Water Filters

geO

• Moderators

geO,

I use a two step filtering process that is inexpensive, takes up little room, and has worked well for me for years.  First, I use those one of those "blue" filters that is readily available at RV supply locations.  Be sure to change it out occasionally and run a bit of water through it first to get rid of the loose carbon dust.  Secondly, inside the trailer, I use a small Britta water filter system.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Most people just carry an inline camco type filter, available everywhere camping gear is sold, even most Walmarts. It's inexpensive, good for sediment, and helps with some mineral and odor control.

We work from our tank, not city water, so that's usually all we carry, and just don't fill if the water is funky.

Jrbirdman has an elaborate, multifilter wonderful system that enables him to use pondwater in his Ollie....  It's a small piece of engineering, and amazing.

We have 7 filters on our home, as we capture rainwater from the roof for our water supply, but we'd need another trailer, or the whole truck bed, to do that on the road, lol. Jrbirdman's microsystem is the mobile equivalent, or better.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We have ordered a Cosco filter from Amazon. I thought $48.01 was a lot (guess we been out of the business for a while). Comparable at the local HD was over $65. The one we are getting does an excellant job of removing that clorine smell we can't stand and any sediment. And we all know it is out there. We will 'upgrade' to brass fittings and probably a longer hose. When we finally find "great" water, we fill the tank and use for coffee and drinking.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
Most people just carry an inline camco type filter, available everywhere camping gear is sold, even most Walmarts. It’s inexpensive, good for sediment, and helps with some mineral and odor control. We work from our tank, not city water, so that’s usually all we carry, and just don’t fill if the water is funky. Jrbirdman has an elaborate, multifilter wonderful system that enables him to use pondwater in his Ollie…. It’s a small piece of engineering, and amazing. We have 7 filters on our home, as we capture rainwater from the roof for our water supply, but we’d need another trailer, or the whole truck bed, to do that on the road, lol. Jrbirdman’s microsystem is the mobile equivalent, or better. Sherry

Is JrBirdman still on the Forum?  I would love to see more about his system.

-Angela

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

• Moderator+
Is JrBirdman still on the Forum? I would love to see more about his system. -Angela

You can find a discussion about his filtration system and other things in this thread...

Hope this helps.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I'm still here! ScubaRx saved me the trouble of digging around for the old post on this subject.

The system works great and is available in AC or DC powered versions, as is the Wayne pump. As for the chlorine dioxide, some folks get nervous because of the word "chlorine" in its name. A little research on the 'net will give you a good background on its use/safety. If you're drinking tap water at home, the odds are that it was purified using chlorine dioxide.

Also, it works great as a waste tank treatment, so now one bottle of chlorine dioxide serves both purposes for me since I no longer have to worry about stopping at Walmart for tank treatment. 1 ounce treats 30 gallons, so it saves space, too.

• Thanks 1

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

Hmmm - obviously that's a great setup if you're pulling your drinking water from the dump station, lol.

Just kidding, of course, but seriously, you guys know I'm no stranger to overkill so what's the real world benefit of that setup over just a dual canister sediment + carbon block filter?  The purogene I understand, but the two-stage sediment filter and the UV treatment seems excessive unless you really are pulling water from a bog regularly.  Maybe you can convince me otherwise.  Right now I have their SED1 and F1Pb dual canister package and will probably use the purogene treatment.

Also, I'm curious about needing the transfer pump - I would have thought that the Oliver's water pump was strong enough to pull water through these filters.

The purogene I understand, but the two-stage sediment filter and the UV treatment seems excessive unless you really are pulling water from a bog regularly.  Maybe you can convince me otherwise.

I have no desire to convince anyone of anything. I obtained the system specifically for the trip to Mexico and now use it only occasionally such as when extreme boondocking in very isolated places where the only available water is from lakes and streams. Travelling south of the border the choices are limited: one can either sanitize water with such a system or wrestle with several 5 gallon containers every few days. Or risk the consequences. Ditto for extreme boondocking.

As many others have stated, there are numerous and various levels of water purification systems available. Use what suits you and is appropriate for the circumstances.

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

Also, I’m curious about needing the transfer pump – I would have thought that the Oliver’s water pump was strong enough to pull water through these filters.

It probably is as long as the water source is located fairly close to your Ollie. But most of the times I've used this system I've had to pump water from the source into a 40-gallon bladder in my truck and then drive to Ollie and pump it through the filters and into the Ollie.

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

I’m still here! ScubaRx saved me the trouble of digging around for the old post on this subject. The system works great and is available in AC or DC powered versions, as is the Wayne pump. As for the chlorine dioxide, some folks get nervous because of the word “chlorine” in its name. A little research on the ‘net will give you a good background on its use/safety. If you’re drinking tap water at home, the odds are that it was purified using chlorine dioxide. Also, it works great as a waste tank treatment, so now one bottle of chlorine dioxide serves both purposes for me since I no longer have to worry about stopping at Walmart for tank treatment. 1 ounce treats 30 gallons, so it saves space, too.

Thank you for replying!

Was wondering if you had a fresh link for this part of your original post:

[ I use a triple canister system with Sterilight UV from the RV Water Filter Store:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/index.htm ]

It says "the requested item is not available at this time".

Kyle had been looking into an NSF part 55 class A rated system.  In my husband's opinion, there is no going overboard on water filtration after he had a bout of Giardia while camping. :)

-Angela

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

Sterilight-UV-AC_540x360.jpg.72b6d0b9efce694d133dc1e216821b15.jpg

Try this:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/US.htm

I have the AC powered 3 GPM Sterilight system. Other options (DC, 5 GPM, etc.) are available. The reason I chose AC is that my F-150 has convenient AC power ports and a short extension cord makes life a bit simpler if I can't quite get the truck really close to the water source.

Also, here is a link to where I buy my Purogene:

http://billydump.com/3r/3rhome.htm

The OdorCon product on this page is the same concentration of chlorine dioxide but is not "food grade", per a call to the maker. Rather than carrying two different bottles of the stuff to save a couple of bucks I just use the food grade version (Purogene) for everything.

• Thanks 1

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• Moderator+

I can't speak to how Aubrey might inject the purogene, but when we sanitize our freshwater tank with Clorox, we mix the proper amount in a couple of gallons of water in a bucket and simply pump it in through the convenient  auxiliary tank fill that Oliver installs on all the trailers.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+

That's the way Pete says he sanitizes his tank. He will take a half a cup or so of Clorox and pour it into the hose and then connected to the faucet and turn it on.

I would be doing my sanitizing in the same manner had I not installed the electric transfer valves in the Outlaw Oliver.  Getting down under our beds to  manually turn the valves was, in my opinion, just too much trouble. Now it is a simple matter of flipping one switch to reverse the valves and another to turn the pump on.

That’s the only way I can see to do it, but it sounds like Aubrey uses it for every tank.  It’s just an ounce, so maybe pour it down the hose before you connect?

That's exactly right. I operate solely from my onboard fresh water, so I keep a 1-ounce syringe with my Purogene bottle. A few inches of plastic tubing attached to the syringe makes it easy to fill and then just squirt it into the hose. The label on the bottle also has instructions for sanitizing the tank and is a bit safer and easier than using Clorox. Refilling the tank before storage (with 1 ounce Purogene per 30 gallons water) keeps the tank in a sanitized condition.

• Thanks 1

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels