TRAVELING WITH A BANDIT ?

mountainborn

• Moderators

I too have a Bandit in my collection and it has been a number of times with great success.  However, be aware that in some places the use of the Bandit is specifically prohibited.  Best to read all the signs near the water station prior to use.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Larry,

Excuse my ignorance, but how is this thing used? Are you pushing the unthreaded end up into the faucet? Looks like something I need to add to my tool bag.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators
Larry, Excuse my ignorance, but how is this thing used? Are you pushing the unthreaded end up into the faucet? Looks like something I need to add to my tool bag. Stan

Yes, you have it ! It is a friction fit, though as they age and wear, they can leak a little. I have seen them with a automotive hose clamp on them to make for a tighter fit. New ones seal quite well though.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

I can see using one of these. Wonder why they might be banned in some places, for what ever reasons? Maybe they are worried about cross contamination? Guess we will get one. We will decontaminate same as we do with our fresh water hose a couple of times a year. (5% Clorox to some water and wipe down and fill for at least five minutes. And then flush with fresh water for 5 minutes). We will store the unit in a sandwich bag. We always screw the ends of the hose together so that creatures large and small don't crawl in when stored...

• Moderator+

I usually put my fist around it at the faucet as it tends to blow off if there's any resistance at the other end (like the in-line pressure regulator in the fill line.)  If you are only filling a container you are probably good to go.  You will also find one of these useful at those dump stations that don't have a threaded end on their flush line.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

From what I've been told, cross contamination is one reason, but, more often it is to reduce consumption in places where water resources are not plentiful.  The only places that I've run into the prohibition of the Bandit is in National Forest camp grounds west of Dubois, WY.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

A short piece of 1" Clearflo pvc poly tubing works great on those faucets also. I have a few pieces of different lengths for filling my 8 gallon portable water tank. You usually need a piece 16" - 18" long for National Parks and then one 24" long for different state parks that have different height requirements on their faucets. The 1" ID clearfo is certified "food grade" and what I use for these push valve faucets myself. Maybe the Bandit isn't truly considered food grade because of the rings inside of it that could hold onto bacteria? I looked online and found that it is used in a lot of places and recommended for RV use but I couldn't find anywhere that it was certified "food grade" like the Bibb Faucet is.

https://www.hawsco.com/slf-clsg-bib-fct-brs-lf/

Clearflo.jpg.6c770c150ea19cac1e42318e1a784e7f.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

I can only recall a couple of Oliver's that can water fill using gravity flow. Some folks have thought they would like to have the option but I don't know if it was ever installed. Here is simple pump I put together and run from a battery jump start pack. I know of several owners that have put together similar set ups. Some of those pumps run from power supplied by the rear bumper of the tow vehicle's 7 way plug outlet.

• Thanks 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Great idea about the pump fed from the tow vehicle. A tank could be put in the back of the TV and then driven to the trailer. Then hooked to the Oliver for filling. No lifting of any sort required. Easy on the knees and back.

We have made a small trailer that has a tank and pump salvaged from an old RV. We tow it with a Gator to water the garden and flowers. Was thinking at a boondocking rally it could be towed to fill anyone that might need water by a golf cart. Would just need somebody with a "Honey Wagon", to backfill the dump station...

• Moderators
Great idea about the pump fed from the tow vehicle. A tank could be put in the back of the TV and then driven to the trailer. Then hooked to the Oliver for filling. No lifting of any sort required. Easy on the knees and back. We have made a small trailer that has a tank and pump salvaged from an old RV. We tow it with a Gator to water the garden and flowers. Was thinking at a boondocking rally it could be towed to fill anyone that might need water by a golf cart. Would just need somebody with a “Honey Wagon”, to backfill the dump station…

That is the way we do it at our favorite close to home, boondocking site. We have a water tank, pump and fresh water hose on the trailer. We also carry a "blue boy" 35 gallon black water caddy on wheels that can roll up the trailer's loading ramp. We will go to town every week or two to dump black water, sanitize the tank, and bring fresh water back to camp, during a grocery run. The lawn mower loading ramp at the back of the trailer lets us load a small chest type deep freeze and a dormitory size refrigerator on those times that we are with a large group. As gallons of frozen distilled water are taken from the freezer to a ice chest to keep things cool and then can be used as potable water later, the freezer space is filled with fresh caught fish to freeze for later use. Our rough old utility trailer comes in handy when we are not too far from our home base docking port. Here is a look at that old trailer:

m3yp0sox1pkggy09uaatw3zlu620yp9b.jpg.e5c806043d41f29296c51621bcd534f9.jpg

You might note the blueboy tank nearby. We use a miracle grow sprayer hose attachment and diluted Clorox to sanitize the tank and trailer at the dump station

• Moderator+
...Here is a look at that old trailer...

That ole thing just gets better looking with age.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We know about the "blueboy". We will use it at home after we put in our "dump station". We are going to put a wye, pipe, and threaded cap onto the line leading to the septic system. Then we will use the blue tank (we call ours the 'Stool Bus') to transport the material, as where we set our trailers are down the hill and not able to get near the tank because of trees and rocks..