WINTER CAMPING by Larry Mountainborn Harmon

mountainborn

Larry,

I found your article informative and reflective, we have made winter camping a seasonal routine. One of our favorite sites is Canaan Valley State park, it's open year round. Electric and sewer at each site with water and laundry available at the bath house. Activities include downhill and crosscountry skiing, snowshoe, and hiking.  I am curious to know if and where you mounted your wave heater. Also did you run a dedicated gas line?

Kenny and Kay

Camping-in-Snow-Small.jpg.5c6b4291e569942ff842cc62d6be72b0.jpg

Larry,

Very useful information about the heater and LP bottle weight.

Know what you mean about camping and hearing noises outside at night. While camping in MT & WY, we always wake up when Elk and Coyotes come through the campground, looking out trying to see them on moonlit nights.

Thanks,

2015 LE2

• Moderators

Bill,

The coyotes and the elk/deer are one thing, but the silent griz or the snorting buffalo are another.  Those last two sure do get you awake in a real hurry.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill, The coyotes and the elk/deer are one thing, but the silent griz or the snorting buffalo are another. Those last two sure do get you awake in a real hurry. Bill

Bill,

Don't know if any Griz or Buffalo passed by at night, but Larry mentioned listening to sounds outside the camper at night in his article, so here's another one.

One night we were camping next to a swamp in SC. Something was out side making odd snorting type of noises. Figured it was some type of wildlife, so did not go outside until morning. The next morning the family in the campsite beside us said a very large alligator had been in our campsite during the night. :)

2015 LE2

• Moderators
Larry, I found your article informative and reflective, we have made winter camping a seasonal routine. One of our favorite sites is Canaan Valley State park, it’s open year round. Electric and sewer at each site with water and laundry available at the bath house. Activities include downhill and crosscountry skiing, snowshoe, and hiking. I am curious to know if and where you mounted your wave heater. Also did you run a dedicated gas line? Kenny and Kay

Mounted it below the closet door. Relocated the courtesy light. Dedicated gas line with a shut off valve and a quick connect just ahead of the regulator.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)