Mudflaps on the trailer

John E Davies

Has anyone done this? Anita told me that they did install one set on a Canada bound Ollie since they are required by law there. The owner brought by a set and the gang installed it there at delivery time.

This is going to be one of my very first projects. I think that the rear (side) water connections and, more importantly, the rear stabilizer shafts need protection from road spray and thrown debris.

I plan to install big ones behind the rear wheels and also some long strips clear across the trailer, in front of the front axle, to stop the suspension and axle tubes from being sand blasted. The latter are simple enough since you can just hang them directly off a frame cross rail. You can buy fabric reinforced material in big sheets made from recycled tires at any urban rubber products supplier. The 1/8 inch stuff is fine for most uses but it is very flexible, so it will sail at higher speeds. Something like this:

34e12eab3f9aadc555211df369cf000f.jpg

That is actually good for the flaps under the trailer - you want the flaps to ride at a steep angle to the road (up to 45 degrees) so that stones will bounce down onto the road and not back toward the TV. This is why Rock Tamers are supposed to be adjusted so that they are not hanging straight down.

http://www.rubbercal.com/industrial-rubber/heavy-duty-rubber/cloth-inserted-sbr-70a.html

A thicker size would probably be better behind the tires. Those might be more difficult to design and they will require some brackets. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or pictures. Getting them to clear the jacks and also to extend out far enough to catch stuff thrown off the tires will be the problem.

Jason is supposed to be working on figuring this out, but I don't think he is really motivated, as I am ;)

Please discuss.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John,

We had flaps installed by Oliver on our 2008, either in 2008 or 2009,  but they are pretty small. I'm sure they do some good, but how much, I don't know. I don't think they're what you'd want on your bigger trailer. Ours are attached with rivets. Neither Jason nor Anita were around then.

Thanks for the pointer on the rock tamers. We've used ours for 9 years at the incorrect angle.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry, the Rock Tamer info is not present in the US instructions, unless they recently added it. The Australian ones definitely warn about this issue.

" PERFORMANCE:

The static angle of the flaps can be increased up to 35 degrees from the vertical. This will enhance the performance of the flaps and help eliminate the chance of stones re-bounding back onto the tow vehicle. When traveling the flaps need to be sitting at about 45 degrees to be effective. Adjusting the static angle will help achieve this."

http://rvtowingsolutions.com.au/product-details/rock-tamers-instruction-manual

I also added strips above the regular flaps, in contact with the bumper, in an attempt to fill the gap and stop stones from accumulating on top of my bumper. I used the cut-off 2 inch strips of rubber from when I trimmed the RTs originally. Even with them flying at an angle and with the added filler strips, I am not impressed with them and am eager to get a Stone Stomper for my future Ollie.

My big objection to most mud flaps is that if they are long enough to provide decent coverage, say extending to within 4 inches of the ground, if you hit a dip in the (gravel) road at speed, they kick up a momentary and very ferocious rooster tail of rocks. If you run them higher, they just don't stop enough stones the rest of the time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John, you are correct. The US instructions, at least for our two sets of rocktamers, didn't give that info. When I googled your statement, it took me to an Aussie site.

The Aussies really know camping. And protection. And, from our experience there, they are just about the nicest, kindest campers we've ever met. Our two trips camping down under are some of our best memories. Ever.

They know how to make it work. Tiny foldout trailers become tents for ten. Imaginative Jeep top campers. Camper vans. All terrain truck conversions.

We only saw a handful of American style sunblocker class a  motorhomes, because they just don't fit many places we go. And, can't get there. We rented a basic camper van, and were so very happy with it. Ordered an Aussie GPS and a portapotty from the US for pickup in Sydney, and were in the blue mountains by dinnertime the first day, last time.

Can't wait to go back

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The Aussies really know camping. And protection. And, from our experience there, they are just about the nicest, kindest campers we’ve ever met. Our two trips calming down under are some of our best memories. Ever. They know how to make it work.  

Cool, I visited with my wife and two very young kids in 2002 for ten days and we all loved it. We lived by camping out of the back of a Ford Falcon - the caravan parks are simply wonderful and at that time the exchange rate was extremely favorable so everything was dirt cheap. Ballarat and Sovereign Hill town are fantastic.

Australia-034-Ballarat-Sovereign-Hill-2002.thumb.jpg.70b166f55f75ffc0e71444b54f17fd48.jpg

The Blue Mountains are neat, we all went rough horseback riding there.

In your trips there do you recall seeing a Stone Stomper or similar ballistic cloth guard on a caravan, and can you comment on the design? I really want one. Nobody in this country really has a clue about them...

We have been manufacturing the Stone Stomper® stone guard for over 6 years, but have spent over 9 years testing the trapeze style stone guard as part of our travels around Australia. To date we have travelled over 200,000 kms using the Stone Stomper® with virtually no stone damage to our car or van. This includes the Gibb River Road, Cape Leveque, Tanami Desert, Donohue Highway/Plenty, Buchanan Highway, Gawler Ranges, Murray Sunset National Park just to name a few. Our most recent trip took us from Adelaide through Tibooburra via the dog fence up to Lawn Hill NP and Kingfisher Kamp. Coming home we travelled the Savannah Way and ended our trip with a trek along the Darling River Run. 5,000km of great out back dirt roads and no stone damage.

A key benefit of the Stone Stomper® is it not only protects the vehicle but the complete A frame, gas bottles, gas and brake cables, coupling and the front of the van. It also stops tar stains on the van from the bitumen and in the wet, keeps the front of the van clean from road spray thrown up from the tow vehicle deflecting to the ground.

Stone Stomper® is not just for off road. How many times do you come across road works on the bitumen with wet tar and stones only to be diverted to a dirt bypass. You may not plan to go off road on your trip but your plans may change along the way as my Dad found out on a recent 3 month trip up to North Queensland. He had no plans to do any dirt roads with his new on road Jayco Sterling. Along the way however, he was told a 'must see' was Lawn Hill National park requiring a 180km of dirt roads. He was glad he had fitted a Stone Stomper® before he left, keeping his car and van looking new.

The mesh is not shade cloth, but a reinforced ONE PIECE Truck Mesh that is manufactured by our professional canvas makers. Each order is custom made to fit individual measurements ensuring maximum protection. All metal work is laser cut and electroplated for durability.

http://stonestomper.com.au

Could you please start a new thread or provide a link to your Australia trips? I would love to see a few pictures, well, no, lots and lots of them! Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

• Moderators

John,

I didn't see a stone stomper, though I have researched them, and really want one.

I did see a number of unique front trailer guards of something like packing quilts , attached to the front of trailers. I think I have some photos, but not on my phone. I vwill have to research

I do have to say, camping  in Australia, however you do it, is the best way to meet people, find the best sites, and understand their way of life. I truly think the Aussies camp more than we do. We met the nicest people, everywhere. Remote sites, and campgrounds, we shared conversation and campfires. In tins. Lots of fire bans last time we were there.

Our first night in the blue mountains, we met a great couple from Tasmania. When Paul told him we had reservations later the next month to take the ferry to Tasmania, Kevin gave us directions to a free campsite not far from the ferry landing. We exchanged phone numbers and emails.  Two weeks later, he sent us an email to make sure we were still on schedule, and re iterated his GPS address. Turned out,  His free campsite was his driveway.

We spent two nights enjoying his and his wife's company, one on the way in and one on the way out of Tasmania. Such great people.  We talk to them thru email still.

Australia is to me, like the Midwest, growing up, plus technology. I've said many times, if I had to ever leave the US, I'd go to Tasmania. It's a microcosm of mainland Australia. But more rural, like my background.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

John,

Your kids are so cute. 2002? I missed your photo the last post. Our daughter loves RV and tent camping, because that's how we roll...

We're getting ready right now for a big sailing trip, but I will try to set up the link you requested.

We've been to all 50;states, though lots of things still to see. A few Canadian provinces left. And a few Australian states to see. And half of new Zealand.

There's a relatively new qantas nonstops from Dallas to Sydney on the giant Airbus. It was a great flight. So big and quiet I only knew we took off or landed by looking out the window. Yes, it's about 18 hours, but I slept at least 12 of it. Just an FYI, if you're thinking about doing the trip again.

That's our bucket list, mostly. Other than camping through Iceland in a camper van. Next year?

And visiting my Norwegian relatives again in western Norway.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Honestly, if you can, go.

I would offer to help.  I love camping in the down under. Been there twice, and I can't wait to return.

No, we didn't float the Oliver over.  where we camped, our rented , very basic, Apollo camper van, was enough for two. I looked into it , but too expensive, and impractical to ship the Oliver, plus , the door is on the wrong side. With the shoulder season rates, and 35 plus days discount, there is absolutely no reason to try to bring a foreign camper to down under.

Not to mention, all kinds of things we take for granted don't exist in Australia.

That would be a much longer post. I m just going with, go if you can. And spend at least six weeks.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...

John - any update on this? I'm interested, if you're having something made. I've also contacted the Stone Stomper guys - they gave me the same info packet as you, plus they did the drawing below of how they'd want it to attach to the Ollie. If you're getting one, let me know and maybe we can share shipping cost. We aren't getting our trailer until probably October now, so maybe it won't work out, but if it might, then let me know.

image003.jpg.c3d50ce83bc4b6d6890c05e9fa2951f5.jpg

John – any update on this? I’m interested, if you’re having something made. I’ve also contacted the Stone Stomper guys – they gave me the same info packet as you, plus they did the drawing below of how they’d want it to attach to the Ollie. If you’re getting one, let me know and maybe we can share shipping cost. We aren’t getting our trailer until probably October now, so maybe it won’t work out, but if it might, then let me know.

I haven't heard anything more from Jason about mudflaps (or the suspension lift!) so it looks as if flaps will be my first summer project after I get it back to Spokane, at the beginning of June.

I plan to do some measuring and thinking about the Stone Stomper. I will probably mock one up using some 1 inch pvc pipe and a blue tarp, to see how everything looks and fits. I have some ideas about securing the back corners without drilling into the fiberglass hull, but until I can get my hands on the trailer, and take off the doghouse, they are just ideas.

Their pic shows a cross tube down low, but my idea is to get it six inches higher by bolting it on TOP of the frame. The cover would have to be drilled or notched in two places for clearance. Also, the tube should be three pieces, a center support with two removable wings. They would be stowed away when not in use and you could carry a couple of spares in case they got damaged.... Access would be through the two big rectangular access doors Oliver is installing for me on the sides of the doghouse.

After using it a while, there will probably be some obvious places that need extra protection, like the front of the steps and the low-hanging fiberglass near the frame. Any small "sand blasted" areas I would get covered with white or gray Rhino Liner.

I will start a Stone Stomper thread then, and we can talk about the design of the attach points and possibly combining shipping. You can pick yours up at my house ;)

I don't plan to tow on gravel to any large degree this year, so I would probably do the SS over the winter. Here in Eastern WA you can't tow until late March anyway, due to all the deicer crap and sand on the roads...

Four weeks until my wife and I leave for Hole-in-the-Wall to pick her up....!

Hey, can you edit your profile so that we know here you live?

John Davies

Spokane Wa

• Thanks 1

Ah, well I was thinking that you might be having your stone stomper shipped to Oliver but if you're not, then saving on shipping cost wouldn't work out. Keep us posted though - I'd like to see what you come up with for the final design.

take off the doghouse

John,

I never laughed so hard when I read your term for the propane tank enclosure. :)

Interestingly, Airstream uses the term "Nose Cone", as in a lear jet, to describe a similar enclosure on their future Nest fiberglass trailer.

John, you might not want to consider a new career in marketing. :)

Buzzy

• Thanks 1

Buzzy

2016 Oliver Elite II - June 9, 2016
2016 F150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Max Towing