Video on trailering to Alaska

John E Davies

This is a very good summary of what it is like to haul your trailer from the Deep South to Alaska and back. I wasn't sure where to post this, but they do have a section on boondocking (a third of their nights were free spots) so I thought it could go here.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

A very good video, surely worthwhile to watch if planning a first trip to Alaska.

A few items I'd add to a miscellaneous category: insurance. Make sure your insurance policies cover you in Canada. If not, travel medical insurance can be purchased very reasonably. Ferries can also be pricey, and, reservations often need to be made ahead of time. Not that you have to take the inland passage ferry, but it is a beautiful ride.

You can easily beat the 1 out of 3 nights of free or low cost camping. Especially in Alaska and the Yukon, and the views from some Alaska pullouts and almost free Yukon territorial parks will be much finer than high priced RV parks.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Great video, John. Thanks. You'll easily be able to up the average on free or almost free nights from 1 out of three to 2 or 2.5 out of three with shared pointer from other travelers and park rangers. In Alaska and the Yukon, you'll only have to stay in an RV park if you want to. The Milepost is helpful, but tends to ignore a lot of free places, with much better views than the RV parks.

A few items I'd throw into a miscellaneous category would include travel health insurance if your policy doesn't cover you in Canada, ferries if you want to see part or all of the inside passage with the locals, and for those of us who partake, the high prices for alcohol.

Sean was right, the grocery prices in outlying areas are really high, and not a very great selection. Stock up in the bigger towns. Canadian superstore s and Fred Meyer stores are pretty reasonable, and Canadian beef is excellent on the campfire.

Looking forward to this year's trip.

Sherry

IMG_20160621_115942926.thumb.jpg.73578287ebc8599700b46008188e256b.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks John, I subscribe to this channel and they do have some good videos, this one was very informative.  On a somewhat related note, traveling to Alaska and high elevation locales could result in running into unexpected low temps at night. This one just came across from a different channel.

While the jacks used on this diesel pusher are different than what's on the Ollie, the same situation might cause a blown fuse in our jacks if they become stuck to the ground. Good reason to use blocks between the ground and the jack pads.

• Thanks 1

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

• Moderators

As an example, Quartz Lake, south of Fairbanks, on midsummer's Eve was uncrowded on a weeknight. $15, I think, so close to free. Pit toilets, very clean . The locals use the boat launch on the weekends, so I would try for an early summer weeknight, or you'd be sandlot, side by side. No other amenities. The lovely camphosts live there in a dry cabin. They have a huge water tank in the back of their truck for their use, and sell cheap firewood. They drive 40 miles each way for showers. I told them about our portable ecotemp shower unit that we use on our private camping acreage in the woods.

IMG_20160621_243843994_HDR.thumb.jpg.4e11e14ddbb9344c9ea4c2345b95e445.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4