Safe towing speeds

geO

Greetings folks, I have a quick question. I'll be taking delivery of my Oliver in April and currently will be towing it with a 2006 f250 6.0 and was wondering with the 16" LT tires what are the safe speeds recommended for towing?

Thank you!

Whatever the posted maximum trailer towing speed. The tires are good for any legal and sane speeds. I personally would keep it at 65, but that is for fuel consumption more than safety. I certainly would never exceed 70. I cringe when I see big diesel pickups flying down the freeway at 80+ mph with a trailer in tow. It is very risky.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

My regular highway speeds are 60-65, but on occasion I will look down and see I'm doing 70, hardly even feel it, so time to back off. Pulling with a Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

I agree with John. The Oliver Elite II tows and tracks so well that it can give you a false sense of confidence. I have no doubt that you could tow your Oliver safely at 75 mph if you were the only vehicle on the road, there was no wildlife around, and the road was wide and flat. The problems you may encounter in the real world are other drivers doing the unexpected, a curve that tightens more than you anticipated, a deer running in front of you, etc. Emergency braking, steering to avoid an obstacle on the road, etc. are much different when you are towing.

On interstate highways, I typically tow at 65 mph maximum. On two-lane highways, I tow between 55 mph and 60 mph, depending on the speed limit and conditions. Recently, I drove the final 60 miles or so to the Chisos Basin Campground at 45 mph because of very high winds. I could have driven 55 mph, but I was much more comfortable at a lower speed.

John mentions gas mileage. I see a significant difference in gas mileage when I tow at 55 rather than 65. Another factor is a feeling of relaxation. I hope you are on the road with your Oliver to relax and get away. Traveling at a leisurely rate will help you relax. I towed my Ollie around 8,000 miles last year and by mid-February, I will have towed over 2,000 already this year. I plan my travels so I travel a maximum of 350 miles per day and often, once I'm in an area I plan to enjoy, I may not travel more than 100 miles from place to place.

Don

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

I agree with all of the above.  I keep it at or below 65 on the interstate.  Usually slower on 2 lane roads.  I'm not in a big rush, my gas mileage is decent and I feel there is more of a margin of safety.  Even in west Texas where the speed limit is 80, 65 feels right.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS