Rubber Gaskets Around Porch Lights

My trailer in #140 and was picked up May 5.  The porch light gasket is still creating a stain and it will not just wash off.   I know that #136 has the same problem.   I am hoping that all we have to do with the replacement gasket is remove 2 screws per fixture and install.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
My trailer in #140 and was picked up May 5. The porch light gasket is still creating a stain and it will not just wash off. I know that #136 has the same problem. I am hoping that all we have to do with the replacement gasket is remove 2 screws per fixture and install.

Maybe May trailers got a bad batch of gaskets?

The black gaskets around all of my porch lights bleed black whenever they get wet. Does anyone else have this problem? Considering they are fairly new and under cover when not out on the road it doesn’t seem possible they could be breaking down already. Thoughts?
47593nipi75chykm3mx2jy9m080nx4gs.thumb.jpg.95ef5309aec29d1b6bb44d9b2c2b583f.jpg

Mike and Carol, You are not alone. My 2016 Oliver had bleeding around outside lights just like the one shown in your picture. I have had no leaking inside of the trailer and the rubber gaskets didn’t seem to be failing in any way, but having black streaks running down the side of the camper was not something that I wanted to see. I have in my bag of tricks a product that I’ve been using since my sailing days down in the Caribbean. “DAP Dow Corning 100% Silicone Rubber Aquarium Sealant”. I’ve had the same tube for about 8 years and it still mostly full and still usable. I put some on my finger and wiped it around lights, lightly covering the black rubber gasket. I did this a couple of times. You can hardly see it after being applied. To this point I’ve not had any more issues with black streaking. I even had it washed at the Blue Beacon truck and RV wash the other day and still no streaking. I would encourage everyone to have this product in your bag.

Hap, good to know.  I will look to get a tube.  Hopefully, Jason will get some replacements soon.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My trailer in #140 and was picked up May 5. The porch light gasket is still creating a stain and it will not just wash off. I know that #136 has the same problem. I am hoping that all we have to do with the replacement gasket is remove 2 screws per fixture and install.

Donbob3

The product that I use to remove stains is 303 UV Protectant. I use it to wax our Oliver before we leave for a long trip and then while traveling I just use 303 on the front of the trailer after I wash it. It works great for me especially protecting from love bugs, road tar, etc. A lot of sailboat owners use it for to protect their boats. It can be purchased at Westmarien stores, Camping World Stores. I purchase it on Amazon by the gallon which will last me for several years. I've used it on boats, a motorhome, and two travel trailers and love the stuff. You can get a lot more information on Amazon and by reading their reviews.

Once again I just wanted to let you know what works for me. Hope it helps

Hap

Short for Happy as in happy to own an Oliver Travel Trailer especially after seeing some of the other RV's out there.

• Thanks 2

Spoke with Factory (Oliver) today.  There will be no replacement gaskets.  Manufacturer does not consider it to be their problem.   I will coat my gaskets tomorrow.  I have acquired  two sealants:

Marineland: acquarium sealant 100% clear silicone rubber -waterproof -harmless to fish. Adheres to rubbers.

Liquid Nails Sealant: Clearer than silicone - Clear Seal all purpose sealant - 50 year durability - weatherproof seal -

excellent adhesion.  Adheres to rubbers.

Did not find the DAP Dow Corning product in stock locally.

My choice depends on not harming fish or 50 year durability.

• Moderators

This is disappointing news.

On the other hand - look at the time and effort I will save between now and the May Oliver Rally in NOT having to clean those nasty black streaks.  Maybe after the folks at Oliver actually see how bad this looks, they will be inclined to either look for another supplier or be a bit more vociferous in getting the current supplier to correct the problem.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

From what I am reading: when a problem is mentioned in the forum, they get a lot of calls at the factory. After a while the calls fade. So, if they do nothing, the problem goes away? If the gasket problem is not the factory who makes them, who's problem is it? Is the final answer that they are going to do nothing about it? The black streaks are atmospheric? Not sure about you, but this seems unacceptable...

