Alaska 2018

olderthandirt

Anyone looking ahead to next summer for an Alaska trip - doing either the Alcan, by ferry, or both? Would be interested to know if other Ollie owners are thinking of heading up in 2018. Would also be interested in hearing about previous Alaska trip experiences in your Oliver trailer.

AZCOILINKSKYMOMTNETNUTWYsm.jpg

OTD

Former Owner Of  2016 Legacy Elite II Hull#138

2017 Silverado 2500HD High Country Duramax

• Moderator+

We are currently  having a custom bra made for the Outlaw Oliver in anticipation of a 2018 Alaskan trip.  The first prototype has been fabricated and a test fitting has been done.  The second prototype is now being created, it will be sent to me for another fitting and any adjustments needed will be made.  I will then return it for the working model to be produced.  If anyone has any thoughts or comments about this project and/or how it should be attached to our Olivers please feel free to make suggestions. This is still very much a work in progress and there is plenty of time for adjustments or modifications before it will be used next year.

• Thanks 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

There are lots of posts here and on Fiberglassrv.com as well, I would read them all. We went in 2012 and last summer 2016 just a couple quick suggestions. go to Glacier and cross over so you can stay in Waterton NP, Banff NP, Jasper NP and the Canadian Ice Fields ( you can stay at the Ice Field Visitor Center for $15 canadian just a parking lot but directly across from the Ice field ) "BEAUTIFUL",  just out of Jasper you can go north to the start of the Alcan in Dawson Creek. Make reservation for those like Denali now they will all be full. Do the usual  along the way Laird Hot Springs , White Horse, Sign Post City Watson Lake, etc. and if you are willing go north before entering Alaska and head up to Dawson City and Chicken to do the Top of the World Hwy check for the weather if nice go if lots of rain save for the return portion and back track to the Alcan. One thing to remember watching when the Salmon run you want to be there like Homer, Steward, Haines for the salmon which bring all the Grizzly Bears to the salmon runs to feed and like in Valdez you will see the Bears, Seals, Sea Lions and Eagles have a Buffet at the  salmon weir across the bay. The salmon start running in July some early some late. Stay at Provincial parks as well busy on holiday and weekends need to be early on the nice ones to get a site, get the Mile Post tells you everything on the road. Then after leaving Alaska return back down the Cassiar Hwy into Washington state doing the 101 coast Hwy to the redwood Nat. Park in Crescent City Calf doing if you can Mt Ranier, Cascades National Park, Olympic Nat Park, Then head NE to do Crater Lake NP moving east ............ On the Cassiar good road go to Hyder in and out of Canada and Alaska........Ok I'm jumping around but a few thinks to look at and see if it fits your style travel slow enjoy and have an extra memory chip for the camera you'll need it......PS I would be out of Alaska by end of August, in 2012 we left Aug 25 and the water lines froze first two nights in Tok and Haines City, gets cold at night by then and most private camp grounds are closing by Sept 1st or the Holiday in Alaska, norther BC and the Yukon Territories. Also clothes for rain, Cold Rain, Hot Summer, and we had snow mid June in the Canadian Ice Fields with ice on the truck in the morning use the layer effect. Ok no more but U will Love it as they say " Just Do It" ....Thanks Gary

• Thanks 7

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Steve when we went to Alaska last year Lee and I took closed Cell Foam 1/8 to maybe 3/8 inch thick which goes with the contour of the Oliver  from the Belly band down and the corner running lights in around the front. This is where even with a truck rock guard you will get bounce back. I used Residue free Duck Tape which I found at Lowes or Home Depot took at least a roll per trailer and didn't put it on till British Columbia when getting on the Alcan.  We left it on till returning since there will be lots of miles of road construction in BC, Northwest Territories and Alaska they only have a few months to do this work and most do not get paved in the same year. ( Rock roads were smoother than the Frost Heave paved ones just dusty or muddy ) The one thing to remember you do not want the dust and you will have lots of dust and Mudd  getting behind your shield because then the wind etc will rub and scratch the surface and thick enough to stop the rocks from reaching the gel coat. Taping the Closed Cell foam worked really well for us and when we pulled it off about a month later the tape held in the rain, sun, heat, cold, coming off with very little if any tape or glue residue and keeping it clean and dry behind. I had lots of dings and chips in 2012 when we took the Casita at that time with out the foam. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

We are currently having a custom bra made for the Outlaw Oliver in anticipation of a 2018 Alaskan trip. The first prototype has been fabricated and a test fitting has been done.

Steve, c'mon you had a test fitting... There must be a picture or two...

Anymore details? Materials, padding etc..

Thanks

• Thanks 2

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Hey I see we have the same truck, to answer your question GREAT we never had any problem quieter than the others on the market, road nice and lots of room with the 4 doors and a must have 6.5 ft bed, a bit stiffer than my F150 i had before, the ford was only the 5.0 so to me it was underpowered to a 5.7 probably would not have changed if not for 5.0 engine I had hard time in the mountains with it. Lee and Terrie in Oliver Hull 82 have one as well and he seems quite happy with his Hight County Duramax also. They went with us on the Alaska trip as well and if all goes well we are doing the Maritimes again this summer over to Newfoundland and back. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

• Moderators

I'll definitely second the suggestion to "just go!"

Our Alaska trips have been amazing adventures. Weather is not predictable, but we like late may and June. It's colder, but less crowded. And fewer giant mosquitos and flies.

The ferries can become expensive with a truck and trailer. That said, it's a beautiful perspective you will never get from the shore. Book early northbound. Southbound in midsummer is cheaper. Everyone is going north.

If you are traveling with pets, not service animals, ferries can be a little scary for you and your pet. They have to stay in the trailer in the noisy car deck. You can visit for a half hour or so every four to six hours, and walk them outside at most port calls. Still, it's not easy for either of you.

I wouldn't recommend a ride straight through from Whittier to Prince Rupert with a pet. I'd want to break it up. The short inside passage from the north end of Vancouver island to Prince Rupert is not as tough, easy sailing, and amazingly beautiful.

And, camping in Vancouver island is beautiful, too.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The Alaska marine highway website isn't very user friendly. I recommend calling. All the agents are really nice, and quite informative.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

A word of warning.... firearms are perfectly OK on Alaska State ferries transiting through Canadian waters to Alaska from Washington. But if you disembark with your rig at a Canadian port, be darned sure that you have the all proper documentation, have paid the fee, and that your firearms are 100% legal there! If one gun is prohibited, you will be arrested.

I am not sure what would happen if you were transporting a gun that was illegal (like a revolver with a barrel shorter than 4.2 inches) and the ferry had to make an emergency stay in a Canadian port for repairs, and everything and everybody had to be off loaded. What would happen in a case like this? Has this happened before? Surely there is some sort of protocol for this situation...

PS, if you haven't tried the excellent Alaskan bush novels by Dana Stabenow, you should read a few, in order. Here is her first one as a free ebook. They get much better as she developed her writing skills.

http://books.noisetrade.com/danastabenow/a-cold-day-for-murder

https://www.amazon.com/Dana-Stabenow/e/B000AQ3BA0

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+
....Steve, c’mon you had a test fitting… There must be a picture or two… Anymore details? Materials, padding etc.. Thanks

IMG_1868.thumb.jpg.be668c0695fda9dbcf8a1ef763474785.jpg

IMG_1869.thumb.jpg.c96bceca197d3cb821b0768c124f66c8.jpg

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I saw the LoLoHo video on the costs of going up there and back. Granted they started out in Alabama, but the costs seem to be pretty high especially of you have breakdowns like they did. The costs seem to be on par with taking a cruise one-way. Not bad considering that this trip can last a couple of months. Maybe once in a lifetime but it still seems worth it. I anticipate the planning will be a huge part of this.

Hans

OTD

Gary, I started out pulling Hull 138 with a 2014 Suburban 4x4. My trip to Moab, UT last spring was a real eye opener, especially trying to make it over those mountain passes along I-70. Since then I had a bad case of truck envy. I finally pulled the plug last month and traded in the Suburban for the 2500HD Duramax. Haven't pulled anything with it yet - still waiting to get some new miles on it first. I took it out for a spin from Denver to Breckenridge last weekend. It was everything the Suburban wasn't, especially going downhill using the diesel brake exhaust with the trailer towing setting engaged. I set the downhill auto speed to 60 leaving Eisenhower Tunnel and it deviated by only 2 mph from that setting the whole trip down. My type of speed control!

Hans

• Thanks 1

OTD

Steve - what's the material?  Neoprene?  Will there be a separate cover for the nose or are you just protecting the main body?

And how are you going to attach it?  Snaps seem like the first choice, but maybe twist stud fasteners & grommets would be another option.  What about adding some adjustable straps at the corners and some D-rings on the hull so that you could cinch it tight?

I can't wait to see the final project.

Thanks for the photos. I will definitely be interested in the final product. Please share once you have more info.

On a side note - what's up with the super duper looking shore power connection? Looks a little beefier than normal.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

We committed again tonight for another trip to Alaska. Not in the Oliver. Delivering a new RV for a friend to Anchorage for rental.

We've done this trip several times now, and can't wait to do it again.

Last year was pretty much fair weather, other than several days of rain in the Olympic peninsula. Hoping for similar weather this year...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

So, we're leaving in a few days for our next Alaska trip.

We'll miss the rally (again), and I'm truly sorry.. tomorrow, I am taking all the stuff out of my duffel, and cutting it in half, I hope.

I can't lift it with one hand, so it's too much.

Pack light, pack layers. My motto.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4