Wheel Bearing kits

topgun2

• Moderators

A short while ago a question arose regarding the proper size of bearings for the Oliver Elite II.  I had posted that I purchased a "kit" from Redneck Trailer Supply and carried these with me - just in case.  Another Forum member questioned the size of the bearings/seals in this kit.  So, finally, today I called Redneck Trailer Supply to reconfirm some information.

It appears that the original confusion centers around which axle is on your individual Oliver.  If you have the twin 3,500 pound axles then the "kit" number that you want is - BK2-100.  If your Oliver has the 5,200 pound axles then you would need the BK3-100 kit.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

A.  That information should be on your "build sheet"

B.  Ask Jason in the sales office

C.  Get you serial numbers directly off your axles and ask Dexter.

D.  I'm out of ideas....

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Look on the axle tube near the center.  It will have a white sticker that tells you what axle it is.

Oliver uses  standard Dexter 3500 lb axles unless you have the 12" brakes.  With the 12" brakes they are the 5200 lb Dexter axles.

Verify this by looking at the sticker

• Thanks 2

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Here's the Dexter ID sticker and serial number stamped into one of the axles on our 2015 Elite II. Dexter will email a spec/build sheet for a axle assembly by calling their service department. Dexter will tell you which bearings and seals to use for your assembly that can be crossed over to bearings & seals sold at places like E-Trailer and Amazon.

• Thanks 2

Bill #75 LE2

A. Not on huild sheet

B. Think Sales Office has me on Caller ID

C. Have not received our unit yet.

D. Sorry

Checked all spec sheets, build sheets... Nothing mentioned...finally found in the brochure that they have 12" brakes, so we have to assume the heavier axle.

As today was it's official start date, I hesitated to call. Wonder what time (EST) they open tomorrow?

Mmm. This begs the question. My Elite II is in production and what/who makes the decision of the axle or brake size?? Have never heard of this being a choice or upgrade possibility.

Could someone please answer this for me.

Thanks,

Confused!

Malcolm and Ursula M.

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull # 204 "Olivia"

2016 Ram 2500HD Diesel 4x4

So does that mean a 10,400 GVWR? I need a bigger truck.

Our Ollie's Bulldog hitch is rated at 7,000 pounds maximum capacity. Our Elite II weighs in at 4950 pounds with all water tanks empty ready to camp. That's the weight we normally tow our Ollie at.

Hope this helps.

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderators
Ok, how do you know what axle you have?

Count the number of lugs on your wheels.  If you have 5 lugs, you have the 3500 lb axle.  A 5200 lb axle will have 6 lugs.

(CORRECTION:  ERROR.....see Raspy's reply to this at his 11:29 posting later today)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Mmm. This begs the question. My Elite II is in production and what/who makes the decision of the axle or brake size?? Have never heard of this being a choice or upgrade possibility. Could someone please answer this for me. Thanks, Confused!

On the Elite II 2017 standard list: "Quad Shocks on dual Dexter leaf spring axles with “Nev-R-Adjust” 12″ electric brakes for exceptional control and braking"

Our 5200 pound Dexter axles have 12" electric brakes on our 2015 Ollie.  Also worked on a friend's single axle 2015 Ollie and it has a 5200 pound capacity Dexter axle. Here is how the brakes are called out on the Dexter build/spec sheet on our Ollie's axle:  "Brk Axle, 12x2, Elec".

Please call Anita or Jason tomorrow to have them to confirm. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

Thanks Bill. I will call tomorrow and try to get clarification.

I would think that if 5200 lb. axles are available, then heck, I want the bigger. Never know whats down the road or off the road for that matter. :)

Malcolm Monlezun

• Thanks 1

Malcolm and Ursula M.

Count the number of lugs on your wheels. If you have 5 lugs, you have the 3500 lb axle. A 5200 lb axle will have 6 lugs.

NO. NO. NO.

Be sure what you are posting before you give advice.  All Elite ll have six bolt wheels, either with 3500 or the 5200 axles.

John

So does that mean a 10,400 GVWR? I need a bigger truck.

It means you get the 12" brakes.  Let's not overthink this.

An Elite ll weighs about 5,000 lbs ready to camp.   They never said they were upping the GVW.  What they advertised was an upgrade to 12" brakes.  That is the standard size with the 5200 lb axles.  That's it.  What does that have to do wit a bigger truck?  It simply means you have stronger brakes.

John

Mmm. This begs the question. My Elite II is in production and what/who makes the decision of the axle or brake size?? Have never heard of this being a choice or upgrade possibility. Could someone please answer this for me. Thanks, Confused!

Read the brochures for the 2016 units.  Somewhere in late 2015 or for the 2016 model, they listed the model year changes.  These changes included switching to 12" brakes.  12" brakes are standard on 5200 lb axles.  So, all models with 12" brakes are 5200 lb axles.  The 3500 lb axles are plenty adequate for an Elite ll, but the brakes are bigger on the 5200 lb axles and they upgraded the brakes.

