Rubber Gaskets Around Porch Lights

• Moderators

There are three Olivers here at the Fiberglass Gathering in Quartzsite.  Two of us have the new lights and both have had streaking problems since we picked up.  One has the old lights and he has never had a problem.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

There are three Olivers here at the Fiberglass Gathering in Quartzsite. Two of us have the new lights and both have had streaking problems since we picked up. One has the old lights and he has never had a problem. Mike

The old lights don't have the problem, but after looking at both the old Casita style and then the new, which ones do you think look best?

Then is it worth having the new lights over the old? I'll ask them tomorrow at Oliver about the white replacement gaskets. Manufacturers hate having people bring it up because they cost around 5 times more to make out of the white material. Oliver will probably end up switching the gaskets out themselves hopefully... This problem was discussed 30+ years ago when we were setting Mobile Homes and had the streaking problem with the electrical outlet gaskets. Same crappy cheap black gasket material used today was used back then because of the huge price savings over the white gasket material.

An age old nightmare has now become reoccurring... Lol.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

ccq2vsjj9dyc6pbv7ew272onjup036y6.thumb.jpg.021eddbf06ee59f94c166e52de3c567e.jpg

Was outside today, checked the old style lights. Now I understand why they don't "bleed".

I really hope I don't have to remove the whole fixture to replace the bulb, couple screws and a gasket might be nice...

So those with the gadget, remove the two screws, trim the gasket down and then seal it, the bonus is you've got double protection against water intrusion.

• Thanks 2

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

ccq2vsjj9dyc6pbv7ew272onjup036y6.thumb.jpg.4b685bb86d128087834c2e509d57cc7a.jpg Was outside today, checked the old style lights. Now I understand why they don’t “bleed”. I really hope I don’t have to remove the whole fixture to replace the bulb, couple screws and a gasket might be nice… So those with the gadget, remove the two screws, trim the gasket down and then seal it, the bonus is you’ve got double protection against water intrusion.

Thanks Randy

I guess time will tell but I believe that I've already fixed mine. It took about 30 minutes of my time and as you say I probably will now have double protection against water intrusion. I did not trim the gasket on mine.

I'm fixing to leave for a several months trip and if what I did to fix our problem fails I'll post it here. I'm sure that we will be seeing a lot of different weather conditions along the way.

Once again just my personal opinion and what I did to remedy my own problem. However, there seems to be a lot of other good ideas about this subject on this forum.

Hap

• Thanks 1

Houston, we have a problem.  I read yesterday that silicon would harm fiberglass.   My streaking did not start immediately after pickup.  It seems to have started ths fall on all 4 lights.    It might be useful if we find a way to poll owners to see how many have the problem.

We need to determine  what the nature of the problem and how many customers have it.  I have never had this happen in a lifetime of owning RVs.  If  Oliver is asking us to represent them to new prospects, they need to step up and get to the cause and  supply a remedy.   They are in a better position to pressure the vendor to investigate why this is happening.  Presently, they are treating customer complaints about this as a nuisance.  I now believe the only reasonable solution is replacement gaskets once the cause of this problem is identified.  I would prefer that any replacement be installed by Oliver.   If they need to see the problem first hand, I will drive to the plant.   Sorry for rambling.

• Thanks 1

I just went over to a local company - BROTHERS RESEARCH CORPORATION which makes the Duragloss line of car care products.  I spoke with Jerry Bailey one of the owners.   Told him that first 5 or 6 months no problem and streaking thereafter.   He thinks that it is a classic case of the rubber that has not been cured properly (baked) during manuafacturing.   You may have the problem but not get any streaking until the gasket ages.  I am thinking about sending this information to the proper person a Oliver with a list of trailers that have the problem and ask that they provide  a remedy preferably replacement at factory or replacement gasket sent to owner if requested.   This is not a problem related to salt air.  It is a problem between Oliver and the supplier.  We all love our trailers to death - these things happen and I trust that Oliver will do the right thing.  Text me your trailer number (140) if you want me to include it.  Any suggestions as to whom I should address the letter????   I will post a copy of what I send on the forum.

• Moderators

I sent Jason a link to this thread yesterday, so that he could see the large number of people affected.

I heard back from him, saying that he would respond in the forum. He is still working with the manufacturer.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I have such a speed issue with the forum today that it's hard to even open posts.

