The Oliver Awning

dougi

Can someone tell me about the awning? I am familiar with the manual awnings on fifth wheels. I have one on my RV, but I don't use it much. It has to be put up if it's going to rain or if the win gets up a bit. They are heavy and require a lot of cleaning. My awning can be taken down or put up in less than two minutes. It requires setting up no polls, as they are integral and attached to the side of the RV.

It looks to me as if the awnings on the Oliver require that two polls be set up to support the awning and that those polls would require staking out with cords and ground stakes.

Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult it is to set up and take down the awning and whether or not it is worth the cost and the weight. Will the awning, once it is set up, tolerate 20 mph winds and rain? I was thinking that if I have to stake out the awning with two poles, I might as well carry a screen room and delete the awning. That would give me protection from the insects, unavailable with the awning.

Any thoughts to share about this issue?

• Moderator+

One person can put the awning up in a couple of minutes. The support poles can either be placed on the ground (and staked, if necessary) or secured back to the side of the Oliver. I have only had our Oliver a week and have only put it up once. I have never put one up before. I found it to be very easy.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

DougI, like you, I sometimes worry about an awning and impending weather. However if we have company over for dominoes or grand kids in wet bathing suits, the awning and a sunscreen is a very nice thing.

It is quick to go up and down in a very short period of time. 8-)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Hi DougI,

The awning used on the Oliver has been around for awhile and is really well made and easy to use. :D Marketed by Fiamma and Horizon, it should be gotten from and installed by Oliver. I bought a used Casita without an awning and the only 'local' who would touch the installation was Camping World and buying and having them install it was much more than the factory installation! :cry:

Regards, Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

This is Betty & I touring a 2007 Oliver at the River Valley Egg Rally I, it was being shown by Jared Rose. We decided that Oliver was for us after this viewing !

S6300024.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Wow! Thanks for posting that picture. I can't be sure, but it looks as if the awning is not a fabric type set up and that it is in the shape of a V. It looks as if the awning has structural sides.

I can see some polls that have have not been deployed in that photo. Does the awning, when fully extended, form a square or rectangular shape? The awning in that picture does not appear to be fully extended. Am I right or wrong about that? Am I right or wrong about the V shape?

Upon closer inspection of the photo, the V shape appears to be an illusion. I see, in the far left of the photo, another pole, making two poles supporting the awning. However, I still see what appears to be more unused polls back up by the trailer. Also, It looks as if there may be some type of fabric over the awning frame. Would this be water and air permeable polyester-type fabric or a waterproof vinyl fabric?

• Moderators

DougI, although I have used it quite a bit, I don't know what the material is. It is pretty heavy, seems waterproof and is very flexible. The website to get a look at it might the fiamma web site.

http://www.fiamma.com I remember reading about it when we were researching the Oliver, but can't remember the speciffics.

I think it is 10 X 10 feet.

The legs and the brackets fold and roll up in the awning. There is a brace rafter that stores in the closet with the crank, untill ready to use.

The legs will go either on the trailer or the ground.

Awning fabrics are of two primary types: Vinyl coated, to shed rain AND sun, and polyester to block the sun but not the rain. The polyester allows hot air to rise up through the top of the awning (the fabric) and is noticeably cooler than the waterproof material, especially in the absence of a breeze.

You mentioned a crank. Can you tell me if the awning can be cranked out and cranked back up, or does it have to be extended and retracted by unrolling and rolling it back up with your hands, like the awnings on pop-up trailers? If you use a crank, do you deploy the crank inside the trailer or outside the trailer? Do you have to use guy ropes, perhaps two per pole, to anchor your awning support poles, or are they self-supporting unless the wind is high?

• Moderators

Doug,

Here's a photo of the Wonder Egg with the awning out:

DSC_0053_2.jpg

When I was at the Texas Bluebonnet Casita Rally, I saw a number of trailers with a great sunscreen with tiedowns. I was told it was made by a Casita owner that goes by the screen name RX. Here's a link to her page that has photos of her sunscreen. You could PM her for more information on prices. The screen and tiedown system protects the awning during heavy wind conditions. She also makes a side screen which provides even more protection.

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index. ... entry12432

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Just went to the Fiamma site. Love the sides on the awning. Does anyone with an Oliver have those? Some people carry those little tents with sides, but this looks so convenient.

I also like the idea of a bike rack on the trailer. I bet Oliver would put one on if I asked???

• Moderators

The Oliver awning is about as simple to deploy as any manual awning available. Paul can deploy it in less than five minutes... by himself. If I help, it can be longer :P

The crank is manual, but very smooth, and used from the outside. We store the crank handle vertically,inside beside the door on velcro, next to the center "rafter" mount provided by Oliver. The side supports slide up, then swing inward, and store on the outside of the trailer when not in use. The awning is strong enough to deal with a light breeze, but we set up a couple little simple tie downs (Walmart, a few bucks) if there's a chance of rain or wind, and roll the awning in at least partway, if not fully,if the winds kick up a lot... As with any awning, it's like a big sail.

The tubing between the trailer and the awning pretty much eliminates drips or rain coming in between the trailer and the awning... nice. Our little awning provides shade, and a nice little patio in a moderate rain, allowing us to be out of doors in unpleasant weather, too. Keeps our chairs & table dry...(We set the awning up with a slight slant on one side to let the water run off two sides.) A very nice feature... and one we wouldn't want to travel without.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.