Dexter axle grease

Found the Dexter axle grease, the #11390 LMX "Red"  Grease on line for a little more than $8 a tube plus shipping and handling. Was greatly surprised that we were able to walk into an ACE Hardware auto section and pick up a couple of tubes for under $6 each. No shipping. No handling. No waiting. How often does that happen any more?

• Thanks 4

• Moderators

Well, not often, but I have to tell you, I love my local Ace hardware. They have just a few of what seems like a zillion items. It's my go-to to spot for just a few metric stainless screws or bolts, a short length of PVC, an odd fitting I need right now...

And, I don't know about your local Ace, but the guy who runs the electrical section in mine is a retired electrical engineer who had helped me on numerous occasions.

So glad they're still in my neighborhood.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Yes, occasionally, the local Ace is 10 cents higher on a fitting, but often not. And three miles closer than depot or the blue box store.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

That's how I feel also, I don't hit Home Depot unless True Value is out. I go to one that I worked at with my dad as a child and then as a teenager myself.

The next question is, it's spring type axle grease... To me - that's whatever grease I have laying around gets used up first, so why buy Dexter? Is there something wrong with plain old industrial bearing grease?

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

The literature and consensus is that this grease is the recommended grease for the Dexter EZ flex upgrade. Recommended for high and low temperatures, high pressure, heavy loads, water insoluble, and high adhesion. Sounds about what I want my Oliver to be riding on. This is one place where I won't settle for any old grease just sitting around. The stress put on dual axles systems during turns and other situations is reason enough for us to upgrade. Especially after seeing what some units look like after a few miles with worn out bushings and shackles.

• Thanks 3

The literature and consensus is that this grease is the recommended grease for the Dexter EZ flex upgrade. Recommended for high and low temperatures, high pressure, heavy loads, water insoluble, and high adhesion. Sounds about what I want my Oliver to be riding on. This is one place where I won’t settle for any old grease just sitting around. The stress put on dual axles systems during turns and other situations is reason enough for us to upgrade. Especially after seeing what some units look like after a few miles with worn out bushings and shackles.

I can't seem to find any comparison on the different greases, this is what I have - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CHV0/238011C/N2421.oap?ck=Search_N2421_-1_-1&pt=N2421&ppt=C0139 and I've used it for years. We bought it in 15 gallon barrels and I just don't see the difference myself other then this is a little cheaper in price.

Ok, I looked for the manufacturer of the Dexter grease and up popped this pdf, check it out, it tells the different greases that Dexter recommends. Mine made the list after all... It's what I've used forever on my tractors, which is why I asked. I'll do some more digging because there's a good chance that it looks to be made by a company that labels and sells it to different people. -  http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/Service_Resources/Bearing_Lubrication_Chart.pdf

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

• Moderators

Heres a listing of approved lubricants from the Dexter company:

Approved Grease Sources 

Chem Arrow- 

Arrow 2282

Chevron Texaco- 

Chevron Ulti-Plex Grease EP #2 Texaco Starplex Moly MPGM #2

Citgo- 

Lithoplex MP #2

Lithoplex CM #2

Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease #2

ConocoPhillips/

76 Lubricants/Kendall -

Multiplex RED #2

L427 Super Blu Grease

Dexter Company- 

Lithoplex Red MP #2

Exxon/Mobil Company- 

Ronex, MP

Mobilith AW 2

Mobil I Synthetic Grease

Fuchs- 

Renolit Uniwrl 2

Great Plains Lubricants- 

Lithium Complex EP #2

Oil Center Research of Oklahoma -

Liquid-O-Ring No, 167L

Pennzoil-Quaker State Company -

Synthetic Red Grease

Royal Mfg. Company- 

Royal 98 Lithium Complex EP #2

Shell -

Gadus S3 V220C

Gadus S5 V220

Rotella Heavy Duty Lithium

Complex #2

Valvoline -

Valvoline Multi-Purpose GM Valvoline Durablend

I buy the Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease #2 (red stuff) from my local Napa store.

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderator+

Thanks Pete, many of the above mentioned lubricants are available here locally in a tube but it is hard to find any of these in a can.  It seems that the tubes would be somewhat harder and messier to use.  In addition, any left in the tube would probably end up as waste.  Has anyone found an approved grease that is available in a 1 pound can?  I think this makes more sense for repacking hubs.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

CV-2

Red Line CV-2  isn't on the list but it is simply stellar for high load applications like CV joints and wheel bearings. It is hard to find locally tho often an automotive speed shop will stock it. It is a pretty light red so if your bearings get contaminated it is easy to see, unlike with black moly lubes. You can buy 14 ounce plastic jars or tubes.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=82&pcid=17

Amazon carries it, and it has a five star customer rating. Many consider it to be the Best of the Best.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80401-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B0053O9FQS

Nobody has mentioned that mixing different types of greases can be bad - most especially mixing synthetic and petroleum based ones. It is best to choose one brand and type and stay with it long term, especially for suspension zerks where you are not physically cleaning out the old stuff, but instead you are just adding a few pumps of new....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

For those of you worried about wasting a tube of expensive synthetic grease, you can buy a mini gun that does not use cartridges, and simply keep topping it up from the jar as needed. It would be good for carrying inside a couple of freezer bags on a long road trip, but no mini gun works as well as a big lever type or pneumatic one. Of course those can also be refilled, you don't need those cartridges.