I believe Jason is involved in the Luekens' trailer delivery today.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

BugBite,

As I am sure you know, this forum is primarily used by Ollie owners and prospective owners to share information and help each other learn how to maximize their enjoyment while camping.  Occasionally unexpected issues may crop up and we all pitch in to "crowd source" a fix when appropriate.

While some members of the Oliver staff may be members of the forum, their busy duties with Oliver Travel Trailers (OTT) do not permit them to hover over the forum to "be on the lookout" for issues.  Occasionally an owner will contact the factory to discuss an issue and then share what they have learned here, on the forum.  It has been a nice flow of information that benefits all.

If you have a specific expectation of OTT regarding your trailer delivery it is best to contact the sales department and specifically tell them your needs.  That way you will be assured they received your message.  Do not assume that simply because you have expressed your desires in this forum, the factory knows about it.  This does not mean your "are taking the lead", but rather, you are communicating effectively to maximize your delivery experience.

I would suggest you call them direct to share your concerns.

Good luck,

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

I reread my post. I believe I need to add some clarification here.

I sent the link to Jason because I know that Oliver employees rarely visit our forum, except for the forum administrator who maintains the software of our site.

I felt it would be helpful to Jason to read the wealth of detailed experience of our members, and be able to share that information with his vendor.

I did not mean that members who have a problem with the gaskets should refrain from writing letters or emails with supporting detail, and photos. On the contrary, in my experience in working with my vendors, I found that the more information that was given me by my customers, in writing, the easier it was to resolve the problem with my vendors. Email works best for me, as it's easier to group and sort, and maintain a timeline, now that I am retired and on the "other side of the desk." And, easier for follow-up.

As Jason will likely be sharing this thread with his vendor, as he works through the problem experienced by so many, keeping our posts factual and concise, as we have seen by the owners on this thread who have the faulty gaskets, will be of benefit.

We all realize that you have a concern, bugbite. That's perfextly understandable. However, after nine years of ownership, and wonderful after the sale service from Oliver, I am confident that Oliver will handle this issue, as well. Let's just make it easier for everyone to read the thread, and keep to the facts and details.

Thanks

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I reread my post. I believe I need to add some clarification here.

I sent the link to Jason because I know that Oliver employees rarely visit our forum, except for the forum administrator who maintains the software of our site.

I felt it would be helpful to Jason to read the wealth of detailed experience of our affected members, and be able to share that information with his vendor.

I did not mean that members who have a problem with the gaskets should refrain from writing letters or emails with supporting detail, and photos. On the contrary, in my experience in working with my vendors, I found that the more information that was given me by my customers, in writing, the easier it was to resolve the problem with my vendors. Email works best for me, as it's easier to group and sort, and maintain a timeline, now that I am retired and on the "other side of the desk." And, easier for follow-up.

As Jason may choose to share this thread with his vendor, as he works through the problem experienced by so many, keeping our posts factual and concise, as we have seen by the owners on this thread will be of benefit.

We all realize that you have a concern, bugbite. That's perfectly understandable. However, after nine years of ownership, and wonderful after the sale service from them, I am confident that Oliver will handle this issue, as well.

Let's just make it easier for everyone to read the thread, and keep to the facts and details.

Thanks

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Nothing to add that we already don't know. Oliver is being stuck with the gaskets by the manufacturer... End of story with no solution yet.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

We washed and started waxing our Ollie yesterday.  After we finish waxing the Ollie today, will start work making a new white gasket for the Furrion 110V external power receptacle. Using fiberglass boat cleaner/wax with UV protection, removes any stains found on our Ollie.

Last month purchased White 1/8" thick Neoprene FDA food grade 12X12" sheet made by Allstate Gasket from Amazon. Will work on the gasket this afternoon and post if I'm successful or not with the project tomorrow.  If successful will post photos, too. Since we have the old style LED porch lights, don't have issues with ours, but assume gaskets could be made for the late model porch lights, too.

Next Ollie project is to repack wheel bearings and replace wheel seals. This will have our Ollie ready to camp for this season and looking forward to more Ollie adventures!!!!!!

• Like 1

Bill #75 LE2

Put this project in front of the waxing the Ollie today.

Cut out white 1/8" neoprene gasket material, installed and looked good, but failed to seal properly during water test. Reason for failure, the 1/8" gasket material is slightly harder (higher durometer) than the original gasket. It's also slightly thicker than the original by 1/32", thickness may not contribute to failure.

My hands got plenty of black residue on them while handling the original black gasket. Decided to wash gasket with hot water & tooth brush. All of the black residue came off of the original gasket and it quit bleeding. Looks like if the black gaskets are washed when you have the bleeding issue, it appears to stop bleeding. Had to be careful and gently cross tighten the Furrion 110V outlet during installation to have a complete seal around the outlet.

Can't predict long term results for washing the gasket, but I'm done with this project for now and going to finish waxing the Ollie before it rains tomorrow. :)

Failed white gasket installation:

IMG_2201-M.jpg

Cleaned black gasket re-installed:

IMG_2202-M.jpg

• Thanks 4

Bill #75 LE2

I'm thinking that either just a clear coat over it will be enough or silicone. Honestly, I don't see it as an issue that I can't easily fix. It would have been nice if Oliver was ready with their fix, but they need time to research it and will have a permanent fix soon enough.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

• Service Manager

I wanted to let everyone know that I have posted in the Technical Service Bulletins area in regards to the black streaks issue. I will be posting in this new section as I become aware of any new issues and updating as I get new information.

I would also like to thank all of our customers for helping me with new issues as they arise and would like to continue getting feedback from everyone.

• Thanks 5

----------------

Jason D. Essary

OLIVER SERVICE

228 Industrial Ave

Hohenwald, TN 38462

Phone: (888) 526-3978

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm CST

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distri­bution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and delete the message and any file attachments from your computer.

Login to Service Portal: https://support.olivertraveltrailers.com/portal/en/home

Thanks for the photos and update. Anything to watch out for when removing the fixture, or is it self explanatory once you get into it?

GrayGhost,

I always do everything the hard way the first time for some reason.  :)

In hind sight the easy way to clean the gasket is to remove the screws securing the fixture, ease the fixture off of the hull and clean and wash the gasket without disconnecting the wires, also preventing water from entering the hull.  I was careful securing the fixture by cross tightening the screws, drawing the fixture down evenly while the gasket is compressed evenly between the fixture and hull to prevent damage to the fixture and hull.  Hope that makes sense.

• Thanks 2

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderators

We have been camping this week in Joshua Tree NP and there are no cell towers to be seen!  Now that we're back in civilization I'm catching up on the goings on here....

As the originator of this thread, here are my thoughts.  The streaking is an annoyance and not something I'm worked up over.  I was curious if it was just me or if there were others.  I did contact Jason about it and he said they are working it.  Good enough for me.  I will be working my own solution in the mean time as soon as we get home.  There are some good ideas in this thread.

We showed our trailer multiple times last week in Quartzsite.  A quick wipe got rid of the streaks.

I don't assume that the folks at OTT read all the post on this forum. As was pointed out, this is mainly for owners and guests wanting to learn and explore.  I've had other trailer issues that I went directly to Tommy and Jason with via email, text and phone calls and always got good results.  OTT customer service is top notch.  Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The problem with the gaskets is definitely not salty air. I live in Colorado and we don't get much of that up here. My gaskets started to 'bleed' black back last May, one month after picking up the 2016 trailer from Hohenwald. This was in Moab, UT after a night of heavy rain. I have been able to remove the black streaks through normal washing so while I wasn't overly concerned about it then, I am concerned now. Yesterday I paid a visit to my trailer in winter storage and found that the black streaks were present again. This is in the Denver area. We haven't had much precip all winter and the trailer went into storage with the outside washed and waxed with Meguiar's Premium products. The gaskets are definitely deteriorating. Until Oliver comes up with a fix, I would be interested in some of your temporary measures (silicone sealer of some type, maybe?)

