Where are you going in 2017?

Mike and Carol

• Moderators

We've been thinking about and planning trips for 2017.  It might be interesting to see where fellow Oliver owners are thinking about going in the months ahead.  Might be some chances to cross paths.  Here's what we're thinking...

Jan - weather permitting we're going to Carlsbad NP and Guadalupe Mountains NP.  Then, we'll head to southern AZ.

Feb - will try to make it to the Quartzsite Gathering in AZ then on to Joshua Tree NP.

Mar - not sure

Apr - The Bluebonnet rally  in Bandera TX is the end of the month and is less than an hour away.  Then on to....

May - Oliver Rally.  Then, we're looking at heading to Asheville, NC and then back to TX via state parks in north GA, AL, MS and AR.

Summer - local trips.

Fall - we'd like to do all the great sites in Utah.  We'd also like to do the Oregon and Washington coasts.

Where's everyone going in 2017?

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Depending on the timing of our delivery, we hope to do an end of May trip out to California to Redwoods and Sequoia.  If the timing works, we might stop a few days at Overland Expo on the way.  It's possible, too, that we could make the rally in May, but there'd have to be no construction delays for us to take delivery that weekend or before.

Late August, I've reserved a spot at Land Between the Lakes for the eclipse.  It was a bit too late to reserve anything directly on the path, so we'll make a day trip from LBL up to the Carbondale area, which should be ground zero.  August in TN should make for a good test of our AC unit.

December, we plan to use the Ollie for a ski trip to Utah - there's a nice campsite north of Park City that was recommended to us.  That will be our winter weather test.  It hit 0° on our trip this year.

Other than that, who knows?  We'll be eager to go out as much as possible, but we're limited to vacation time for the next 15-20 years unfortunately.  We'll use those years to get the Ollie broken in before we really start using it.

We should have a completed unit a week before the Rally. We will do a shake down, hopefully the Rally (all booked) and then wander where the wind may blow. Think we will the drift towards New England. Something about the Spring there as the world reawakens from Winter...

• Moderator+

Jan-Mar – Leaving for the Southwest via the Southern route along I-10 then onto the Quartzsite Gathering in AZ probably returning home by early March

Apr-July – Leaving for the Southern Utah Tour sometime around the second week.  After the SUT we will head North to Idaho for a wedding at the end of May.  From there we will go into Washington, Oregon and Northern California before heading home around the first of July.

Summer in the balmy South!!!!

Fall - We should all get together, who wants to plan a trip?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
 Leaving for the Southern Utah Tour sometime around the second week.

This sounds like fun.  Will be interested to hear how it goes.

Late August, I’ve reserved a spot at Land Between the Lakes for the eclipse.

We stayed at Hillman Ferry Park at Land Between the Lakes.  Great place.

Fall – We should all get together, who wants to plan a trip?

A fall meet somewhere?

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We are planning on touring Utah and Arizona during the summer months; have not made any reservations yet.  It has been several years since we have been in this area but we are looking forward to a return trip.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

We live in Makanda just south of Carbondale IL and directly on the eclipse (Aug. 2017) path.  If you still want to stay in this area "Overland" you might want to check with Blue Sky Winery and Vineyard in Makanda, they were supposedly opening up some area on the vineyard for RVs for the event.  If you decide to keep your reservations at LBL and are looking for somewhere to view the eclipse a lot of the wineries in the area are holding events that day.  You can check the website of the Shawnee Hills Wine Trail for more information.  Southern Illinois University in Carbondale will also be holding some viewing events that day.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

We are planning a trip to Merlefest in North Carolina the end of April, hoping to go to the rally in May, spending the month of July in southern Michigan in Buchanon at Fuller Campground on Clear Lake and haven't made fall plans yet.  Also planning to do a lot of weekend camping in parks in southern Illinois and the Kentucky Land between the Lakes area.

• Administrators

I'd love to find time to add a trip planner to our website and possible a mobile app, but pretty swamped at the moment.

The one at Recreation.gov is pretty good. I can actually use their database, but would like to add custom info for rallies and other things. From just a quick glance at the website, it seems there are a lot of missing campsites on there. I'd want to add known public boondocking sites also.

Check it out here... https://www.recreation.gov

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

We live in Makanda just south of Carbondale IL and directly on the eclipse (Aug. 2017) path. If you still want to stay in this area “Overland” you might want to check with Blue Sky Winery and Vineyard in Makanda, they were supposedly opening up some area on the vineyard for RVs for the event. If you decide to keep your reservations at LBL and are looking for somewhere to view the eclipse a lot of the wineries in the area are holding events that day. You can check the website of the Shawnee Hills Wine Trail for more information. Southern Illinois University in Carbondale will also be holding some viewing events that day. Let me know if you have any other questions! We are planning a trip to Merlefest in North Carolina the end of April, hoping to go to the rally in May, spending the month of July in southern Michigan in Buchanon at Fuller Campground on Clear Lake and haven’t made fall plans yet. Also planning to do a lot of weekend camping in parks in southern Illinois and the Kentucky Land between the Lakes area.

That's a great tip - I'll have to look into Blue Sky.  Thanks!

We have reservations for the Rally in May and the Eclipse (Land Between the Lakes) in August.  Other than that, who knows?

We leave tomorrow to tour and visit South LA and South TX.  Probably three to four weeks of travel and camping...but no real firm destinations in mind.

Other than that, we have loosely planned a NorthWest Adventure in late Spring or Early Summer.  We'll try to hit all those areas that we have never visited including the Dakotas, Montana, Washington, and Oregan. I have laid out a tentative route...but we'll basically drift around. Likely close the trip in Colorado (Denver/Breck) area before returning home.

No idea about Fall as yet.  I smell a gathering of fiberglass somewhere fun.

So many places I want to go...can't do it all this year.  Quebec is on our list. Alaska is sort of on mine, but I need more experience.  I am intimidated by the long trip and remote areas.  Maybe next year?

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

• Moderators

We're still mulling some ideas and options. Other than our four winter days here lately, it's just been too nice to think about leaving Florida.

We may go to Alaska again in may and June. Three years in a row... But if we do, we will take another different route in the US part.

Of course, several weeks in NC, our favorite.

October will find us in beautiful western New York for a wedding. Might think about going north into Quebec and New Brunswick before then. We'd like to run along the north side of the St Lawrence this time... But many campgrounds close up there mid September.and the Catskills and Adirondacks can be quite rainy and cold in the fall. We'll see.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

After we take possession of our Ollie in April, we will take several trips here in CO to places we have been before and love.

In August, we are planning a trip to the Teton's where the Total Eclipse can be viewed in totality. Love the Teton's and surrounding areas.

That few minute event is on August 21st, then just move around that area for a week or so.

Malcolm M.

Malcolm and Ursula M.

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull # 204 "Olivia"

2016 Ram 2500HD Diesel 4x4

We are going to Topsail Hill Florida middle of May. Anyone ever camp Florida Gulf, West Coast Florida, Florida Keys?

Bugbite

Topsail is a beautiful Florida State Park.  It is a quiet and slow paced park in the sugar white sands near Destin and Fort Walton Beach Fl.  You can walk to the beach from your campsite.  When you drive out of the park, you are on state highway 98.  There are shopping centers, restaurants and tourist sites galore in the area.  Elgin Air Force Base is nearby, the largest military installation with over 365 sq miles.  There is a great military museum on the edge of the base, easy pyublic access

also, there are two other great state parks nearby, on the beach as well. Henderson and Grayson Beach. ENJOY ?!!

We will be camping in the NC, TN, GA mountains, SC coast, and VA during 2017.

After we take possession of our Ollie in April, we will take several trips here in CO to places we have been before and love.    Malcolm M.

Malcolm,

We have not been to CO yet, but want to camp there during our next trip out west.

LE2

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay. Have been traveling on business last couple of days.

As to your comment about getting out to CO, there are numerous places both State Parks and just plain old recreational areas. In our experience, we love visiting repeatedly the following:

Turquoise Lake Recreational Area - outside Leadville, CO - side note: Leadville is the highest (elevation) incorporated city in the US

Steamboat Lake State Park - scenery awesome!

Lottis campground on the famous Taylor River or any other campgrounds at Taylor

Campgrounds near Crested Butte - scenery will blow you away

Carter Lake

I could go on. If you want RV parks near towns i.e. gambling meccas, great KOA in Central City. Now, gambling here is not like a big city. Talking about a small mountain town with great mountain views at the KOA because of elevation.

Hope this helps you and if you plan a trip out this way, lets talk and maybe meet up. I'm retiring in March 31st. and go the Hohenwald to get our Ollie on April 17th. The anticipation is overwhelming sometimes.

