Rubber Gaskets Around Porch Lights

• Moderators

The black gaskets around all of my porch lights bleed black whenever they get wet.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Considering they are fairly new and under cover when not out on the road it doesn't seem possible they could be breaking down already.  Thoughts?

47593nipi75chykm3mx2jy9m080nx4gs.thumb.jpg.9045a285e8cd33daaabd9ef3222816a5.jpg

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

What are you washing your Ollie with?

It seems that something is deteriorating the seals.  Our water has lots of lime.  I noticed white streaks much like your black streaks.  I have used Murphy's oil soap for two years.  My Ollie shines like a new unit.  Now no streaks.   I too, keep my unit indoors.  I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
What are you washing your Ollie with? It seems that something is deteriorating the seals. Our water has lots of lime. I noticed white streaks much like your black streaks. I have used Murphy’s oil soap for two years. My Ollie shines like a new unit. Now no streaks. I too, keep my unit indoors. I hope this helps.

I've been using regular car wash when I wash it.  On our trip home from picking up we had rain and that's when I first noticed this and that was just 3 days after pick up.  It's the rubber gasket because after I wash it I have to wipe the black off and if my microfiber towel contacts the gasket it gets black.  After it's all dry I usually go around and wipe the streaks off.

We've been traveling for a couple of weeks now and have had rain and hail, so besides just being dirty I have streaks under each light.  The rubber should be more durable.

We'll be home in a week or so and will get everything cleaned up.  May try to find some kind of rubber conditioner or sealer, unless someone has a better solution.  Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mike,

We have the same issue with the Furrion gasket on the 110V external power receptacle. Looks like the gasket material sandwiched between the fixture & trailer hull is bleeding black. Different gasket material can be used that will not bleed and still seal. I will eventually cut a custom gasket to replace the Furrion gasket, but not until next month.

Oliver could have fixtures supplied with different gasket material or have a gasket/seal vendor to cut custom gaskets in quantity with different material to stop the issue.  We used to have custom hydraulic seals/gaskets cut in quantity for various applications, the cost was cheap,  just required an extra step during the  assembly process.

Just a thought!

• Thanks 1

LE2

• Moderators
I will eventually cut a custom gasket to replace the Furrion gasket, but not until next month.

Bill, I have thought about making my own gaskets as well.  Can't be too difficult, the old ones can be the template.  Just need to have the right material.  Let us know what you find, I'll be researching too.

Mike

Good morning hardrock,

Taking possession of our Ollie in April. Was curious about your comment concerning Murphy's Oil. Could you please share with me the concentration you have found to work the best if you purchase the 1 gallon concentrate?

Also, just spoke with Jason about the gasket causality and his comments on this issue. He stated that they have never seen this as a problem in Hohenwald with their water. His take is, as someone mentioned, maybe your particular location and the acidity of the city water/rain/sleet/hail. Also, salt in the air in locations close to shorelines. He also commented that in the past they have had Ollie owners come back to the factory with pitting of the exterior chrome light fixtures being in salt water vicinities. My hypothesis is probably due to salty air and lack of diligence to properly cleaning these areas after exposure on a nice relaxing trip to the beach. Rinse, rinse and more rinsing!

Anyway, sorry for the rambling.

Thanks,

Malcolm M.

Malcolm and Ursula M.

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull # 204 "Olivia"

2016 Ram 2500HD Diesel 4x4

I will eventually cut a custom gasket to replace the Furrion gasket, but not until next month.

Bill, I have thought about making my own gaskets as well. Can’t be too difficult, the old ones can be the template. Just need to have the right material. Let us know what you find, I’ll be researching too. Mike

Mike,

Purchased gasket material in the past from these folks:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=15zaput

Will post material used and if it worked. All I have to do is wash the Ollie with well water or let it rain to get the gasket to bleed, so the test should be easy.

LE2

If it's streaking then it's probably getting in between the walls. I would definitely seal it completely - https://www.amazon.com/2-8-Ounce-Silicone-Rubber-Marine-Sealant/dp/B000PSB1VY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1484840675&sr=8-5&keywords=clear+rv+sealant

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

OK, I think I've got it!

The cause is "obviously" due to the "fact" that the odd numbered Olivers are the only ones that seem to have the problem - #'s 117, 135, 141, 147.

Seriously, it is not the fasteners, nor do I believe that it is the car wash/rv wash that was/is used.  Other than 4 days in New Orleans, my Twist has not been near the ocean (and I don't think that New Orleans should be considered as being near the ocean).  Therefore, I do not believe that salt water caused (or is causing) this problem.  The water here in western North Carolina has very few minerals in it at all, so, I do not believe that it is being caused by that.  And, we all have some degree of "acid rain".  Even if it is being caused by acid rain these gaskets should not "bleed" in this manner - the rubber on my car and truck doesn't.

I'm convinced at this point that there is something wrong with these gaskets and they should be replaced.  I'm a bit nervous about attempting the replacement myself in that the lights would have to be disconnected in order to get the gaskets off and the new ones on.  In addition, while I assume that these lights are held on by screws, it certainly would be troublesome if they were bolted on.

Finally, I can see no reason to suspect that these are leaking behind the lights.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Mike, We have the same issue with the Furrion gasket on the 110V external power receptacle. Looks like the gasket material sandwiched between the fixture & trailer hull is bleeding black. Different gasket material can be used that will not bleed and still seal. I will eventually cut a custom gasket to replace the Furrion gasket, but not until next month. Oliver could have fixtures supplied with different gasket material or have a gasket/seal vendor to cut custom gaskets in quantity with different material to stop the issue. We used to have custom hydraulic seals/gaskets cut in quantity for various applications, the cost was cheap, just required an extra step during the assembly process. Just a thought!

We don't have the light fixture bleeding black issue but we do with the Furrion gasket on the 110 VAC external power receptacle.  We have well water with conditioning and no other vehicles have this bleeding black issue.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators
Also, just spoke with Jason about the gasket causality and his comments on this issue. He stated that they have never seen this as a problem in Hohenwald with their water. His take is, as someone mentioned, maybe your particular location and the acidity of the city water/rain/sleet/hail. Also, salt in the air in locations close to shorelines. He also commented that in the past they have had Ollie owners come back to the factory with pitting of the exterior chrome light fixtures being in salt water vicinities. My hypothesis is probably due to salty air and lack of diligence to properly cleaning these areas after exposure on a nice relaxing trip to the beach. Rinse, rinse and more rinsing! Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Thanks, Malcolm M.

Malcolm, thanks for mentioning this to Jason.

My first streaking occurred at Land Between the Lakes just 2 days after pickup during a rain storm.  No salt in the air between Hohenwald and LBL.  We've never been to the beach or close to salt water or the coast.  I wash it after every trip.  Our storage is under cover.  The streaking happens during rain or whenever I wash it.

Maybe those of us with this issue need to let Jason know about it.  The rubber gasket acts like it is old and deteriorating.

Mike

• Moderators

In talking with Jason yesterday, he told me that the company that makes the "porch" lights is re-designing the gaskets.  As soon as the re-design is done they will ship some to Oliver.  Hopefully all of this will take place prior to the Oliver Rally in May.

Bill

• Thanks 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks, Bill. Mine is due to be completed about that time so maybe it will get the revised gaskets.

While we're on the subject, what is the general experience with the water tightness of the gaskets around all the lighting? Has anyone noticed excessive condensation or obvious leaks around the seals?

• Moderators

In the year that Twist has been in existence and over the approximately 7,000 miles traveled, I have not seen evidence of any leak of any sort any where.  During the summer months above 8,000 feet with morning temps at or below freezing, there was some condensation on the windows - nothing on the walls ( I always leave the bathroom vent open).  This condensation was not severe and was not frozen nor was it enough to even drip on the windows.

Hope this helps.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
In talking with Jason yesterday, he told me that the company that makes the “porch” lights is re-designing the gaskets. As soon as the re-design is done they will ship some to Oliver. Hopefully all of this will take place prior to the Oliver Rally in May. Bill

Bill, that's good news.  Sounds like Jason is on this!

Thanks, Bill. Mine is due to be completed about that time so maybe it will get the revised gaskets. While we’re on the subject, what is the general experience with the water tightness of the gaskets around all the lighting? Has anyone noticed excessive condensation or obvious leaks around the seals?

We've had no issues with any leaking except for leaving a window open during a rainstorm!  We're on the road now and just went through a few days of very high winds, rain, sleet and snow with lows in the high 20's.  No issues with leaking.  We also leave the bathroom vent open and have had no condensation issues.  We run a small electric heater except when it dips below 30, then we use the furnace to keep everything between the hulls warm.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any updates on the replacement gaskets? Defective gaskets? Streak cause?