Hans Fischl

0215171518.thumb.jpg.867ae8fe3d637449b429e7d5d8b9b081.jpg

AZCOILINKSKYMOMTNETNUTWYsm.jpg

OTD

Former Owner Of  2016 Legacy Elite II Hull#138

2017 Silverado 2500HD High Country Duramax

Wow, quite a thread for gaskets! Sorry this has been an issue. I have the older style lights and have had no problems. Don't know if this has already been tried, but if I had this problem, I would first clean the gaskets with denatured alcohol and then coat them completely with whichever quality paste wax you use on your Ollie. Two coats minimum. If that didn't work, then I would consider the silicones. Hopefully Oliver will find a replacement as those currently used are pretty bad.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

Wild huh Dave? IF OTT had taken seriously way back the first say 2 reported problems this would have been over almost before it started. Far fewer 2016-17 models would have been produced ala black gaskets. But…. that was then and this is NOW. We are NOW as of Tuesday the next in the queue for pickup. Of course (unless he is not at work) we will find out the progress or lack thereof. I feel sure as Buzzy’s inference was… it is not like wine that ages well. Now it is becoming vinegar (isn’t there a Bible story about that?) Excuse me non-believers… <ducking see our profile> But NOW according to Jason is not the time. They are now getting samples from another supplier. Where this process is in is anyone’s guess. ————————————————— A PM (not really needs to stay that way) on Wednesday netted this between myself and Jason at J’s request to inquire:

Jason, so will the new white/clear silicon gaskets be installed in our Oliver Hull 196 by before Tuesday 21st at 10 AM? We really don’t want the black seals from the get go. A “permanent” solution no leaks, no silicon daps etc? P….

We are working with a rubber materials company on some different materials but I don’t think we will have any of them here by then. Also we will need to test them to know which one will work. We very may get the new gaskets and after testing find that some of them leave black streaks. We will have to test to find what will work to ensure that they keep dust and water out but also do not leave black streaks.

Why using are you using black? Or are you? Black will streak because of the carbon content. You really need to go with white or clear silicon composition. Please advise.

The manufacturer of the light only offers black. Their stance is that there is nothing wrong with the gasket so we are taking matters into our own hands to get some different gaskets made to find a solution.

Forget black. Bad memories don’t you think? Remember we are just 4 hours away and could be first for retrofit Black obviously left a bad taste in the effected TT Owners. According to the thread people have located white. Not to mention the white would add to the streamlined shape. Check the thread.

————————————————— Sooo as of 02/15 this is where we are folks. Again we know that Oliver can solve this…. Mabe, the BC Rocket Scientist says so. J agrees this will take sometime to test and make sure they have a “permanent solution” system-wide. This may turn out to be a case-by-case basis. Shirley? we are talking silicon gaskets non-black that are guaranteed not to leak the life time of our cherished Olivers. For instance we may be the most fortunate because we live only 4 hours away and certainly would enjoy (if we had to) coming to the factory for the proven solution retrofit. Now folks like the gent that says he is too old to climb up on a ladder and is far, far away this is another ballgame. As of Tues our dear Oliver, Smokey will be in the elements for at least 1 month until we get our spot in indoor storage. Anyone ever see the Charter commercial? Does it rain in Ohio? <grin> Not only does this take on so many fun (OK not fun) (Houston we had a problem) metaphors is reality. YEP we have had a very wet winter and probably will have our typical wet Spring here in TN. For again some perspective from the Guidebook for all humanity from our loving Triune: Search Results Showing 1 – 3 of 3 search results for ” mountains sea ” http://www.biblestudytools.com/search/?s=bibles&q=mountains+sea&t=esv&c=all Let’s keep this in perspective. Yeah, it’s far from ideal, it should never have happened given especially the high price of our Elites but it did. This will work out to all of our advantages in the end by the grace of patience and providence. But… shall I say… “rain falls” http://www.biblestudytools.com/search/?s=bibles&q=rain+falls+&t=esv&c=all Or as my dearest now Saint Mother-in-law said, “What is it worth?” Patience is a virtue and the hardest part about loving. This will all work out the way it was meant to… trust in God. ~P

Sometimes you really do take things a little to far...

It's not rocket science here, I talked to Jason today and they are experimenting with new gaskets. Really all it takes is a little clear coat to seal it and that's what I told him that I would do if I feel the need. The new lights are great looking compared to the old ones, but I'm sure they would put the old lights on yours if you asked... This really isn't the big deal that some of you have made it out to be.

But I'm kicking back on this thread anyway because it's pretty pointless now. Oliver knows about it, so give them the time to do their job. Stop with the jabs and let it go...

• Thanks 3

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderator+

I agree with Reed. This horse has been ridden until it has fallen down and I am going to consider it dead. This was never a deal breaker and if anyone considered it so, perhaps another brand trailer would suit you better. Jason has stated they are "working on it." Accept that (or not) but move on.

• Thanks 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg