Queen in a King

zzlay

My wife and I are beginning to look for a new RV.   Our kids are both off to school and don't camp with us so often, so we're looking for a high-quality, smaller camper.  But neither of the Ollie floor plans really fits us.  The twin bed plan is not what we're looking for...but we also don't like the idea of sleeping on a King that has several cushions pushed together.  We sleep on a queen at home, and wondered how an RV Queen would fit in the standard floorpan.  It would be a bed full-time...no changing out for this space to serve as a dinette.  I'm sure the rear walls of the Ollie are radius'ed.  We're wondering if a 60" wide queen can fit against the rear wall of the trailer given the curved corners.   Also, I understand the length of the space (front to rear) is 75".  Do I have that right?  Thanks for the help.

stuart

zz

Welcome Stuart, I'll post you some exact measurements tomorrow, unless someone already has them, regarding the space available.

The nice part to never planning on switching it out is the ability to get and cut (the radius) in a high end foam mattress, I've done it with a Temper-Pedic for the twin and it is definitely more comfortable than the cushions.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Hi Stuart, if you're thinking about sleeping across the back, then the width and measurements are all available under the travel trailer section above. But really it comes down to how tall you are and how you sleep because for me, the width is too short for me, so we sleep lengthwise and have a queen mattress for this at home. We upgraded the cushions to the thicker 6" latex with a 3" temperpedic filled and the king is perfect as is. We still sleep together in the center and we have extra pillows and Karen's boxes of coloring gear along the outside. So we're not going to pull the cushions and put the queen mattress in this trailer because it isn't needed. We also have a 12" wide shelving unit that fits over her side of the cushions and covers 4', leaving her head and upper body area open for her arms. I think the 2 center cushions are around 30" wide, so there's your 60" queen. Then the 2 - 15" are outside of our sleeping area. You really should look at one with the upgraded latex mattress because it's really a worthwhile upgrade. But... I think that we are the only couple that have bought it with the King upgrade.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Hi Stuart, if you're thinking about sleeping across the back, then the width and measurements are all available under the travel trailer section above. But really it comes down to how tall you are and how you sleep because for me, the width is too short for me, so we sleep lengthwise and have a queen mattress for this at home. We upgraded the cushions to the thicker 6" latex with a 3" temperpedic filled and the king is perfect as is. We still sleep together in the center and we have extra pillows and Karen's boxes of coloring gear along the outside. So we're not going to pull the cushions and put the queen mattress in this trailer because it isn't needed. We also have a 12" wide shelving unit that fits over her side of the cushions and covers 4', leaving her head and upper body area open for her arms. I think the 2 center cushions are around 30" wide, so there's your 60" queen. Then the 2 - 15" are outside of our sleeping area. You really should look at one with the upgraded latex mattress because it's really a worthwhile upgrade. But... I think that we are the only couple that have bought it with the King upgrade. Hopefully this isn't a repeat post because this tablet isn't agreeing with this post... Lol.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Welcome Stuart, I’ll post you some exact measurements tomorrow, unless someone already has them, regarding the space available. The nice part to never planning on switching it out is the ability to get and cut (the radius) in a high end foam mattress, I’ve done it with a Temper-Pedic for the twin and it is definitely more comfortable than the cushions.

Randy, is that an actual TemperPedic?  I didn't know you could get one custom made.  We've been looking at memory foam mattresses and the difference in quality among brands is surprising.  I'd love to get a true TemperPedic cut to size.

Yes, it's a real Temper-Pedic, and it's really custom (by me) made the template out of cardboard, the used a $10 electric bread knife to cut up a real Temper-Pedic mattress. I've never found quality in any other brand.

You know, measure twice - cut once, except in this case, measure 5 times, double check it again and then slowly cut (questioning it the whole time). Cause I am not buying another one if I screw up.

The nice part is you can get both twins from a queen mattress, if your perfect or start with a king for some wiggle room.

Another thing you can do is get the Temper-Pedic 3" topper, it's the same 5lb main foam just without the supporting lower densities below it and use it on top of whatever you have. These can be found fairly reasonably at Bed Bath and Beyond (we get 20% off coupons in the mail all the time)

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

We bought the 3" Temperpedic for ours from Costco and you can't feel the seams in the cushions at all. This gives us the ability to roll up the Temperpedic with sheets, blankets and all on rainy days and have people in to play cards or what ever. We did put an actual queen size mattress in our Casita and then added shelves on one side. Unfortunately we never took a picture of it but you can basically see what we did inside, in the beginning of this video and we have the same set up in our Lil' Nugget, right now.

It was very comfortable but with the Oliver Latex King upgrade, coupled with the 3" Temperpedic topper, our mattress is in need of a new home now. The shelving unit is still at home along with the rest of our gear, and that will be going in when we get home in another month. It's held in place by the cushions and it's simply a U shaped circular PVC frame with a piece of 12" x 48" shelving attached to it. It was another accessory from Little House Customs that works really well.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Hold the phone! The  Oliver cushions are not cheap cushions… When I sat on it for the first time I could do nothing but smile. They're not cheap trailer cushions! They are high-quality, with great comfortable density, and I think you could get away with a 2 inch Tempur-pedic cover to make it the most restful sleep you've ever had. Thank you

• Thanks 1