It is messy.....

BTW I don't know anything about the gun in the video,  but this little one is good ... https://www.amazon.com/Astro-101-Grease-Needle-Nozzle/dp/B000FMK7FG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484155079&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+grease

A needle fitting works fine on a zerk but you must hold it hard in place at 90 degrees to the fitting. Another reason to have them facing inboard.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks Pete, many of the above mentioned lubricants are available here locally in a tube but it is hard to find any of these in a can. It seems that the tubes would be somewhat harder and messier to use. In addition, any left in the tube would probably end up as waste. Has anyone found an approved grease that is available in a 1 pound can? I think this makes more sense for repacking hubs.

Tubes are what grease guns use.  You continue to grease the bushings occasionally, as regular maintenance, by greasing through the zerk fittings with a grease gun.  Why would a can of grease be better?  When originally installing the heavy duty bushings, or greasing the bearings, you can get the grease easily from a tube or from a can, but the can won't work with a grease gun.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

I must be missing something in the whole discussion. For greasing zerk fittings on the Dexter EZ Flex a grease gun is necessary. To fill a grease gun you unscrew the cap, open a tube of the proper grease, insert, put cap back on and do the greasing. Now you can open and hand pack the grease gun, but why would you? It is a messy job. It is hard to store. I prefer a clean gun  and hands if I am crawling under a unit searching for 16 zerks to fill.

Now for wheel bearing we do prefer small tubs of wheel bearing grease, as we hand pack our bearings. We usually rub our hands with a little Dawn dish washing detergent first and then let it dry. When done packing, hands come really clean when washed. We do use a grease gun to top off and pressurize Buddy Bearings, but do not rely on that alone for grease. One gun. Pop out the other cartridge, pop in the proper one, pump out to clear the tube (it will change color) and done. Back to the fire...

I must be missing something in the whole discussion. For greasing zerk fittings on the Dexter EZ Flex a grease gun is necessary. To fill a grease gun you unscrew the cap, open a tube of the proper grease, insert, put cap back on and do the greasing. Now you can open and hand pack the grease gun, but why would you? It is a messy job. It is hard to store. I prefer a clean gun and hands if I am crawling under a unit searching for 16 zerks to fill. Now for wheel bearing we do prefer small tubs of wheel bearing grease, as we hand pack our bearings. We usually rub our hands with a little Dawn dish washing detergent first and then let it dry. When done packing, hands come really clean when washed. We do use a grease gun to top off and pressurize Buddy Bearings, but do not rely on that alone for grease. One gun. Pop out the other cartridge, pop in the proper one, pump out to clear the tube (it will change color) and done. Back to the fire…

There's 2 types of grease guns, the tube style and the pump style, both look & work the same but with the pump fill style, you pump the grease from a barrel into it usually, this is what I have also and it can be hand packed but it's not needed. If you use a lot of grease, then buying it in 5 to 15 gallon barrels is way cheaper then buying the individual tubes.

Happy Camping,

null

Between the salt water environment and changing seasons with the boats, the tractors and equipment at the farm and campground we have found to use the right grease for the right job. Most grease guns we have seen ( or those we have)  will take either a tube or bulk. We have found the tubes to be more convenient and clean for us. It is your equipment, use what you are comfortable with. We have also read back through the forum, and have adjusted our needs and wants to those the others have found to work for them. When 50 to 60 miles in the woods we just know we would hate to walk to town for parts, when hopefully a proper ounce of prevention would have prevented it...

• Thanks 1

• Moderator+

Thanks Pete, many of the above mentioned lubricants are available here locally in a tube but it is hard to find any of these in a can. It seems that the tubes would be somewhat harder and messier to use. In addition, any left in the tube would probably end up as waste. Has anyone found an approved grease that is available in a 1 pound can? I think this makes more sense for repacking hubs.

Tubes are what grease guns use. You continue to grease the bushings occasionally, as regular maintenance, by greasing through the zerk fittings with a grease gun. Why would a can of grease be better? When originally installing the heavy duty bushings, or greasing the bearings, you can get the grease easily from a tube or from a can, but the can won’t work with a grease gun.

Sorry, I inadvertently changed the subject without the obligatory ding.   DING!   I was thinking and talking about repacking the hubs.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 years later...

It might be a good idea to throw 4 or 5 spare zerks which fit the Dexter EZ Flex system in your tool box, and also make sure you have a socket which fits them in your kit.  I have broken a couple zerks on tractors (taking the grease gun off can sometimes be a little violent :) )..anyway, it might be a handy insurance policy.  On the bright side, they won't add much to the weight of the trailer :)

Vector

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II;  #129

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel