Spring over axle lift

John E Davies

There were three reasons that it didn't work - 1) they said the stability was questionable just moving it around the factory, 2) because of my hitch config, the trailer already travels nose down a bit even with a 4" rise on my hitch, and 3) it looked totally silly.

I also think that a lift would make the trailer more difficult to level - not a huge deal, but you'd have to carry some extra blocks I think.  Also an extra step to get in and out.

That was a 4", maybe 5" lift, so obviously something lower would mitigate all of the above.

CA6D5F3F-6962-4D44-8E75-87B68BA27148.thumb.jpg.67fc8664cc4a55cfa332eeb86c6475b8.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Overland thanks for the pic, I agree that the full lift looks pretty dorky and unstable. OTH...

I am still anxiously waiting a thread about your off-road tongue jack.....

18B02F4F-5355-43F8-88B5-13EE4BD6FE92.jpeg.d76a8d3f1ea07c84345f95f6b3b5ccbc.jpeg

Please.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone considered the trailer sumo springs?  They mount to the side of the leaf spring/axel bracket.  Maybe there is enough room.  Since I don't have my Oliver yet, I can't measure the available distance.  Conversely, the sumo springs might be trimmed to allow for the proper fit.

https://www.supersprings.com/instructions/INS_TSS-106-40.pdf

Jason and Sonja are located in western Wyoming near Pinedale, WY.

Oliver Elite II #609 (2020)

TV: 2017 Ram 3500

On 1/27/2020 at 6:01 AM, wyofilm said:

Has anyone considered the trailer sumo springs?  They mount to the side of the leaf spring/axel bracket.  Maybe there is enough room.  Since I don't have my Oliver yet, I can't measure the available distance.  Conversely, the sumo springs might be trimmed to allow for the proper fit.

https://www.supersprings.com/instructions/INS_TSS-106-40.pdf

That is essentially a light add-on overload spring. There is probably room for it but it doesn’t alter the severe lack of upward travel (about 1.5” on my moderately loaded trailer.)

BTW these trailers do not need stiffer overload springs, but they absolutely need longer wheel travel, plus a little better ground clearance. The first time you smack a deep pothole at high speed you will wonder if you broke something when the axle ubolts crash into the subframe....it is frightening. The Sumo Springs would probably help a little but I can’t see them being truly effective. However, if you flipped the axles, those would make dandy bump stops.

Maybe somebody could field test them and report back. Thanks for posting that...

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 11 months later...
On 5/14/2019 at 4:05 AM, Overland said:

There were three reasons that it didn't work - 1) they said the stability was questionable just moving it around the factory, 2) because of my hitch config, the trailer already travels nose down a bit even with a 4" rise on my hitch, and 3) it looked totally silly.

I also think that a lift would make the trailer more difficult to level - not a huge deal, but you'd have to carry some extra blocks I think.  Also an extra step to get in and out.

That was a 4", maybe 5" lift, so obviously something lower would mitigate all of the above.

CA6D5F3F-6962-4D44-8E75-87B68BA27148.thumb.jpg.67fc8664cc4a55cfa332eeb86c6475b8.jpg

you may have notice a few million of these "lifted" trailers on the roads before... obviously they are closer to 5th wheels than Ollies, but why are they stable and this lifted Oliver is not?  does the king pin make that much difference?  

JG_042920_1-2048x1152.jpg

Stoughton_PureBlue_Side_View__1_.5d3733a389896.png

Edited by Rsb