Wrenches...what do you carry in your tool box?

Mainiac

• Moderator+

Any and Every thing that I think that myself or someone else might possibly need. I do, however, generally leave the welder at home. If I can't fix it on the road, we probably should head home.

Realistically, should take what you would normally use at home. You don't want to have to pay someone to fix something simply for lack of the correct tool.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Basically #1 is always an Angle Grinder - https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE402-2-Inch-11-Amp-Grinder/dp/B00RVZ7DNO/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1486267373&sr=1-3&keywords=Angle+Grinder

And the list grows from there... ½" drill & bits, ½" Impact Wrench & 2 full sets of Sockets, 24"pipe wrench, 2 - 8", 12", 16", & 1 - 24" Crescent Wrench... 2' Bubble Level, Grease Gun, Sierra Blaster, Gold Cube Trommel, Metal Detectors, Gold pans, & tons more... But I will be making videos of everything soon enough once I get my basement or tool crib in order. I love being able to build things or do projects or just go gold panning when camping and I have a ton of friends scattered all over that do the same :)

Sierra Blaster

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Basically #1 is always an Angle Grinder – https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE402-2-Inch-11-Amp-Grinder/dp/B00RVZ7DNO/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1486267373&sr=1-3&keywords=Angle+Grinder And the list grows from there… ½” drill & bits, ½” Impact Wrench & 2 full sets of Sockets, 24″pipe wrench, 2 – 8″, 12″, 16″, & 1 – 24″ Crescent Wrench… 2′ Bubble Level, Grease Gun, Sierra Blaster, Gold Cube Trommel, Metal Detectors, Gold pans, & tons more… But I will be making videos of everything soon enough once I get my basement or tool crib in order. I love being able to build things or do projects or just go gold panning when camping and I have a ton of friends scattered all over that do the same ? Sierra Blaster

You know, it is very interesting to see that you do extensive mining and have sophisticated tools that the average trailer owner could not even imagine in his dreams, or perhaps afford, but the info is neither constructive nor applicable to the thread in any way that I can see.... what exactly was your point?

I suggest that an owner buy a small military style canvas tool bag ....  https://www.amazon.com/Northstar-Mil-Spec-Mechanics-Tool/dp/B00GGHOQP6 ... and a set of 4 pouches .... https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-5140-Canvas-Zipper/dp/B000MKDUKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486310682&sr=8-1&keywords=klein+tools+canvas+tool+bag ... and then start filling it up with as wide an assortment of basic SAE and metric hand tools as you can. The pouches neatly fit in the bag (vertically, zipper up), do not tear like freezer bags, and allow you to carry all the small stuff like sockets without having them all fall to the bottom. You can lable the bags SAE, Metric, Pliers, etc for easy identification. Big stuff like a crescent wrench, short handled 4 lb sledge hammer, punches and big screwdrivers all ride on the bottom. A small stack of rags on top completes the setup. That will give you an easily carried and useful kit that will help with most routine and emergency work on both trailer and TV. The soft bag means it can't slide and bang around and it is super easy to move between vehicles.

In a storage compartment of your Ollie, or in the TV if you have space, add a 1/2 drive impact socket set and some big wrenches, and an electric impact gun ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWFIKJA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=77ELCXYF0Y8I&coliid=I1SI14Q3H1M8YZ ... and you should be OK.

This assumes that you have the ability and basic skill needed to use them. Of course you need a lube and spares kit too. Fuses, Wheel bearing grease and a bearing kit for one hub, nylon ties small and large, and some pipe fittings and hose clamps are essential. Everything else is whatever floats your boat. ;)

The further you venture away from help, the more stuff you need to add to your tool set.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I’m curious what the angle grinder is for. I’ve never had a breakdown on the road and thought, if only…

While I have never needed a grinder, I could have used a boulder blasting setup a few times. Though I doubt that the Feds would approve. I think it's only legal on private land..... it doesn't really fit into the Tread Lightly, Leave No Trace philosophy.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

It always seems like when I'm working on something that an angle grinder would have been nice to have. When we picked up our Casita, the bumper had a rough edge where you put the sewer hose and could easily slice a hand if left that way, so out came the grinder. For smoothing edges, rounding off sharp corners, removing  some splatter spots from welding... And then you get to your gate and there's your lock on the ground... And the Forest Service has accidently locked you out of either you or a friends place... Out comes the angle grinder, throw on a cut off wheel and take a link out of the chain so that you can drive the FS lock over to them so that they can unlock it and then it can be put back in the right way... That's happened so many times out here, some people with a Forest Service key just don't pay attention to where their locks fit into the system. And it's used by Fire Fighters, Sheriffs, emergency vehicles, etc. and the gate wouldn't be there if the Forest Service hadn't required it... I finally just started carrying an angle grinder because it's the handiest tool for doing any metal work in the field. A stripped bolt can be shaped and saved in an emergency in the field. Rounding off another campers trailer hitch and helping others remove shards of metal that have cut someone is where it comes into play mostly. I've used it so many times now that it has it's home under the seat of the car. The 24" pipe wrench I've used many times at Rallies to change out and repair rusted tow balls for others and it simply sits under the seat, ready to use anytime you just can't find that other wrench or if you need one for back up. It is kind of funny seeing that 24" pipe wrench on a little 6-32 nut... but it works plus it can be used to straighten out the steel bumpers when you've backed into a pole or you found that piece of rebar holding the cement parking bumper has come up out of the ground and is now part of your car... Then that sharp piece of metal on the nut from a stripped thread is there and out comes the grinder again... Like Steve, I don't carry a welder... most of the time. When I see people broke down or in an accident, I'm the guy that pulls over and does what he can to help, where so many just drive by not wanting to get involved. I grew up a Fireman's son and became one when I turned 18 :)

Obviously I was joking on the Sierra Blaster but for taking that one troublesome rock out of someones driveway, I've ended up using it for road work in driveways many times. Friends always ask me to bring it if needed and it is 100% legal because the charges are small and self contained and it's been approved for use without a license by the ATF. There always seems to be that one rock in  peoples driveways that sticks up... And after digging down 4 feet and the rock becomes a huge boulder that has no end and keeps growing, shaving 3" to 6" off of the top takes that bump out of the driveway.

So John, you said, "the info is neither constructive nor applicable to the thread in any way that I can see…. what exactly was your point?" The point is... I'm usually helping others and prepared to do what it takes :)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

I like their heavy rubber chocks, too. And, of course, the free flashlights, tape measures, and screwdriver sets. The blue two way led light can with the hook is great. I can hang it off my jacket, carry it, or hang it in the unlit privvies. Can't beat the price.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

That makes me smile. :)

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Picked up a new 24″ breaker bar today at Harbor Freight for 8.99 (coupon). The chrome must have cost almost that much. They also had breaker bars, with rachets built in. Interesting…

Canoe12,

Purchased an 18" 1/2" drive Breaker Bar from Harbor Freight, keep it with a short extension and 3/4" deep well socket for Ollie lug nuts.

• Thanks 1

LE2