Anyone using a TPMS?

geO

I've been debating this with myself for a few months. I returned yesterday from a month-long trip to Big Bend National Park and other parks and destinations in Texas. I have TPMS for the tires in my tow vehicle and this alerted me to a slow leak in one of my TV tires. The tire had a screw in the tread and I was able to have it fixed for less than $20. The screw could just as easily found its way into one of the Oliver's tires and I don't check my tire pressure daily. This convinced me! I plan to purchase a TPMS system for the Ollie before my next trip. I researched systems and decided that the TireMinder (www.minderresearch.com) was the one I'd purchase. Unfortunately, they make many different models and I haven't decided which one to purchase yet. I'm interested in hearing from other Oliver owners who have a TireMinder system.

Don

• Thanks 5

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Prior to picking up Twist one year ago (tomorrow) I purchased a TPMS that was on sale at Northern Tool for about $100.  While it is better than nothing, there are times when one or two (usually on the street side) of the tire monitors stop working.  The fix is usually as simple as taking unscrewing the sensor from the tire stem and immediately putting it back on.  This Spring I'll look at the "problem" in a little more depth to see if there is a simple fix.  However, for the money and the peace of mind - most of the time and always on the curb side - I don't think that I'd be without this system.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

II researched systems and decided that the TireMinder (www.minderresearch.com) was the one I’d purchase. Unfortunately, they make many different models and I haven’t decided which one to purchase yet.

The iPhone version looks really nice - I like that I wouldn't have to install a separate monitor, and the separate signal booster is also a plus.  If you end up getting one yourself, please post your experience.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

I've used a monitoring system on my single axle Elite for about 6 years and it gives me a good sense of awareness on The Wonder Egg's tires.  Great peace of mind with only one tire on each side.  Be sure to have your tires rebalanced with the TPMS on.

• Thanks 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

We've seen many RV's with a lot of damage done when not realizing that they had a blown tire early enough. We've owned two different brands of monitors. The first brand was expensive junk.

We now have the TST Truck System Technologies model  #  TM - 507 SE. We also needed the repeater that the company sales. We have used it for many miles and are very satisfied with it. You might want to call their office in Atlanta and talk to them before deciding on which unit to buy and why. That's what we did and they were very helpful.  This is the unit that they suggested for 24 foot Oliver Legacy Elite 2.

Our Chevy truck came with monitoring system already installed so we just needed this for the four tires on the trailer.

Just wanted to let you know what we use.

Hap

• Thanks 3

http://www.fiveina5th.com/landing/top-4-tpms-systems-comparison/

I caution that anybody planning to drive in inclement weather or on harsh paved or unpaved conditions be sure to pick a system with sealed transmitters (pressure sensors) to avoid water entry and corrosion. I plan to order this one - it is highly regarded in the offroad community (Australia) - read the last link for a though "harsh environment" review in the Outback. Plan on replacing all the sensors every five years. Yes, that will be expensive. Consider it to be Extended Road Hazard Insurance.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Doran-360RV-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-4-Sensor-p/360rv4.htm

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Doran-360-RV-Wireless-Tire-Pressure-Sensor-p/3602.htm

https://www.exploroz.com/Members/33714.000/5/2014/Tyre_Pressure_Monitor___Doran___360__Review_.aspx

Notice that you can get Doran kits with up to 14 sensors, so you can retrofit an older TV that does not have a factory TPMS. I would not bother adding a fifth sensor for the trailer or TV spare. It will not suddenly fail, and you can just check it every month or two with a good gauge to make sure it has not leaked. You do still need to check your trailer and TV tires with a gauge periodically. The sensor readings are not that accurate.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I purchased a Tireminder 66 TPMS with four sensors and the booster.  Also I am changing the valve steams on the trailer to the high pressure metal type and having the tires rebalanced before we head out in the spring.  Tireminder said you can use the rubber valve steams but highly recommends you upgrade to the metal valve steams.  The booster will be installed in the propane tank location, easy access to the 12 VDC needed to power the signal booster.

Our TV has a factory TPMS installed.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Me too. We just have a few trips with it, but the system does give a lot of piece of mind on the road and works very well. We got the EEZ system:

http://eezrvproduct.com/t/tire-pressure-and-temperature-monitoring-systems-tpms-3

We got the sealed sensors and not the flow through type, for the reasons JohnD mentioned. I would also recommend replacing the rubber valve stems with rigid metal ones. I popped off both tires and took them to our local tire place where they swapped the stems out and rebalanced the tires. Maybe Oliver uses metal valve stems now, but am not sure. A bit of an extra expense but glad we did it.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

Me too. We just have a few trips with it, but the system does give a lot of piece of mind on the road and works very well. We got the EEZ system: http://eezrvproduct.com/t/tire-pressure-and-temperature-monitoring-systems-tpms-3 We got the sealed sensors and not the flow through type, for the reasons JohnD mentioned. I would also recommend replacing the rubber valve stems with rigid metal ones. I popped off both tires and took them to our local tire place where they swapped the stems out and rebalanced the tires. Maybe Oliver uses metal valve stems now, but am not sure. A bit of an extra expense but glad we did it. Dave

Dave

I've been told that it's better to have the metal stems but having said that I've used them with the rubber valves for many, many miles with no problem. I think that I remember someone at OTT telling me that I could have ordered the trailer with metal instead of the rubber valves but I'm not sure if I've remembered correctly. If I were ordering a new OTT I would ask. The next time that I have the tires balanced I will have them changed to metal. I've also been told not to get the flow through type.

Thanks for the good advice.

Hap

Edit - We are having our OTT serviced in about a month while on the road. I've called and added balance tires and have rubber stems replaced with metal stems to the work order. Thanks for the reminder.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Roughly six years ago, we got the TST system, after we got a bolt in a Rick tire, which the truck system alerted us to, in time to save not only the tire, but the rim.

We were in rural Quebec, French speaking, but a young guy in the next business managed to send us to a tire repair place in an "English" town nearby.

We bought the TST system because it had the best ratings then.  We bought three tire monitors, to have a spare. Their customer service has been excellent. We have the earlier sealed units, without the capability of user replaceable battery. The factory has to replace batteies.

<p style="text-align: left;">Last year, I had  to send in another monitor. Beverly suggested I send in the display unit, too, and they programmed for us. $20 or $30, plus shipping, and a renewed unit, including programming, in less than a week.</p>

<p style="text-align: left;">Im quite happy with their products, and service.</p>

<p style="text-align: left;">Sherry</p>

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

In 2011, in rural Quebec, after picking up a bolt in a truck tire ( truck pressure monitor system alerted us to the problem before we lost the tire and rim), and dealing with the issue in my very limited French, we decided it would be a good idea to install a Tpms for the trailer tires as well.

We chose the early TST system. Best ratings then. We bought three of the monitors, to always have a spare. As we were replacing our 40k tires anyway, we got the metal valves. The older style monitors do not have a user replaceable battery, but have a great seal.

Last summer, I had to send one in for replacement, five years later. $20 or 30 plus shipping got us a rebuilt tire mounted monitor, plus they reprogrammed the display unit, as well.

Nice people, great customer service, and quick turnaround. I give them 5 stars plus, from my experience.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Does it matter if air or nitrogen is in the tire? I would think not, as numbers are pressure driven?

TPMS is an interesting subject that we had not considered, but now will become a priority. We have them in our vehicles, and they have flagged problems early enough to save many times over the systems potential cost. Thank you...

• Like 1

Does it matter if air or nitrogen is in the tire?

No difference whatsover, don't pay extra for nitrogen. While there are benefits in certain situations, it is snake oil when used in regular automotive tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191

Unless you plan to carry a 3000 psi nitrogen bottle with you on road trips to make pressure adjustments each time you lose a little nitrogen, or the outside temperature drops ....

I suspect that your Oliver gets N2 in the tires for two reasons:

It sounds high tech, therefore it must be good.

It minimizes pressure drop during storage, so it prevents a trailer sitting in their storage lot from losing pressure, a little. Maybe....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

One more thought. Our TST system gives us a temperature readout for each tire. Probably most of them do now, but it's a great feature.

You'll normally see a rise in temp as the daytime temp rises, and road friction raises the air temp in the tire, but a very sudden spike could indicate a bearing problem. It's reading the air, not the hub temp, but it at least can make you aware before a major issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

One more thought. Our TST system gives us a temperature readout for each tire. Probably most of them do now, but it’s a great feature. You’ll normally see a rise in temp as the daytime temp rises, and road friction raises the air temp in the tire, but a very sudden spike could indicate a bearing problem. It’s reading the air, not the hub temp, but it at least can make you aware before a major issue.

I expect the tire temp climbs after using the brakes hard, for example, descending a mountain pass. Does that show?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 1 month later...

Here is a great option- the Dill kits use OEM style sensors mounted internally, and they have a 5+ year service life. No worries about water corrosion, failed seals, theft or pranks. Unlike some generic kits for cars, they are available with sensors of various stem diameters to fit trailer wheels (measure yours!). They come with a cute magnetic roof receiving antenna that can replace the stubby one, and a trailer signal booster is available at extra cost.

http://trailertpms.com/home.html

I will pass .... I really like their internal sensors but the rigid aluminum stems are too vulnerable to curb or offroad damage.

tpms-service-dill-tpms-sensor-d-1206-a-1

I want rubber stems so they can flex instead of break. Also, being able to swap external sensors from trailer to trailer or to remove them entirely when not needed is a big plus for me. I am still set on the excellent Doran kit.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 3 years later...
On 4/2/2017 at 4:43 AM, John E Davies said:

I am still set on the excellent Doran kit.

Have you since gotten this kit, and if so how has it  worked out in the field?

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I've never heard of them before. I see it has user replaceable batteries. Which is a double edged sword. No need to send away for service, but from what I've read, they can be more problematic than sealed units.

We have had consistently fast, excellent service from truck systems (tst) in Georgia  on our sealed units.

But, that price is certainly appealing,  and excellent reviews.

I'd order two extra as backup, if it were me. But, it looks like only the set of 4 is on sale.

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4