Ladder?

John E Davies

What ladder do you carry and where/ how do you store it in the trailer? I like this one but at 73 inches long, is it too long for the rear compartment? It does seem a little rickety and I don't like unstable ladders!

RV ladder

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PNMMOC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1X5H11EH41351&coliid=I2784OKRLW5P9T

What folding ladder fits in the front of the closet? I saw one in a video.

I don't want to carry it inside my truck, it needs to be compact and out of the way in the trailer. Also I would like it to be sturdy and stable enough to use on uneven gravel or firm dirt to cut low hanging branches on remote forest roads, using a small chain saw or hand trimmer, so the branches don't whack all that costly stuff on the roof.

Maybe I should just get a stout Werner 6 footer from Home Depot and strap it to the rack on my truck canopy..... alongside my canoe, but there is not much extra room there....

How about an orchard (three leg) type? This one is way over the top but I expect it would work well, if you could figure out storage....

Orchard ladder

I am dazed and confused. Thanks for any comments.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The ladder in the video is telesteps, I purchased the same one HERE, and keep it in the same spot in the closet. While these are certainly not the least expensive ladder you could buy, they work perfectly for accessing anything on the roof, I've repaired my Mach 8 from it and cleaned the MaxxAir along with washing the entire roof by hand. I'm 6 foot tall.

As for pruning trees, I have used it around the house for that purpose, when I could brace it against a branch to wouldn't sway too much, I do not use a chain saw though, I use THESE which I've cut through branches about the size of my wrist, without problem.

Otherwise, if you search Amazon for telesteps you'll see they also have a quasi step ladder which may still fit in the closet.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

There's a bunch in the Amazon Oliver wish list we have in the files on the facebook site along with lots of other things. This is just an Amazon wish list link. Some of these ladders go up to 350lbs weight, so If you're carrying something... Check it out, It's a full time list for everyone that anyone can add too and a lot of people have contributed to it over the years. We have a lot more to put on it like the collapsible rake, broom, etc... but it will get finished eventually - Thanks go to Randy - for the new ladder addition :) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/DVETVI1ZF5E8/ref=nav_wishlist_lists_2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Thanks for the comments.

I really like this version .... I don't like buying cheap ladders. I do not trust them at all

https://smile.amazon.com/Telesteps-612TC-Compliant-Extension-Telescoping/dp/B00CF2O3GS/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

I like that it can be used in two modes.

I had a weird old aluminum folding ladder that I inherited from my Dad. It was a disaster and and the joint latches liked to eat fingers, so I gave it away. Are the Telesteps more user friendly?

Do they require padding to protect the side of the trailer? What do you use? Maybe an old beach towel folded a few times?

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I agree on the purchasing decision reasoning, some people balk at the price of some things though.

I have an awning on both sides and always situate the ladder so that it is against the awning where it mounts to the trailer, so I'm never actually against the trailer. Once when doing extended work I draped my heavy shirt over it as I was causing a bit of movement. 12" section of pool noodle on either side should work well too.

Yes, the beach towel would be perfect, I only have the straight ladder so I can't answer how finger friendly the folding mechanism is.

I will say, when closing the ladder, do so upside down, this way you can close it one section at a time, if done right side up it will close extremely quickly gravity fed.

When opening it from the bottom first, you only need open the sections you want, so it can be a 3 foot ladder if need be.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Thanks for the comments. I really like this version …. I don’t like buying cheap ladders. I do not trust them at all. What do you use? Maybe an old beach towel folded a few times? Thanks, John Davies Spokane WA

We don't use towels, we use the outdoor throw rugs over them when we put them inside the front door. You should look at how often are you going to be using it on the road and why? Basically to me, having an emergency ladder in the closet like Randy's is a good idea and if I never have to use it, then that's fine because it's an emergency ladder and stowed away there out of sight for the day that I might need it. Our stool fits in front of the door and if I really need to get up on top while on the road, it works fine. I put the chairs and the stool into the trailer last in front of the door in the isle with the rugs over them and they are the first things to come out when we get to our next camping spot. Karen uses it a lot to put stickers and decals on to decorate for different holidays. Then at home I have this 10' 1AA step ladder that I use for everything.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005JRK9/ref=twister_B002JIMBYO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I can set it up next to the gutter on most single story houses and because it's a folding step ladder, it never needs to touch the house or trailer. Being that it's 10' tall, it's long enough to be able to still hold onto - when stepping off onto a normal 8' roof. So I'm not taking a ladder with me that I plan on using all of the time. If I know that I'm going to be working somewhere else on the roof, I just strap it on and go. If you want a good quality ladder with your trailer, why not just buy a good Little Giant 12' ladder and then put a ladder rack on top of the Ollie for it? It would fit fine behind the awning or just inside the front door.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

If you want a good quality ladder with your trailer, why not just buy a good Little Giant 12′ ladder and then put a ladder rack on top of the Ollie for it? It would fit fine behind the awning or just inside the front door. Reed

Wow, why have I never seen this ladder before? It looks amazing! I don't see how it could fit up top of an Ollie with solar panels. It is rather bulky. Did you mean to carry it loose inside the entry area, or stowed inside the closet? I don't think it would fit there.

I would love one for my home to replace my POS 24 ft conventional aluminum extension ladder, AKA "Killer", for outdoor use. Maybe I will ask for one next Christmas. I already have a couple of the wonderful fiberglass Werner Podium ladders, a 10 ft and 16 ft reach. They are stable as can be and extremely comfy for prolonged work like painting, but they are heavy and take up a heck of a lot of garage space and are not at all versatile like the Little Giant.

John Davies

Spokane WA

No I mean stretch it out, fold it in half or all the way down and put it up on the roof. This one below, it's a little giant style, they sell the Little Giant brand all over my area, but this is the right size and I'm sure there's a container you could buy to put it in, if needed. There's a lot of room up top and if there's a will, there's a way, you know :) . It would fit folded up on the tongue in the generator box, or you should be able to strap it on the rear bumper or even put a rack on the frame underneath. If you fold it in half, it's 6'approximately, you could even put a slide in rack in front of the tires behind the door and it would still be about even with the steps for clearance. :) hehe.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VMXV10C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DVETVI1ZF5E8&coliid=I31X7LS4KLFWZG

Happy Camping,

null

I saw the ladder that Randy has. Saw him operate and store it. Was so impressed that we ordered one. It collapses so small that it fits in the back of the closet. They do offer a foam cap for the top and a bag to store it in, but we elected not to get. A shirt over he top will work if we need it. One caution: watch how you collapse it. It will pinch, but my guess only once. Like they say in here, "don't ask me how I know that".

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

We have a little guy at home, but don't carry this great ladder on the road. We carry just a small folding three step ladder... Helpful for reaching items in the truck bed, or cleaning windows.

Steve (scubarx/outlaw Oliver) has a great telescoping ladder he carries in the closet. Maybe he'll chime in.

We've always been able to borrow a taller ladder if we needed it... Which was once, I think.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.