhere.

Of course, when a single gust of wind could lead to a multi-thousand dollar repair bill, we'll probably make more conservative decisions with the awning than we do with our current tent and canopy.

I think this is probably our wish list - who knows if we'll end up with any of it:

Privacy Room Light (400?  I don't see that they have a 450 for the Light version)

Tie Downs

Rafter Pro - it looks like you can install multiple rafters if you want

Magic! Poles - door pole, font and side magic poles

Rain Caps

MegaBag

Repair Kit

Also, the Blocker or Blocker Pro might be good options if you don't go with the full kit.

They have some lighting options, but I don't know if those are necessary with the Ollie's outdoor lights, maybe supplemented with some string lights.

Their Skirting Kit looks nice if you can make it work with the Ollie.  I think it would be nice if Oliver could provide some snaps or something to attach a skirt, though perhaps that's easily added after the fact.

The three issues with the privacy room are price, storage, and time to put up and take down.  Hopefully, it packs up fairly compactly.  The set up and take down time will probably limit its use for us to multi-day stays, probably three days would be the minimum cutoff for us.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the great info guys :) Basically I'm thinking of a living room, we have an outdoor carpet, tarp, chairs, tables and a heater. I have a screen tent and a Dining tent but the difference between this and a Clam or whatever is this will be a added room connected to the trailer. You come out the door of Olli into your living room. We do a lot of camping and have some really nice living conditions set up when at our mining claim. But this would be an extra room for those rainy days. It's going to be an aftermarket purchase either way because in our Casita we put a queen size mattress in and left it up full time. In a couple weeks we will be finding out if the bed is comfortable enough for us as is; but if not, we still have a complete bed and shelving set up to put into the Olli if we decide to go that route. If we do, then a huge living room connected to the trailer would be worth the extra money to us. The thing is, I can buy the canvas and make our own as well but it won't look as nice and that's why we're leaning towards the Fiamma.

Happy Camping,

null