Anyone using a TPMS?

geO

• Moderators

That unit sure does look a lot like the EZ Tire TPMS but the GUTA is a bunch cheaper.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

TST system, one color monitor, 2 sensors and a repeater. I got mine from Alice at Accent my ride in Duluth, Ga. The price was 239.00. She can get other items too. Nice lady, she met me half way in the Target parking lot. I know the price was right...alot less than the TST company she gets them from. I did not need the repeater on my 17ft Casita but kept it in case I need one on the Oliver. They work great and I was so relaxed knowing with a glance at the monitor that all was good. It monitors the tire pressure and the temperature.  As you drive the tires and axles warm up and you can see the increase in both and then they stay constant. Safety First!

accentmyride@outlook.com

20200829_092530.jpg

Edited by Fran
  • Like 1

Not sure about all brands but my 2021 GMC came with 4 tire sensors to install in your trailer tires.  The sticker showed it as a $50 option.  These sensors send info to the OEM screen when you have the trailer connected.   Not sure when this feature became available but would be worth checking to see if you have a similar option on your vehicles.

John

• Like 1

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

• Moderators

I think that this has been mentioned before - but - if you are ordering a TPMS then strongly consider getting six (6) sensors, or, if your tow vehicle does not already have a TPMS you should get ten (10) sensors.

Rarely (if ever) does the tow vehicle spare tire have a pressure sensor on it and they are usually difficult to get to.  Then, of course, you will need four (4) more for the Ollie II and the last of the six would be used for the spare tire on the Ollie.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
added detail

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

SNY - 

Most newer TV's come standard with a TPMS.  Both my current and former truck had it and our Subaru Outback has it along with the two previous Volvo's.

• Like 1

Many vehicles do not have a true TPMS, the only thing it looks for is low pressure in any tire, then the idiot light flashes. My Land Cruiser shows all four pressures (to the nearest 1 psi) plus the spare tire. It would be nice if the TV system showed everything, including temperature. Having not owned a Big 3 truck later than model year 2006, I can’t comment on the newest ones. Do they show pressure for each tire? Is the alarm setting adjustable, for example if you changed tire types, or aired them down to 20 psi for off-road?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

TG Bill,  Thank You.  do not let my sense of humor in any way dismiss your sincere response.

We have a 2010 GMC 1500, and Wifey will have to be pretty comatose to agree that I need a new TV, just so i now have On-Board TPMS.

I have been looking at upgrading to a (new or recent) 3/4 ton, and came close to committing to a used one on the forum a couple of months ago; However the planets were not quite aligned, for it to happen.  

I will go with the 8 (4+4) remotes & Monitor and continue to look to that elusive truck.  And it gives me one more screen to monitor... Not really, Co-Pilot does  all that.

• Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

Our "newest" tow vehicle is a 2008 dodge ram 1500, 4x4, hemi. It has the idiot lights that show low pressure, but not tire pressure numbers. Still valuable. No way to monitor trailer tires.

I am in the camp of --if you own a reliable vehicle, with proper ratings, run it til you really, really find something else you want. Or, in our case, we hope to run ours til it dies.

I'm excited, and also concerned, about all the new tech in trucks. As in, if the truck always "backs in for you", how do you learn when it "doesn't ", because some board component fails? (More for new people than us, obviously. )

Conversely, I will have to say, that I  love the new safety features of newer vehicles, that we obviously do not have, like  blind side monitor, always on rear camera, pexestrian awareness, etc. 

And, hopefully,  someday when I'm less confident about driving, the autopilot programs will be perfected. I know it's been really, really difficult for my mom since she gave up her driver's license. 

My two cents. Probably worth the same.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Both of the trucks (2011 and 2017 F-150) and the 2020 Subaru only show tire pressure - no temp and no alarm setting except for the "alarm" of the idiot light telling you that they are low.  I'm not sure what happens with either if there is a "blow out" other than that same idiot light coming on.  As far as "airing them down" they do automatically adjust for this event once the vehicle is driven either a certain speed and/or distance.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators

We changed our valve stems to metal when we added the tpms.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

We changed our valve stems to metal when we added the tpms.

We also changed our stems to metal and had the tires rebalanced with the TST TPMS sensors installed about 4 years ago.

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, geO said:

The owner of this tire shop told me even the steel ones fail because I asked him about that. SeaDawg, how long have you been running them?

Eleven years. 

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

58 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Eleven years. We have transferred metal stems to new tires, actually. 

WOW... looks like I need those steel stems. Guess I'll search the internet for them. Thanks SeaDawg, I wonder if living in the desert has any impact. I do know rubber gets messed up quick in my environment.  

I purchased Tuson TPMS and had them installed in my Oliver Tires before we headed out last February.  It works very nice.  The display shows Tire pressure and temperature.  The TPMS are installed in the tire and replaces the existing stem.  The TPMS is only activated after the trailer starts moving and there is a delay before shutting down.  Batteries are integrated into the TPMS, so the entire unit will need to be replaced after about 5 years.

David 

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

1 hour ago, GraniteStaters said:

I purchased Tuson TPMS and had them installed in my Oliver Tires before we headed out last February.  It works very nice.  The display shows Tire pressure and temperature.  The TPMS are installed in the tire and replaces the existing stem.  The TPMS is only activated after the trailer starts moving and there is a delay before shutting down.  Batteries are integrated into the TPMS, so the entire unit will need to be replaced after about 5 years.

David 

Keep an eye on the temps as it can help avert a huge problem.

• Moderators

Boy!  I wish I had one of dem thar things!  Really looks nice.

On the topic of TPMS - I too have metal stems for my TPMS.  But, metal stems are not necessarily the greatest thing on earth.  While I believe that metal stems generally do a better job when these external TPMS sensors are used since they "flex" less than the rubber stems.  But, in the event you are going down a rough road (off road for the most part) and hit a rock, tree root, deep rut in the road, etc. the metal stem could get broken or cracked where it is possible that the rubber stem would simply bend a bit and keep on trucking.  Also, generally speaking, a rubber stem would be a bit easier to repair in an emergency situation versus the metal stems.

Bill

39 minutes ago, geO said:

I have yet to find a shop that does have the metal ones in my neck of the woods.

If you have a NAPA auto parts store near you, they stock the metal valve steams.

Tire Valve Steams - High Pressure - 02.jpg

Edited by Maverick
  • Like 3

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, geO said:

Just got this protection for my Ollie against the desert sun

147911714_10225535722004547_7576076022885987282_n.jpg

That's realky nice!

Low angle sun and heat may still affect your tires. Looks like 5 to 6 ft. high open wall?

I'd still cover the tires , imo.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4