Kitchen wall/ splash guard pics please

John E Davies

Can someone post pics of the optional $250 wall/ barrier/ separator/ splash guard .... whatever you call it. It goes to the rear of the cooktop, correct?

What is it made of, and are there color choices?

It sounds  like a good idea, to stop a nasty spill if a pot boils over, or to reduce grease splatter onto the bedding... can we hear from owners who have it? Good or bad?

Ta.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I'm designing a stainless countertop to go right over the standard fiberglass countertop.  This will have a backsplash and a turn-down in front.   It will make the surface much more durable and heat resistant.  And it should be lighter than the optional Oliver faux granite top.

Once I get it drawn up I'll post the dimensions and the installed photos, but it will be a while yet as it's not at the top of the list.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

John – Try doing a “search” for “kitchen divider”. I think this will show you pictures of what you are seeking. Bill

That worked, thanks. The Search function here is useless unless you know the exact term used.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I’m designing a stainless countertop to go right over the standard fiberglass countertop. This will have a backsplash and a turn-down in front. It will make the surface much more durable and heat resistant. And it should be lighter than the optional Oliver faux granite top.  

I have samples of the faux granite that Anita sent me, and they are made with a solid fiberglass/ gelcoat top and honeycomb underneath. They replace the standard white top, they are not an additional overlay.

And they are very light. My sample is 7/16 inch thick, of which 5/16 inch is honeycomb, basically air. It is 2 x 2.5 inches and it weighs right at 1.0 ounce using two different digital scales.

That is 5 square inches, so the weight is 0.2 oz per sq in.

I don't know what gauge of stainless you plan to use, let's say 18 gauge (0.048") so it isn't too prone to dents if you drop a heavy pan. ... http://www.chathamsteel.com/products/stainless/stainless-sheet/

That weighs 2.016 lbs per sq ft:

2.016 lb per sq ft / 144 sq inch per sq ft = 0.014 lb per sq in

0.014 lb per sq in x 16 oz per lb = 0.224 oz per sq in

That is pretty much the same as the faux granite, but you are going to lay it on top of the existing white composite, so you are essentially ending up with twice the weight of the faux granite.

If you choose 24 gauge the sheet will be half the weight of the 18 gauge, so your countertop will weigh 50% more than the bare one.

I think you will end up with a very cool counter but it isn't going to save any weight. You can easily measure all the horizontal surfaces and calculate how much weight the entire project will add. You will save a ton of money tho, if you don't count your own labor costs, since the faux granite is an $1800 option..... Please post pics when you are done. I think it will look nifty.

PS I have probably screwed up the math somewhere, please let me know.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

What are you planning for the counter top and backsplash given that the granite one is built in and not an overlay?

Weight is not the biggest consideration for me and the difference is unimportant between fiber and stainless.  Durability and usefulness seem way better with stainless than with the standard white fiberglass surface.  Interesting that that faux granite top is not added on, but built in as part of the cabinet.  Either way, it just doesn't appeal to me.

The weather is cold and Ollie is stored in the garage for the winter.  I'm still working and have little time for the mods I want to do by summer.  Those include:  re-mount the TV in the center with a different bracket, as has been discussed here, install the heavy duty shackle kit with greaseable bearings (not the EZ Flex), make a modification to the rear bumper and set up a simple solar system.  I recently installed 30 lb propane bottles and a quick disconnect for the outdoor stove.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderators

John,

You're welcome.  I cheated a bit in that I remembered seeing something about this on the Forum before.  And, I've seen the interior of Steve and Tali's Oliver.

Happy New Year to all!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+

John (Davies), the photos of the "kitchen divider"  are from our trailer.  I requested this during our initial build back in late 2013 and my original intent was for me to have a backstop that I could put a  pillow on and lean back against while watching television. It quickly proved itself as a viable and valuable guard against spills and or splatters from the cooking area.  In our trailer the divider is made from a material that looks like the same thing as a thick cutting board would be constructed from.  It is about three fourths of an inch thick and is somewhat translucent.  If you have any other questions concerning this addition to our trailer please feel free to ask. I will be happy to take and post additional photos if someone desires.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
...What are you planning for the counter top and backsplash given that the granite one is built in and not an overlay?...

John (Raspy)  The process for installing the fiber granite countertops that Oliver  offers as an option consists of  physically cutting off the original white molded-in fiberglass countertop and applying the pre-molded fiber granite in the color that you have ordered over the resulting hole.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

The faux granite looked like an overlay to me. It is a separate piece built up for the side table. The pieces in front of the microwave and pantry cabinets are held on with Velcro and pull right off. The main counter looks like it fits in the front grove of the standard base, and my guess is that the sink, stove, and made up backslashes hold the unit on. If you have the SS sink in your counter it should be easy to cover the counter. If not, a bar sink could replace a fiberglass one...

on