• Thanks 3

Malcolm and Ursula M.

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull # 204 "Olivia"

2016 Ram 2500HD Diesel 4x4

So many nice places to check out on CO... spent a few weeks last summer camping, hiking and fishing in the Flat Tops Wilderness... spectacular. Several nice campgrounds in the area.

IMG_2183.jpg.0c2005b1216be5364ad0db1dc2349d59.jpg

IMG_2675.thumb.jpg.e9a46dfe5fbf60331af14ec67d1e2d76.jpg

IMG_2711.thumb.jpg.7b233f8edb002809fab90078bfda7549.jpg

• Thanks 1

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

• Moderator+

We are currently camped at Amistad National Recreational Area on the Texas/Mexican border.  Four bucks night, not too shabby. We are still on our way to Quartzsite, Arizona. We will leave this area tomorrow headed West. We are still undecided on whether to go through Big Bend National Park. We were there this time last year so it's not like we have not ever seen it.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Malcolm and GrayGhost,

Appreciate the information and fine photos!!!!! We have camped in a few western states, but everything we see and read about CO, puts it on the top of our next state to camp out west!

Malcolm will PM when we a plan our next trip out west!

Thanks!

LE2

We are currently camped at Amistad National Recreational Area on the Texas/Mexican border. Four bucks night, not too shabby. We are still on our way to Quartzsite, Arizona. We will leave this area tomorrow headed West. We are still undecided on whether to go through Big Bend National Park. We were there this time last year so it’s not like we have not ever seen it.

Steve

I hope the weather cooperates well for you.  Southern Mississippi got slammed this morning.

There are a number of great campsites on your way to Quartzite, especially if traveling on I- 10.  A great, quiet BLM campsite North of Las Cruces and near White Sands.

Some other great sites in AZ before you get to Quartzite, in the Dragoon mountians among huge boulders, just below the rest stop, before Benson, AZ

Drive safely and enjoy

coy

We have camped in Florida at Oleno. One of those places where there were more deer than people. It was a former town that died when Flagler took his trains along the coast to Miami. The 6000 acre State Park was a home to train supervisors during Depression reconstruction. There are interesting structures everywhere...

We’ll be going to the Oregon Coast Gathering in July with the Casita Club. I hope some more Olivers are going. http://www.casitaforum.com/BullardsRegistration.html

Bandon usually books up fast but what loop are you guys going to be in? We can try :)

"Edit" - We're in B loop in Bandon

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

We’ll be going to the Oregon Coast Gathering in July with the Casita Club. I hope some more Olivers are going.

Bandon usually books up fast but what loop are you guys going to be in? We can try ? “Edit” – We’re in B loop in Bandon

We have reservations for A25.   Did you guys make reservations already?

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

We have reservations for A25. Did you guys make reservations already?

We did last night after seeing yours and we are in B17, then I have a ton of friends along the Coast line and Karen's mother lives up in Florence, so we will head up that way either before or after. We've always wanted to hit the Bandon Rally but it was booked up the last 2 times we tried to get in, so we got lucky :)

We're already booked into Yosemite with a few friends in April, from the 23rd - 28th in Upper Pines camp ground.

Then we all leave Yosemite to go to the "14th Annual 2017 Fiberglass RV Rally" from May 4th to the 8th with the gang from Yosemite.

Then we will go spend a few days at Indian Grinding Rocks, which we do every year because that's one of the places that Karen camped with her family when she was a child and it's just a beautiful place before driving a few miles over to...

the "Scamp Far West Rally" in May over in Pine Grove, which is a nice laid back gathering of really great people with lots of Scamps but the Casita's usually win out in sheer numbers. Then we will head home to regroup and get set up to open up our Gold Mine on the Middle Fork of the Yuba River, where we camp a lot during the summer. We're right above the Oregon Creek Day Use Area and I've maintained the upper swimming hole's for many years. People don't realize that we built that swimming hole into what it is today. We move boulders when needed and pulled about 50 of them out of the swimming hole along with sanding the trails from our camp.  I'm sure the trails got washed out a bit in the floods a few weeks back, but that's normal :)

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/topic/25586-14th-annual-2017-fiberglassrv-rally-may04-through-may08-2017/

http://www.scampowners.com/forums/scamp-camp-far-west

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26661

http://www.outdoorproject.com/adventures/california/swimming-holes-cliff-jumping/oregon-creek-day-use-area

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II