• Moderators

If the manufacturer isn't going to replace the gaskets it seems like Oliver could just buy a new batch.  I'd be willing to pay to get rid of my streaks.  We're out in the desert right now and I've got some light streaks just from condensation at night.  I've also got some sealant in my Amazon cart that I will order when we start heading home.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I would think that if the manufacturer(s) won't change their product, that it wouldn't be too much trouble for Oliver to have their own made.  They'd have to pay for a die to be cut for each shape, but the incremental cost thereafter shouldn't be much.  They could even do it themselves with a die, a sheet of silicone rubber and a guy with a mallet.  And you'd think that they could probably recoup their initial cost in short order by selling them to existing customers for a small markup.

Online, I can find custom gasket companies with a minimum order of $500, so you have to assume that a die costs less than that.  Depending on the overall cost, it might even be something that a group of owners could organize themselves.

The idea of a "bunch" of owners gathering, to fund and make gaskets is a fun mental image. All to bail out the 'mothersbip', is just a little reach for family members to make.

What was Tommy's role at Oliver? I heard in a newsletter there is a new Sales Manager though they haven't reached out yet. Jason is listed as a Service Manager, there is a purchasing department (I have been told), I think there must be someone in overall charge that can demand a successful $.57 gasket!

• Moderators

My experience with Oliver over the last nine years on warranty items has been exceptional. I'd be surprised if they didn't come up with a solution soon, after learning that the lamp supplier was not going to take care of it. I certainly can't imagine they'd want owners driving around in shiny Olivers with black streaks down the side.

I'm also amazed at the lamp supplier. My experience with camco, fantastic fans, maxxair, and other RV and marine product manufacturers has been that they work quickly to resolve issues, at their expense.

I suspect seeing a new lamp company in Olivers future.

I know Karen and Reed are following this thread. I'll look forward to hearing what they have to say next week, after the Oliver folks have some time to find a new avenue, since their lamp supplier isn't backing their product.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

<p style="text-align: left;">I'd agree with you, canoe12.  Looks like a very well documented warranty issue, to be handled by Oliver.</p>

<p style="text-align: left;">There's a wealth of information in this thread, alone.</p>

<p style="text-align: left;">Sherry</p>

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I was under the impression that Karen and Reed's role were only to make a dash to OTT, to pick up their new unit. They are following this thread as they travel, when they can. We can only assume they will discuss this issue thoroughly and report back. That is how we have read this.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Yes, I meant Karen and Reed Luekens, who are new owners, not Oliver employees, but quite active here. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I am simply hopeful they will hear some current information at the plant in a solution for all of you with defective gaskets and the warranty issue, and share it here with us.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

These are the old style, which I have, and have never had an issue.

06xchb68qtuzztgr3dc1x3yk9q8voqme.jpg.9f6ae9ae49102efa87469b26ecd5a709.jpg

Unlike the shore power connection gasket, which streaks.

This is the newer light they switched to last spring

k1wvsv1zeah5bd6iq97wm0v8am3zo79y.jpg.ae046bd93daa19276ca104afbe6eb213.jpg

The pictures on the main site don't look like they changed since then.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I have hull #98, which was delivered in Sept 2015 to the original owner. As with Try2Relax, I have the old style lights with no streaking, but streaking around the shore power gasket. It's almost like soot. It takes very little moisture to produce the streaks.  Seems like an oxidation problem. The streaks come off easily enough, I just worry about the gasket integrity and water eventually getting behind it and between the hulls.

• Thanks 1

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

For those looking to make their own gaskets, the manufacturer is ITC in Elkhart IN here is a link to the part listing, the middle photo is a dimension drawing that might help. The part number is 69710-CH-6.5K

ITC LINK

For those with the old ones, they are made by Diamond Group and their catalog is full of useful modification items

DG catalog

• Thanks 4

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Actually, the simple fix is to replace them all with the white gasket material. That black has been known to bleed for decades and they've (the manufacturer) had the white material but don't use it because it's more expensive.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II