Another form of Winterization

Try2Relax

After an earlier snow storm, then melt and refreeze, I was concerned about the snow that accumulated on the roof. While I tried to clean as much off as possible, what remained melted and then froze solid with an overnight 20°+ drop and I found that where most of the water has collected that froze was at all the awning supports (that rubber seal holds the water perfectly) so I became concerned about that freezing expanding into the mount area and weakening or damaging the area.  Soooo......

f17pubyj4anmq1y4ya51v6vie9aa6uhb.jpg.2cf9d962727cce78a4a3f81cef77f837.jpg

Worked perfectly, so far, 5" of heavy wet snow, it would collect a little and then slide right off.

I wanted to maintain the ability of airflow and breathability.

Can't put up a nice carport or overhang or anything structural, or they will property tax the hell out of it.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Looks like a winner. Those ice crystals look nice too. Does New Hampshire, with their view tax, tax them too? What did you make the support structure from? CPVC pipe would be my guess as light, white, strong, and come apart easy to store. Wonder if they could get up there to put shrink wrap on like they do boats?

• Moderators

Love the picture.  Too bad about the tax hit for a nice carport.  Could you put up a minimalist cover like this and avoid the tax issue?

na0cspx8etlm4mgndwptjbslxf4w7t4l.jpg.527f1d3506484e214cd05dbcf29ba0b6.jpg

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

1. View tax - if they showed up to access when it looked like this, probably. I'm assessed 30k for my view as is (without crystals)

2. Very good. Yes, 1 1/2” sched 40 pvc, my opinion strong enough for possible snow load and for exactly all the reasons you listed.

3. Tax hit - If you look closely you'll see, behind the steps, I covered with corrugated metal, this was for a wind block under the deck, my next tax bill showed "lean-to" assessment $328

The guy down the street has that exact 5th wheel carport and is assessed almost $4000 every year for it.

• Thanks 1

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

• Moderators

Randy, if I understand the tax issue, your neighbor with the RV cover is "assessed" $4000 each year with is added to the appraised value of his property, right?  (Surely it is not a $4000 increase in taxes due!!)  If so, the actual amount of tax increase he must pay would be based on his property tax rate.  NH property tax rate averages 2.05%, so a $4000 assessment increase would result in an increase of $82 each year to his tax burden. Put another way, that's $6.83 per month to protect his RV from the elements.  Might not be so bad after all to help maintain the value of your trailer if you look at it this way.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

No pool noodles needed, designed to not interfer or touch anything, 5 peaks, each peak is free standing, 15' from end to end, the horizontal runs the length of the trailer and never touches the fiberglass.

vfewj81v724gl83v0dqbmyiqqe25agnv.jpg.4707e425507bca28cb42322dc34f0755.jpg

Pete, very true, I guess it's all in how you look at it. What is the cost for that type of structure? So far, this has been about $125. I would have to decide where I would want a permanent structure, but I do like the level of protection that would offer.

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

• Moderators

Randy, that is an awesome "hat" you have made to protect your Ollie.  Likely the best bang for the buck possible.  Is it secured so it won't blow off under high wind conditions?

If you do a Google search, using "metal ; RV ; carport ; kit" you will come across numerous options, everything from a tent covered, do it yourself structure for $995 (not sure how many seasons the tenting material would last) to metal roof structure kits under $2000, to some $6000 or more stout structures they will erect for you. You can save money by putting down a gravel base instead of concrete

You can also go overboard . . .

I designed a shelter for protecting both The Wonder Egg and my truck and had a contactor build it on my property.  They ran electricity from the house, built a foundation and poured a 17' by 50' slab of concrete.  The back part includes a 10' by 17' storage shed and the front 40' is a covered area with 30 amp service and a 12' tall opening (in case I ever got a larger unit, which is unlikely).  The walls only go down 6' to afford great protecton from the Texas sun and a cool space to wash & wax.  There are long florescent lights so I can easily work around the trailer after the sun sets, as needed.  The gate operates remotely, using solar power and weighs about 600 lbs.  I'll take a picture of it tomorrow to attach to this post.

EDIT:  19 Jan 8:59 am

j7cvoj08lylxo5rvg7q875euwd82ge0q.jpg.b099318bc95cd58606b11d0334bd4479.jpg

s292km37xk47admvm01j7n6123wnjl41.jpg.7dd22824ddc96b61800c02cec8dce8e2.jpg

• Thanks 2

Hehe.. "hat" is exactly what I thought when is finished it.

The structure itself is zip-tied to each of the 4 awning mounts, the whole thing weighs less than 45lbs and the tarp is secured to itself side-to-side going under the body, using the channels underneath to keep each line from sliding around. Next year I'll drive ground stakes, too late this year already frozen.

I look forward to the photo, that sounds truly impressive.

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

Pete, I was correct, that IS truly impressive, what's funny though is I think I find the gate the most impressive part, kinda makes me think of Jurassic Park...

Bill, thanks. That's my wife's contribution, her part in getting the trailer was so we could drive around the country and she can run marathons everywhere.

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

Hehe.. “hat” is exactly what I thought when is finished it. The structure itself is zip-tied to each of the 4 awning mounts, the whole thing weighs less than 45lbs and the tarp is secured to itself side-to-side going under the body, using the channels underneath to keep each line from sliding around. Next year I’ll drive ground stakes, too late this year already frozen. I look forward to the photo, that sounds truly impressive.

I'm glad you live in a benign climate where that might be adequate. The entire hat would be gone within a month where I live. It gets breezy and the shape makes for a perfect parasail.

If you do get a strong gale, what damage will it inflict on the trailer, and are you ready to accept that risk, expense and hassle? If it does depart, will it wreck your panels or AC? Even secured with nylon straps, you will get movement and pounding. If by nylon ropes the motion will be worse. You will definitely get chafing of the gel coat everywhere there is contact underneath. I advise a better setup entirely, for piece of mind if nothing else.

Sorry, no offense intended, but your solution does not impress. Your Ollie is an expensive investment that deserves protection that does not sit on top like a floppy sou'wester hat.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John, no offense taken, good or bad everything is food for thought.

Thoughts, opinions and input are why I post here, to learn and hopefully improve with knowledge from others.

I had planned and will definitely keep an eye on where the tie downs contact the underbody curve until it can be ground secured.

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB