Anyone using a TPMS?

geO

My tv has factory TPM.  I don’t have the monitoring system on the Ollie. If  there is a slow tire leak i would notice it in the trailer handling.  If it was a major blow out i would be checking my shorts before I checked the monitor. 😳

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

20 minutes ago, Landrover said:

My tv has factory TPM.  I don’t have the monitoring system on the Ollie. If  there is a slow tire leak i would notice it in the trailer handling.  If it was a major blow out i would be checking my shorts before I checked the monitor. 😳

Before a tire gets low enough to be obvious to the driver, especially with a tandem trailer, and especially on poor road surfaces where the entire rig is dancing around, the tire is probably going to be completely destroyed due to heat. Once you use a trailer TPMS, you will wonder, “what was I thinking before...? Be safe.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

One destroyed tire (and wheel well)  at speed will have you installing TPMS. My one experience on a boat trailer was enough - fun though - my wife who was driving at the time - freaked out - at 70 mph... TPMS she said YES. 

• Like 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I just purchased a TPMS system and will install in in the spring before my first trip.

Should I consider installiing a wheel counter weight oppsite the TPMS device which is installed on the valve stem, to rebalance the wheel/tire?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

Depending on which TPMS you bought - some manufacturers recommend a counter weight and some don't.  I bought the EZ Tire brand that claims re-balancing is not necessary.  But, I did re-balanced anyway since at the same time I converted to metal stems.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

22 minutes ago, dewdev said:

I just purchased a TPMS system and will install in in the spring before my first trip.

Should I consider installiing a wheel counter weight oppsite the TPMS device which is installed on the valve stem, to rebalance the wheel/tire?

If your tires are already balanced, I would not bother. I did not do it for my sensors. OTH if your tires are NOT already balanced, install the sensors and have them spin balanced with those sensors in place. so the balance will be perfect instead of just pretty close.

It makes sense to have a good baseline - you know the balance is good - before just randomly adding more weight. If they are imbalanced already, you might accidentally make them worse.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.