It has nothing to do with options, or an increase in the GVW.  But it might be nice to simply verify that you will be getting the bigger brakes.

If you want an upgrade in the axle department, ask for the EZ Flex greaseable bushing upgrade with heavy duty shackles.

John

• Moderators

Count the number of lugs on your wheels. If you have 5 lugs, you have the 3500 lb axle. A 5200 lb axle will have 6 lugs.

NO. NO. NO. Be sure what you are posting before you give advice. All Elite ll have six bolt wheels, either with 3500 or the 5200 axles.

John, thanks for the correction.  Sorry about that.  I was working on information of how it was back 7 years ago when only the single axle Elite was in production.  My apologies to all for the misinformation.

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Would like to chime in on this discussion after speaking with Jason this morning. I asked him to clarify what axle is being installed on my Elite II now in production. Also, I mentioned the discussion about axles on this forum. Quoting Jason now: "all Elite trailers being single axle have the 5200 lb axles. All Elite II trailers being twin axle's have the 3200 lb axle's with 10 x 2 1/4 brakes." There is no option available! Two 5200 lb axles on a 7,000 GVWR rated Elite II trailer would be a over kill and totally unnecessary.

This report with Jason cleared up my concerns after reading this discussion and some of it being misinformation. To me, good reason for this open forum and getting that education when spending this amount of money for what all of us agree is one the finest quality products made in the USA.

Malcolm M.

• Thanks 1

Malcolm and Ursula M.

• Moderators

Speaking of which - I believe that the above should read, "All Elite II trailers being twin axle’s have the 3500 lb axle’s with 10 x 2 1/4 brakes".  Not "3200 lb axles".  Just for the record.

Bill

• Moderators

And yet.......if you look at today's Ollie website page listing the standard features on the 2017 Elite II, you will read:

CHASSIS

Quad Shocks on dual Dexter leaf spring axles with “Nev-R-Adjust” 12″ electric brakes for exceptional control and braking

Quite a muddled issue here.

Jason, can you get this corrected, for clarification?

Just crawled under our 2015 Elite II Ollie, Hull 075, and took these photos. We have 5200 pound axles and Dexter confirms it by the serial numbers stamped on the axles.

Here's some notes from Dexter in the spec/build list:

Shop Order Notes:  Order Date  10/17/2014

HF= 68.75,SC= 50.00,BEAM CAPACITY BASED

ON OVERHANG IS: 5200,BEAM CAPACITY

Customer Name: Precision Poylmers LLC  DBA Oliver Fiberglass Products  609 Swan Ave  Hohenwald Tn 38462

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

Thank you Topgun 2. That was a typo and I stand corrected. Example of why you should proof read before hitting submit! :)

As to rideandfly and your pictures, I am getting a little put out by all of this. Your pictures are worth a thousand words. Muddled is a under statement. Just seems too easy to get the correct info the first time. Don't know what else to do to get accurate info, especially when our Ollie is in production and now, not sure what the heck I'm paying for.

Guess I'm suppose to trust OTT that I'm getting the best, safest equipment available. And, I do trust OTT! I'm just a little more analytical that the average guy I guess.

Malcolm M.

Malcolm and Ursula M.

Malcolm,

Our Ollie and a few more may have been exceptions, will see.  This statement on the Oliver site: "CHASSIS

Quad Shocks on dual Dexter leaf spring axles with “Nev-R-Adjust” 12″ electric brakes for exceptional control and braking" may need to be updated.

Bottom line, sounds like there are 3500 lb capacity and 5200 lb capacity axles on Elite II units. I advise everyone to check your axles before ordering parts like bearings and seals. It would not be good to be on the side of the road broke down when part stores are closed relying on parts purchased finding out they will not work. Took me about 1 or 2 minutes to take the photos and 5 minutes to call Dexter for them to email a spec sheet on my axles. They were also willing to give me any part number needed that can be purchased from Dexter or cross over their part numbers to lower priced parts that can be purchased from many vendors.

Hope this helps. I'm confident Oliver will get back to us to clear up this issue!  Agree with you, Oliver builds a fine product!!!!

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderators

Malcom and others who may be concerned,

Elite II owner "rideandfly" states his ready to camp Elite II without water weighs 4690 lbs.  If you were to add the 32.5 gallons of fresh water you would have an additional 260 lbs, for a total weight of 4950.  This is still only 2/3 of the capacity of twin 3500 lb axles, giving you a 34% overhead margin for safety.

As for brakes; Having four 10 x 2 1/4 inch brakes gives you 180 square inches of braking surface for stopping your heaviest Elite II (supplies & water on board) of 4950 lbs.  My Elite I weighs in at 3900 lbs with stores and full fresh water tank. With it's single axle and 12 x 2 inch brakes, it has 96 of braking surface and I will attest (after 99,000 miles) I have found it to stop just FINE in all conditions and grades of roads I have thus far encountered.

Rest assured, whatever brakes and axles your Elite II may have, safety is definitely not an issue to be concerned about.

Pete

• Thanks 2