As a sidebar: we have used small tubes of GE Silicone, that you can squeeze by hand, to put around outdoor electrical boxes. For outside outlets and switchboxes it is recommended that a sealant is used with the enclosed gasket. We have used the GE Sealant exclusively and never had a moisture intrusion. We did notice the sun seemed to dry out the gasket, but with the sealant not a problem. It is available at the big box lumber yards, and I assume at other local hardware stores. No waiting. I always carry a tube in the toolbox...

We talked to Anita and she told us that those lights come with that gasket and yes it bleeds in the beginning, but it stops bleeding after it has been in use a while and it doesn't stain the fiberglass. She also said that if a problem like this gets posted on the forum, that they get blasted with calls about it for a short time and then it fades.

Personally, after talking to Anita, it sounds like the same problem we had on our Casita. The simple answer is washing our trailer periodically as we all need to do anyway. You're going to get streaks down the sides of the trailer whenever it rains because it will be washing the dust and branches from the roof, from the roof to the lights, etc. The gaskets are new and need to go through a break in period and this is common with many rubber gaskets that I've used in the past. It forms a great seal but the rubber needs to cure in place and then seals and dries out over time in the sun and weather. We used Windex on the Casita to wash the heavy streaks from Cedar pollen, pine pitch, etc... and it really wasn't an out of the norm issue.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

I emailed Jason and the he said the manufacturer is working on new gaskets.  Mine bleed whenever wet, rain or washing.  I washed it a few days ago after our trip west (when I took the picture) and had to go around after drying and wipe off the black.  I do not believe it is a matter of breaking in the rubber and I do not believe it will go away with time.  The rubber is acting like it is already old and deteriorating. When I rub my finger across the gasket it is not smooth like you would expect new rubber to be.  Mike

• Thanks 1

I emailed Jason and the he said the manufacturer is working on new gaskets. Mine bleed whenever wet, rain or washing. I washed it a few days ago after our trip west (when I took the picture) and had to go around after drying and wipe off the black. I do not believe it is a matter of breaking in the rubber and I do not believe it will go away with time. The rubber is acting like it is already old and deteriorating. When I rub my finger across the gasket it is not smooth like you would expect new rubber to be. Mike

Mike,

It rained on our Ollie during the last two weeks.  It had a black streak below the Furrion black gasket on the 110V external power receptacle. Going to replace the black gasket with white gasket made with gasket material from McMaster-Carr during February. Will let you know how it works out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=15zaput

• Thanks 2

LE2

• Moderators

I'm with Mike and Carol - I'm not in any way convinced that this is part of the "normal aging process".  In fact, just the contrary - at first my gaskets didn't "bleed" and it was only after six months or so that I started to notice the problem that continues to get worse.  I also do not believe that putting a bandaid over the problem is the appropriate solution.  As I have stated before, the seals and gaskets on my car and truck don't do this.

Bill

• Thanks 3

The black gaskets around all of my porch lights bleed black whenever they get wet. Does anyone else have this problem? Considering they are fairly new and under cover when not out on the road it doesn’t seem possible they could be breaking down already. Thoughts? 47593nipi75chykm3mx2jy9m080nx4gs.thumb.jpg.b128d7980340412596c999180f6bb841.jpg

Mike and Carol,

You are not alone.   My 2016 Oliver had bleeding around outside lights just like the one shown in your picture. I have had no leaking inside of the trailer and the rubber gaskets didn't seem to be failing in any way, but having black streaks running down the side of the camper was not something that I wanted to see.  I have in my bag of tricks a product that I've been using since my sailing days down in the Caribbean. "DAP Dow Corning 100% Silicone Rubber Aquarium Sealant".  I've had the same tube for about 8 years and it still mostly full and still usable. I put some on my finger and wiped it around lights, lightly covering the black rubber gasket. I did this a couple of times. You can hardly see it after being applied.  To this point I've not had any more issues with black streaking. I even had it washed at the Blue Beacon truck and RV wash the other day and still no streaking.

I would encourage everyone to have this product in your bag. I've used it in a number of places both on boats and RV's. On a previously owned RV we had a leak in the condensation line over our bed from the air conditioner to outside of the RV. I could reach the condensation line, but to cut the tiny leaking pipe out and replace it would have been an huge ordeal. I took some DAP on my finger and applied it to the leaking line and it never leaked a drop again. It also says that it is Aquarium Safe, so I figure it should be safe to use on my RV. It is also clear and transparent.

I just wanted to let you know what I used. It worked for me.

Hap

Presently, at home in Florida, but in one month, we will be leaving for our trip to California, Oregon, and Washington states. Can hardly wait to hit the road again.

• Thanks 2