Tailgate, can it open when hooked up?

Mainiac

• Moderators

Canoe12,

Most likely, but maybe not.  It depends on the height of your hitch, the motion and drop of your tailgate, whether or not you have the basket option, etc.   There is no definitive yes or no to this question . . . it depends.

In my case, I have an Elite I with a (the tongue is set at the optional middle  length . . .  something not adjustable with current rigs).  My TV is a Tacoma and I have a 2 1/2" rise on my hitch.  My tailgate folds down without a problem when I am hitched to the trailer.  If I use my hitch with a bike rack receiver addition, I cannot open the tailgate.

Tell us about your tow vehicle and whether or not you will have a basket.  If someone here has the same setup they might chime in and let you know.

Pete

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

My 1995 Ford F-250 4-wheel drive tail gate clears the hitch by a couple of inches. Bottom of my gate when open is 30.25 inches off the blacktop. Hope this helps. Good luck.

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

One of the advantages of the long Oliver tongue is being able to open the tailgate.  My Ram tailgate opens with no clearance problems when hooked up.  The front part of the tongue even becomes a convenient step to get up into the bed of he truck.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Thanks, I'll have to do some measuring. On my 2016 2500 Ram it is 23" to the bottom of the 2" tow tube. So I know I will need a drop hitch to get the top of the ball at the recommended 23 1/2". Also I want to get a better one than what I have now, something rated at least 10,000 lbs. Have waited until we take the snowplow off to get an accurate measurement on height, but after 60" of snow so far, we are not sure if it's over.

Our intial concern was not wether we would hit the hitch or not, it was whether we would touch the leveling jack. Seems like that is not a concern like it is on our utility trailer.

How much higher is the Bulldog and components than the top of the ball?

You shouldn't have any clearance issues with a HD Ram. These are tall trucks. Look at the first page of the Elite II brochure. That pic shows it connected to a Sequoia which is considerably lower.

Here are the Install Instructions for the Bulldog....  http://www.bulldogproducts.net/support/installation/N028243.pdf

I think it comes with the H Style, with the conventional vertical lever on top. You could swap it for one of the lower versions, or just extend your ball out by using a longer ball mount. You aren't going to overload that truck with a longer one, though it will reduce the departure angle some, if that matters to you....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks, I think I am going to be ok. The bottom of the tow tube is 23" high and the recommended "top of the ball" for towing the Oliver is 23 1/2". That means I will have replace my triple ball mount with a 4" drop (maybe 5"). My concern is I am going to add a ladder to the inside of the tailgate to gain access to the bed as we have added a tonneau cover. We don't want the added weight to cause us to drop and dent the tailgate as we have with the old truck. (We get on the tailgate when cranking the boat on it's trailer..a lot dryer that way). We tow up to 6 different trailers, so we will have to be careful as they are all different...

Canoe12,

Here's an older photo, top of the Bulldog Hitch latch to the rear view camera is about 1 1/2", not 3 1/8", my mistake.

IMG_1503-M.jpg

Here's how the Elite II tows with empty tanks connected to the 2016 4X4 Tundra with 1 " rise ball mount and top of ball before loading is 22 1/8":

IMG_0922-M.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just an FYI, it's inexpensive, and works great for us.

We carry a little Rubbermaid folding two step ladder for access to the truck bed. When not use, it holds a home Depot water cooler, with ice,at the campsite . My friend installed one if those drop down tailgate ladders. I feel much more stable on the inexpensive, wide base rubbermaid that we've toted around for nine years....

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

IMG_1503-M.jpg

Your pic reminded me, I need to bring a padlock with me to Hohenwald in a month. What is the largest padlock diameter that will fit through the latch holes? Is yours 1/4"?

Also, there are way too many threads hanging past the coupler nuts. Have you raked your leg on one yet? I suggest that you cut them nearly flush with the nuts and grind the ends smooth.... I hate shin hazards like that. It's already hazardous enough maneuvering around a hitch.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

IMG_1503-M.jpg

Your pic reminded me, I need to bring a padlock with me to Hohenwald in a month. What is the largest padlock diameter that will fit through the latch holes? Is yours 1/4″?

Also, there are way too many threads hanging past the coupler nuts. Have you raked your leg on one yet? I suggest that you cut them nearly flush with the nuts and grind the ends smooth…. I hate shin hazards like that. It’s already hazardous enough maneuvering around a hitch.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I think it's a touch smaller then 1/4". My Masterlock wouldn't fit but there was room to drill so I opened it up to 1/4" for it. It seemed strange that the outside was smaller then the normal size lock but the inside was 5/16" give or take, so there was plenty of room to open it up. I figured it was a Bull Dog gimick to make you buy their lock but who knows... I'm sure that they can drill it out for you at Oliver if you don't feel like bringing a drill. I,ve only needed a drill otherwise for a few pilot holes in the drawers, but that's it.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

IMG_1503-M.jpg

Your pic reminded me, I need to bring a padlock with me to Hohenwald in a month. What is the largest padlock diameter that will fit through the latch holes? Is yours 1/4″?

Also, there are way too many threads hanging past the coupler nuts. Have you raked your leg on one yet? I suggest that you cut them nearly flush with the nuts and grind the ends smooth…. I hate shin hazards like that. It’s already hazardous enough maneuvering around a hitch.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

Good observations.

The Master lock shank is .25" outside diameter. Most of the padlocks I use have larger diameter shanks. I was lucky I had that padlock with me when picking up the Ollie from the previous owner.

Might not need to cut the hitch bolts off, should have reversed them while in the R&D mode fitting the Sway Master, letting the Sway Master cover them on the other side leaving only hex heads and flat washers on the starboard side of the hitch, don't remember if I've already tried this. Will see if reversing them will work. The longer Grade 8 bolts and washers were purchased for a different mounting arrangement for the Sway Master, found a better installation not needing the longer hitch bolts.

The telescoping bolt behind the hitch was previously cut off before purchasing the Ollie from the previous owner, but I need to file & coat the cut end, not going to cut it shorter since it's already close to the fiberglass cover.

Also use the long padlock shank to hang stuff on while not towing. With the newer Ollies using cables instead of chains, longer shank may not needed:

IMG_2428-M.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderator+

On our GMC Sierra there is about 5 inches of clearance from the top of the hitch lever to the tailgate when lowered.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg