Any Olivers in Florida? Historic launch Saturday morning

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Back in July, 2011, my husband and I got up at 2 am to drive across Florida to see the last space shuttle launch from pad 39a at Kennedy space center.

Saturday, a little after 10 am our time, SpaceX is scheduled to launch a shuttle supply rocket from this pad. First launch on that pad, I understand, since 2011.

If you haven't seen a launch, it's really an amazing, awe inspiring experience. You don't have to be at the space complex to see it. Lots of people line the roads in a few miles radius. We never experienced it,  but I've been told by camping friends that the view from jetty park campground is especially awesome.

In the old days, we could often see the rooster tail from here on the west coast on a clear day, when the shuttles launched.

I'll be watching the sky from the boat deck Saturday morning.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Sherry,

Yes, a launch is really amazing.  While down at Bikeweek a few years ago a friend of mine and I made it over to Coco Beach for a shuttle launch.  A bit over ten miles away and one could still feel their insides rumble!  Even getting up at 3 am was not a problem after seeing that thing streak into the sky.  If you are anywhere near - get there.  You will not regret it.

p.s.  Sherry - please do not leave.  I believe that these things come and go in cycles and I'm guessing that this cycle is just about done.

• Thanks 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Top gun, kind of a leave of absence?

I'll be back. I truly have some big trips ahead, sailing and camping, that will take me out of the loop for months.

I promise I'll be back, and post enough photos to bore the heck out of everyone. Sure wish I could be at jetty park on Saturday!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Well, let's call it a leave of absence. I'll be back, after the next two big trips. And I'll post enough photos to bore the heck out of everyone.

Wish I could be in Melbourne on Saturday. I can't even explain my emotions when watching the big ships take off.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Last summer we picked up our grandson in VA and went down to the Cape for a rocket launch. We watched it from the facility at Kennedy Space Center, pretty cool experience.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63